Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Classicolin, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Or "live action" reimaginings... I like your idea better though. Start filtering Fox properties back into those big spots.

David Campbell and Deuce66 like this.
  2. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I honestly think the big stink over the end of Game of Thrones sealed Benioff and Weiss' fate as far as being stewards of the next illeration of Star Wars. The Fandom idio...er,Menace were already sharpening their knives for them and after seeing the asinine bullcrap flung endlessly at Rian Johnson, they and Lucasfilm probably mutually decided that it's probably for the best that they move on. Ironic though since one of the possible reasons for the "rushed" final GOT season was because they were working on Star Wars.

And yes,various members of the Fandom Moro...er Menace are already collectively cackling in glee and have submitted this as proof that "Star Wars is Dead!" And proof of their power to hold this franchise hostage to their demands and that the "fans" are "winning."

At this point,if winning is attempting to make the creative climate around the franchise so toxic that creators and the people in charge start to base their creative decisions around what a very obnoxious and loud drumbeat of negativity and hyperbole from a minority of hardcore fanatics and potential new creative voices are frightened away by these same extreme vocal fans,then I guess it could be argued the Fandom Menace is indeed accomplishing their goal. If that's the case,Star Wars will indeed eventually die.

It's not a bad idea to put the films on hold for a few years. I just hope it isn't because Lucasfilm is starting to cave to these Fandom Menace fools.

3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I don't think they're on hold, the next one is due in Dec 2022. Who knows what's going on in the background in terms of story/world development (which can take years), the 2022 timeline is already very tight if they are starting from scratch today.

sunspot42 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  4. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

Nah....this is poo that flings itself...no outside assistance required :biglaugh:

Deesky likes this.
  5. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I always thought the Game Of Thrones guys were hacks who were lucky to have great source material, and could barely function without it. They need to hand Star Wars over to a successful screenwriter or writers and give them a good year to bang out an arc and initial script for the next trilogy.

Or - better yet - don't do a trilogy at all. Do standalone films set in-universe, and if one of them takes off, produce a sequel or two to that.

6. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Do KOTOR with some good writer directors ! Make it a solid trilogy !! I have been thinking they should have done this for years. Supposedly they are working on it already ! I am looking forward to ROS tho :)

JediJoker likes this.
  7. BeatleJWOL

According to a recent talk they gave, that's actually literally the case; they stumbled into the job and were barely keeping up.

8. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

KOTOR would be too dark and adult for Disney branding. They want something more family friendly.

9. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Quentin Tarantino Star Wars yes..................

marmalade166 and sunspot42 like this.
  10. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Full rated R+

11. BeatleJWOL

Source in this article is the "Overlord DVD" Youtube channel, where (the artist formerly known as?) Doomc**k peddles garbage to the hungry #fandommenace with no conceivable way of obtaining such information. Same cesspool as Nerdrotic, Midnight's Edge, etc.

sunspot42 and marmalade166 like this.
  12. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Rey has an identical twin?
    Luke and Leia were twins.

Michael Rose likes this.
  13. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

If she does, she'll have a scar on her cheek. Scars = Bad guys.

14. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

And Mike Zeroh as well.

15. David Campbell

If you are referring to the "test screenings are a disaster/five different versions of the movie/George Lucas being drafted to fix it all" rumors,yeah it's bullcrap. Common sense should tell you it's all made up,but as we've seen the Fandom Menace is so fueled by unbridled nerd rage that overrides logic,so yeah they'll eat it up and ask for more.

16. David Campbell

Actually curiously even the Fandom Menace don't think much of Zeroh. Distaste for his "scoops" is about the only thing that unites the Star Wars online fandom these days.

BeatleJWOL, sunspot42 and FACE OF BOE like this.
  17. David Campbell

What's ironic is the stand alone Star Wars story films is the natural way forward for this franchise,yet that model it seems is on hold because SOLO tanked. Perhaps not do anymore "untold tales' like SOLO and Rouge One,but stand alone self contained stories set within the Star Wars universe. Instead of planning out trilogies they should try some things and if any of those catch fire,then follow it up. Sort of how George did it with the original films. It only became a trilogy once the original 1977 film was a smash.

marmalade166, JediJoker and sunspot42 like this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I believe Mandalorian is the #1 show on Disney+, so perhaps the standalone films are destined for the streaming channel and not theaters. Scorsese has a $150 million dollar, 3-1/2 hour film made for streaming that's now in theaters, and it's a pretty big, epic film.

19. BeatleJWOL

The Obi-Wan Kenobi standalone is already confirmed for Disney+ in the near future; I'm sure it'll all depend on how The Mandalorian fares.

20. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Based on this photo of Ewan McGregor taken at the "Dr. Sleep" premiere from a couple weeks back, I'm guessing sooner than later!

[​IMG]

21. David Campbell

Perhaps. Although I do think we may see some of the ideas floated around as possible "Star Wars stories" make their way to Disney + as series. I for one wouldn't mind an Adventures of Han Solo or even an Adventures of Lando Calrissian as a spin off of the SOLO movie. That movie almost felt like a feature length pilot to an ongoing television series.
    The guy never seems to age! It'll be interesting how they do age him up to look a bit closer to the Alec Guinness Ben Kenobi from A New Hope.

I'm glad he's getting a second shot at Obi-wan. He was the best thing about the prequels.

22. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

By far.

Plan9 likes this.
  23. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

I would say Ian McDiarmid was absolutely the best thing about the prequels... he almost made them worth watching... I said almost ;)...

sunspot42, marmalade166 and Jim B. like this.
  24. David Campbell

Yeah,Ian revelled in Palpatine. That's the biggest reason I'm excited for IX. Seeing an actor sink his teeth so completely into such a deliciously evil role is great fun.

Id say Ewan and Ian were both great given what they had to work with dialogue and script wise. Ewan kind of made the cornyness work for him and Ian sort of transcended it. I always get the sense Lucas let him cut loose in a way he didn't allow others.

sunspot42, BeatleJWOL and The Hermit like this.
  25. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Yes, I have to agree with the Hermit here. I rewatched them again (for the thousand time) recently and although Obi-wan is good the acting and dialogue is a bit wooden at times, so I think it's a an exaggeration to say he was the best thing about the prequels. McDiarmid's performance has aged better I think and is more subtle.

For that reason I ma not really fussed about an Obi-Wan series tbh. We'll see.

The other great thing about the sequels was the world building, which gets taken for granted. The worlds of Star Wars should be wonderful strange places, and I think we got that in the prequels. Lava planets, planets with giant plants etc. This new trilogy by comparison has been quite boring - desert, snow and forest, like they are trying to save money or something. It shouldn't look like the Forest of Dean when they go to some strange world, it should be weird. But most of the new locations basically look like earth locations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.