Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Classicolin, Sep 12, 2017.

1. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

More like midlife Crisis Yoda.in the High Republic era Yoda would be about 400-500 years into his 900 year old lifespan.

" Red Ferrari I must buy. Twilek waitress at the Hooters on Coruscant ,I must impress".

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Michael Rose likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Every Batman project from 1992 to 2004 was disappointing or completely tanked (and don't forget the millions WB lost on the Superman Lives project in 1996-1997). I credit Nolan as coming up with a way to bring back Batman in a way that was fresh and new, and it not only made big money, it got great reviews. I didn't totally love the films personally, but I recognize they were very well-made, and I bought tickets to see them all. From a business point of view, Nolan did a great job and brought new life to a franchise many thought was dead.

I think Star Wars is far from dead, but Disney realizes the value of hiring new people to come up with new takes on the series and create new characters, new worlds, and new adventures for audiences to enjoy. I can see it as a framework for a lot of different kinds of stories.

3. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

For myself ..... It was the supporting players that made Nolan's trilogy great.
    Prefer Affleck to Bale Bat anyday.
    The recent Bat movies suffered from himself and Alfred seemingly putting all the tech together.
    Gordon/Oldman having a prominent role too .......and the best supporting character being Freeman as Fox.

4. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Batman Returns was a box office disappointment for sure,but Batman Forever was pretty huge and made a ton of money ,even though it was a pile of Bat guano. It made so much money they fast tracked Batman and Robin and... well...we know what happened there.

Agreed completely about Star Wars. I don't get the whole argument that Star Wars is dead without the Skywalkers at the center of the stories. The Mandalorian is proof that audiences will still engage with Star Wars without a Skywalker even in sight. The setting itself and the iconography is the brand and probably has been for a long time. George created a universe where the possibilities are limitless.

There is no doubt the 9 episodes that make up the Skywalker saga will always be the "spine " of Star Wars in the same way that Star Trek the original series is and will forever be the "spine" of Star Trek,but those universes and the settings will and should live on and grow beyond the initial creation and it's creators. There will be doubtlessly bumps along the way and things that don't work out,but ultimately Star Wars will flourish ,no matter what some fans seem strangely to be hoping for. It will outlive the Generation that saw that first film in 1977 ,as it should be.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits and Abbie: Best Dogs Ever

This remains wrong.

"Batman Forever" was a big hit. It was viewed as a comeback after the relative disappointment of "Returns".

And even though it wasn't as huge as WB would've liked, "Returns" was still the 3rd biggest hit of 1992, and it made a profit, as did "Forever".

"Robin" is the only one that lost money...

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The first Tim Burton Batman film cost $35 million and made $411 million; Batman Returns was a ton of trouble to make, took twice as long to shoot, and cost a whopping $80 million, but "only" wound up making $266 million. That's a big disappointment for WB, who assumed that if they spent twice as much, they had a good chance of making (say) $350M+ at the box office, but it stalled-out big time. I was on the set for the latter, at least for the days they shot at Universal, and there was a lot of chaos and craziness on that show. There's a lot of reasons why Tim Burton didn't get to do a third Batman movie.

7. greg_t

greg_t Forum Resident

Hard to call 3 movies that made over a billion each a dead franchise.