Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Classicolin, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

If bad CGI and changing the soundtrack doesn't bother you then congratulations. Lucas even threw in clipping and color timing changes for good measure.

2. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Yeah, yeah, yadda, yadda, whatever. I'm not try to change your opinion - I'm merely trying to express mine.

And as far as I'm concerned, my opinion is the one that counts.

To me :laugh:

scobb and David Campbell like this.
  3. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Did I say I " liked" or endorse the Special Editions? I own them but only because they are the only legit means to own those movies. It sucks that the SE are the only official releases on Blu Ray and I think George was being a bit petulant when he insisted that the original cuts of the original trilogy be locked away,but until 2012 it was George's decision to make .. because Star Wars was his. Now it's Disney's. We will see if Disney ever releases the original cuts of Star Wars.

It may not be what everyone wants or likes,but it's just is. And complaining about it on an internet forum isn't going to change it.

Those movies and this franchise doesn't belong to us. The memories we had and have watching those movies and the times both good and bad related to those films are ours,but the movies don't belong to us and never did and never will.

I think as fans collectively we all came to that realization and just chill out a bit, we'd all be happier and not be constantly filled with nerd rage. Things happen how they are supposed and at the end of the day,it's not life or death. It's just movies about imaginary people doing imaginary things in an imaginary place.

But,that's just, like ,my opinion,man.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    sunspot42 likes this.
  4. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Lex Luthor is a lot farther up the list than I thought he would be.

5. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Silly me, I thought discussing things (even complaining) was the entire point of an internet forum.

6. David Campbell

Well if cake #4 was poodoo ,then why come back for cake #5 and #6? Most people would stop at cake #4 and not order another cake from that baker and go to another baker. If the cake was so repulsive to you,you just don't keep going back,you go " nope, not for me.",maybe give some constructive feedback to the baker,see if they offer a refund and if not,move on and take your business elsewhere. If you are still buying cakes that are not to your liking, here's a newsflash....NO ONE IS MAKING YOU BUY THOSE CAKES. If you still are and are still complaining about them,that is on you.

Apparently for a lot of people George made cakes that were different but were still tasty enough to sell lots of cakes in the later 90s and early 2000's. Enough so that M. Mouse foods bought the bakery in 2012.

Now,if you'll excuse me I'm going to have some cake. Not sure why....

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  7. David Campbell

No one is saying otherwise. It just gets to the point where there are only so many times one can say " only the original trilogy is great, everything else sucks and if you disagree with me you suck" before people stop taking said opinion seriously.

Sammy Banderas and BeatleJWOL like this.
  8. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

It's worse than that. Everything after Empire sucked... I'm totally serious right now.

9. David Campbell

While I don't completely agree that EVERYTHING since suck,all I will say is that outside of the throne room scenes with Luke,Palpatine and Vader and part of the space battle, virtually the rest of ROTJ just doesn't hold up compared to the previous two and it ranks lower for me overall than any of the Disney era movies so far and one of George's Prequels (Episode III). I think nostalgia blinds people to it's flaws. That's even before the special Editions made it a little worse.

Ironically,ROTJ is actually the first Star Wars movie I have clear memories of seeing before I actually became a fan. It used to be my favorite when I was younger but that's changed.

Probably why I'm sort of looking forward to TROS while some are dreading it. ROTJ wasn't really that great of an ending to the saga in my opinion. Yeah,it was a decent end to Vader/Anakin's story but it always felt like it should have been more. George never intended Jedi to be the final end and it only became that during production because he was exhausted emotionally and physically and in the middle of his marriage collapsing. So it became a rush job to wrap it all up and in retrospect it's so obvious that is what it was.

By the way....do you like Huey Lewis and the News?

:D;)

sunspot42 likes this.
  10. David Campbell

He is the greatest criminal mind of our time after all ...

Always knew that pompous bald bastard was Sith material.

Grunge Master likes this.
  11. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Lucas must have felt there needed to be some kind of objective data proving that Anakin was strong enough with the Force to justify taking a small child away from his poor mother. But I doubt anyone would have objected if Qui-Gon Jinn had just said, this kid is crazy powerful (maybe not in those words).

Not to defend it too much but I would say the idea was not supposed to be that the midichlorians create the Force, just that they measure someone’s potential ability to use it. It’s a more mundane way of saying “the Force is strong with this one.”

BeatleJWOL and David Campbell like this.
  12. David Campbell

I think the scene that sort of seals midichlorians infamy is the exposition scene later when the story stops for Qui-Gon to tell the audience through Anakin to explain what they were.

I personally never thought midichlorians "ruined" or even contradicted anything in the OT. It just was a case where Lucas felt he needed to explain something that really didn't require explaining in the first place. Everyone got it the first go 'round.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  13. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It undoubtedly spoils the magic to learn you can just give someone a blood test to find out if they can use the Force.

But one could argue that this is never mentioned in original recipe Star Wars as there is no Jedi organization looking for potential recruits.

BeatleJWOL and sunspot42 like this.
  14. David Campbell

Notice that it never was mentioned again after TPM. I think even George realized most people didn't need or want a scientific thesis on how the Force worked.

Apparently the concept of midichlorians was always there in Lucas's mind all the way back to the early drafts of what became the first Star Wars. I'm not sure they were actually called midichlorians but the idea of symbiotic relationships and how that related to the Force was always rattling around in George's brain.

If you do enough research you'll find a lot of the stuff that ended up in the prequels were things he had in mind when he was writing various drafts of what eventually became A New Hope. There's one draft that I remember seeing parts of online a few years ago that looked a weird mash up of the plot of The Phantom Menace and A New Hope. I wish I had bookmarked it because it was fascinating how certain ideas that originated in the mid to early 70s didn't make it to screen until 1999.

JediJoker likes this.
  15. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Except, you know, in that now-famous quote from RotS:

16. David Campbell

I stand corrected.

Ok...after the prequels they weren't mentioned again.

However,I wouldn't put it past JJ to mention them somewhere within TROS if only to tie things back to the prequels and check off that particular box .

JediJoker likes this.
  17. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

I think Rian Johnson succesfully and tactfully ticked the "prequel call-back" box in TLJ without mentioning midi-chlorians:

BeatleJWOL and TrekkiELO like this.
  18. Brian_Svoboda

Brian_Svoboda Senior Member

Obviously his two year hiatus from “The Jeffersons,” when he purportedly traveled to the Soviet Union to be a diplomatic translator, was just a cover story for his remedial Jedi training.

19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Admit it, pro or con, you guys are going to be sad when there is no more new Star Wars to argu...er...discuss :D

BeatleJWOL and David Campbell like this.
  20. Brian_Svoboda

Brian_Svoboda Senior Member

I would have built Eps 7-9 around midichlorians. Here’s my plot: the Empire collapses, and Luke re-forms the Jedi. But led by a family with fame, fortune and high midichlorian counts, the dark side of the Jedi (pardon the pun) is the temptation toward fascism and belief in a master race. Here’s where Kylo’s training goes wrong: fueled by pride, he's a little Hitler in waiting, and his First Order becomes a warmed-over New Order. That’s why Luke runs away: while his high-midichlorian count nephew starts rounding up the untermenschen, he’s haunted by the words, “The Force is strong in my family.“ And this is where Rey comes in: she is really is nobody, and her parents are nobodies, and yet she’s an immensely talented Jedi for no apparent reason — kind of like Luke back in Ep4. So Rey brings democracy to the Republic and purifies the Jedi, and everybody lives happily ever after, for now.

twicks, David Campbell and sunspot42 like this.
  21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Meh. They don't speak gibberish. I'm not sure why the displays have to be written in gibberish. My assumption would just be that things are being translated for the audience...

22. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yup. I feel like some (not all!) of the people complaining about the sequels must not have seen the prequels.

Or maybe they've blocked them from their memory...

:biglaugh::hide:

23. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I think the sequels (so far) are vastly superior to the prequels. TFA is a shameless retread, but the acting is pretty much uniformly great, and it just looks and feels more like Star Wars than any of the overbaked prequels did. TLJ almost holds up as a work of cinema, the first film in the series since Empire to manage that.

(Although I haven't seen Rogue One. It looks more like a Star Wars flick based on what I have seen than any other film since Empire...including TLJ.)

I don't think they all sucked. I think The Phantom Menace is awful. Clones and Sith are a mixed bag - they feel like films that could be fixed with better editing. TFA is a retread, but it works for the most part. I liked TLJ although it's not quite as good as it could be. At least though it's original, something we haven't really been able to say about any of the films since Empire. I know the prequels were packed full of ideas, of design, of effects...but they were such a mess they didn't feel particularly original. Especially since The Fifth Element had already beaten The Phantom Menace to theaters by a couple of years. By the time we finally saw Coruscant...we'd already seen that.

24. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I guess that's an explanation, but it's one that wasn't needed. A human conversation between Qui-Gon and Anakin's mum would have sufficed. But George can't write dialog worth ****, so...

:shrug:

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  25. David Campbell

Oh don't worry. There will be new Star Wars. Even if Episode IX flops like the "Fandom Menace " is literally praying to their dark God Mr. Plinket for,that will not stop Disney from making more movies set in this universe. Plus there will be at least two TV shows upcoming willing and able to ruin childhoods and fueling Geeks and Gamers YouTube channel clickbait circlejerk hate videos for years and years to come.

Star Wars will outlive us all,and that thought comforts me.

Jim B., marmalade166 and sunspot42 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.