STAR WARS DVDs: Changes Confirmed!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ACK!, May 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Are the pics the same on each? Do you have a picture you could post?

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

No computer enchancement. I know they cleaned up the picture and video somewhat, and got THX approval I believe. Sourced from better prints than earlier versions released in the '80s.

Now it's time for my little mini-rant:
    Lucas has said that the new DVD versions are the "official" way he wants the triology to be presented, hence there's no Special Edition in the titles of the upcoming DVDs. It's just The Star Wars Triology.

Sure, I don't like a few of the changes (the extra dancing band in Jabba's palace in ROTJ :hurl: ), but overall, the changes account for maybe 1% of the movies, right? I can live with minor changes for the dramatically improved sound/picture quality. Some of the special effects really needed to be redone or cleaned up. They just looked unfinished and dated on some matte paintings and visuals. If GL has a bazillion dollars and wants to touch up some things he never could have done in the '70s, I say go for it. We have to take the good with the bad (disputed changes).

End of rant. Not directed at anyone in the thread, just IMHO. :D

3. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

They are the last ones to come out before the SEs were released.

Sean

4. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

You know, I'm not even positive that those particular prints of the trilogy were released in widescreen (aka letterbox) format on VHS...I got the laserdisc versions on ebay earlier this year in widescreen and they say W I D E S C R E E N . E D I T I O N on a coloured band at the top of each disc cover, so if they are available in widescreen on VHS, I'd look for the same thing.

Just found it on ebay, so the widescreens DO indeed exist in that edition, and have that coloured band I talked about. So look for that. :righton:

5. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Ugh, that new version of the 'dragon call' sounds absolutely ridiculous. Why George, why? :realmad: Gotta love the carrot chewing foley effects on the Darth scene though. :laugh:

6. GabeG

GabeG New Member

I agree 100%. If anyone is going to try to hunt down the original laserdiscs or boot dvd, you're wasting your time by not at least seeing what this set has to offer. Star Wars has had tons of tweaks done to it since the day it was locked. I don't agree with many of the se changes, but to stew about how horrible Lucas is and how these aren't the films you remember is just a waste of time.

Despite the changes, in many ways while watching Star Wars I felt like I was when I was 10 watching it in the theater. That was quite a surprise for me, especially since I haven't felt that way since I was kid and have seen the film many times since on vhs, laserdisc and the theater.

7. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I saw the three individual movies from 1992 today. If thy don't say widescreen or pan & scan, they are pan and scan, right? Anyone know how the 1992 releases are?

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Regarding Darth's voice "changes", I don't get it!

Did you notice in the first version how "natural" Darth's voice was (if natural is the right word). In the second example the voice sounds TOTALLY No-Noised! Really bad job!

9. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

That's what I thought, too....the orig. seems more uh...gritty?...sharp?...just more natural, and it makes a better IMPACT..yeah:)

10. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Can't say I agree with you guys on this one. This is one change I kind of like. It's closer the TESB and JEDI. Revisionist I know, but I like how full it sounds now. After seeing TESB and going back to Star Wars when it was re-released I remember thinking how small he sounded compared to empire.

11. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Am I reading your post right...the "first" version in the sample being the new version, or by "first" are you referring to the original voice, which is the second in the sample?

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Ya see, now you got me all worked up because I can't get my hands on the DVD for another 5 days! ;) If you already got your mitts on a set, I'm green with envy :D

13. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

You want small-sounding? The "Empire of Dreams" documentary has footage of David Prowse, the "man in the suit" doing Vader's lines while filming (before James Earl Jones dubbed his lines in) and it's HILARIOUS!

14. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Yeah, I like how the ILM guys were so let down when they heard Prowse's voice. There never though of Vader as having a "scottish" accent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.