Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Classicolin, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I don't consider the Prequels to be part of Star Wars. Everything I need to know about what happened before the original film (A New Hope doesn't exist) Obi-Wan told to Luke in the OT.

Solaris, mpayan, Matthew and 2 others like this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, I think that was the original idea. I also think that Lucas was mulling over bringing Anakin in as another character in a later film, and that maybe he wasn't really dead. There were a lot of story ideas floating around, but what they ultimately did was probably the simplest way to tell the story. The problem is, Lucas didn't know in 1977 what he was going to have to do 20 years later in order to reconcile 6 or 9 different movies.

I think it's very telling that when Disney rejected Lucas' ideas for Episodes 7-8-9, one of the things that was revealed was that Lucas was continuing the "Midichlorian" story line to explain where The Force came from. It's interesting to note that none of the sequels have even mentioned this word, as far as I know.

There's a school of thought with the James Bond series, that some people consider the Sean Connery films to be self-contained, and none of the other films are "real" and count as part of the story. Some purists might say, "really, only the Ian Fleming books count, and the movies are separate because they changed so much of the novels." Other people say, "yes, all of these things happened to James Bond, minus the specific years," so they're all part of the same canon. I'm in the crowd that says, "jesus, it's just a movie! Sit back and enjoy the show, and don't think so much."

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  3. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

I'm pretty much of the same mind here; I want to like the prequels but they're just too fatally flawed to be enjoyed as a whole... events, characters, and timelines for the backstory mentioned in the OT don't align with what we see in the PT, for one thing. Everything we needed to know about the backstory was told in the OT; it's there for necessary dramatic context and character development... seeing those events actually happen onscreen didn't make the OT any better or the story more resonant... in fact, it diminished them somewhat. If you want to watch the OT with a clear conscience, erase the prequels from your brain.

The Sequel Trilogy has been an underwhelming rehash of the OT to date with little actual story substance behind it... and if Palpatine returns alive and well in some form for the upcoming film, it will be officially the moment that SW jumps the proverbial shark tank!!! He was thrown down a shaft, then exploded, then the space station he was in was blown to smithereens... how one comes back from that is sure gonna be interesting to see...

Frankly, I'm more of the opinion that the OT - in their original theatrical versions - aren't just part of the story... it IS the story; a satisfyingly self-contained, three-act saga with a beginning, a middle, and a definite end.

Now all we need is to get those aforementioned OT theatrical versions officially remastered and re-released on Blu-ray (2K or 4K, I'm good with either)... after that, I'm officially done with the 'Wars, it's outstayed it's welcome (imho) and I'm now bored of it... but I'll always love and watch the OT and that's a mark of just how good those films were and still are.

Matthew likes this.
  4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Obi-Wan never told you how much Anakin hates sand though. For that reason alone the prequels are essential.

5. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I gave TFA a chance, but after the disaster of the last film, I don't consider the new sequel to be part of Star Wars anymore. I would put Rogue One and Solo in the canon before TFA and TLJ.

Wounded Land likes this.
  6. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Several years back, this Italian dude hired David Prowse to recreate that iconic scene in place of Sebastian Shaw but instead, with Prowse. A pity that Lucasfilm has prevented the guy from showing this in public as it would be really cool to see Prowse playing Vader rather than Shaw.

7. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

All I saw were action sequences, people running about, rey & kylo laser sword choreography (badly I must say), horse riders on moving spaceships, and floating Palpetine. I seriously know nothing about the actual story or plot. Can anyone honestly tell me what the movie is about?

marmalade166 likes this.
  8. Michael Rose

Based on trailer 3po was getting sentimental about some passing acquaintances. He has zero history with anyone in that scene.

twicks likes this.
  9. greg_t

greg_t Senior Member

Righ, the trailer does not reveal anything about the plot, which is their point. Everything is secret and the plot wont' come out until Dec 20.

supermd and Michael Rose like this.
  10. greg_t

greg_t Senior Member

Can't base anything off of a 10 second clip from a trailer of whose there or what the context is of what's going on.

11. Michael Rose

Disney will make this the profitable SW movie ever. But I'm sure reality will show us different. Just like Galaxy's Edge. A lot of smoke and mirrors.

12. Michael Rose

Also, Anakin is not good with kids. Like at all. How was he redeemable after ending the lives of two dozen little kids. If RoTS was released in the last few years, Lucasfilm would've been apologizing for that scene. IMO of course.

13. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Hahaha. Funny gif. But I just don't see Vader's age as one of the more egregious scientific inaccuracies in the Star Wars franchise! It's riddled with BS through and through.

There's the whole concept of the lightsaber which is problematic.
    BB8 rolling over sand without treads
    spaceships making sounds and explosions in the vacuum of space
    ships flying in space like they would in an actual atmosphere,
    parsecs as a measure of time
    the whole idea of hyperspace,
    midichlorians wtf!!!
    blasters making a gun sound, or any sound at all
    the starkiller base -- that's a doozy!
    At the end of Jedi the Death Star blowing up over Endor would have sent enough debris and nuclear material to kill off the planet .

David Campbell likes this.
  14. Michael Rose

[​IMG]

A white Styrofoam cup glued on to a canteen. Great idea for a toy Disney. :righton:

Yes I'm a hater. :agree:

ssmith3046 likes this.
  15. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Hey, just imagine if Lucas had gone all out and inserted Hayden Christensen into the death scene as well as the force-ghost replacement on the DVDs!

(Shudder).

Michael Rose likes this.
  16. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I was about to type "and his charred corpse thrown into the vacuum of space where nothing can survive," until I remembered Leia doing just that in The Last Jedi.

So...they're gonna do this.

17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yeah, it's getting truly frightening.

sunspot42 likes this.
  18. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I thought that guy was Billy Joel,seriously!

FVDnz and ssmith3046 like this.
  19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Do people actually try to plot a timeline to Bond films? They just... happen, with a few exceptions, like M dying or his wife being killed. I am totally OK with a fresh start, as if each adventure was unnumbered in a row of uncountable missions.

20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

You know what? I like that. WAY too many movie trailers tell you the whole dang movie nowadays. I want trailers to be enough of a glimpse to peak my interest and see the movie. That's all they are for.

Besides, does anyone really need to see a new Star Wars trailer to determine if they may or may not go and see the movie? You either will or won't, trailer or no trailer.

mpayan and starbuck like this.
  21. starbuck

starbuck Forum Resident

I agree completely with that, even after seeing the last one in the series which I can't say I exactly enjoyed that much. I have still happily pre-ordered to watch a special 'trilogy' screening at my local cinema for the day before release with a midnight screening of the new one to round it off, all for the same price of a single film too.

supermd likes this.
  22. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

Sounds about right, Disney/Pixar already had another great toy idea, a spork called Forky for Toy Story 4 from earlier this year!

:cool:

Michael Rose and ssmith3046 like this.
  23. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Well, this, at least, was addressed in Solo. Very cleverly, I thought.

Juan Matus likes this.
  24. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Of course they are.

25. Maybe they can use Billy Joel.

FVDnz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.