Star Wars Episode VII: The Spoilers Awaken

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DreadPikathulhu, Dec 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member Thread Starter

For those that have seen the film. I'm going in full throttle on Thursday.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    Front 242 Addict and ponkine like this.
  2. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

It will be a crowded night!

[​IMG]

3. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Yeah, I broke down and bought a reserved seat for Thursday night. I could only get one at 10:30 p.m. Going to be a tired Friday.

John K.

4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Review embargo ends Wendesday 12:01 AM. I might have to go off the internet until I see this film.

5. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Get me the heck outta here!

6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

High praise..... indeed.

7. DreadPikathulhu

8. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Don't think it's a spoiler to say the early reviews have been rhapsodical.

That said, the crowd of the Hollywood premiere would obviously be very predisposed to love the film. Still, I'm inclined to hope there is an element of truth here...

9. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Seeing it on Friday afternoon. I could've decided to go to the the Thursday night showing but I don't want to fight all the crowds. At least on Friday, the kids are still in school and won't have to put up with all the racket.

I'm going to avoid all the reviews, not watch any of the entertainment shows, news, etc. until after I see the movie. Then I will read and watch all that to see others' opinions on the movie.

10. DreadPikathulhu

I'm going to try to avoid reading tomorrow's reviews though I may skim the headlines.

11. drasil

drasil Former Resident

somebody please tell me the telegraph didn't decide to spoil the entire movie in their most recent headline about it that I happened accidentally to see just now.

12. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

If its the " mark hamill goes to the dark side " headline, then relax. It's a mention of Hamill tweeting about autograph flippers on ebay and his being annoyed by it. Nothing spoiled!:)

drasil likes this.
  13. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

I'm seeing it in roughly 8 hours here in Melbourne, Australia. Bit of fun viewing it at 12:10 am, probably with die-hard fans (although the cinema we booked at wasn't near selling out).

I'll be happy to divulge whatever anyone wants to know (or not, as requested), albeit with major spoiler content warnings. But, I have to ask: why would anyone want to ruin it for themselves or others? Apart from just being a jerk, why kill the fun of it?

14. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Question: Why hasnt Chewbacca gone gray in 30 years? lol

hidden1one and Humbuster like this.
  15. DreadPikathulhu

He has an extra large bottle of "Just for Wookies"

spindly, Eric B., cooper16 and 12 others like this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wow, great quote from Variety's review:

"In the end, “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” suggests the work of a filmmaker who faced the exciting yet unenviable task of partially reassembling one of the most beloved ensembles in movie history, furthering their characters’ adventures in a meaningful fashion, and helping them pass the baton from one generation of action figures to the next — and emerged, in the end, with a compromise solution that, even when it’s not firing on all cylinders, has been put across with sufficient style, momentum, love and care to prove irresistible to any who have ever considered themselves fans. Risking heresy, it’s worth noting that Abrams actually did smarter, more inventive work on his 2009 reboot of “Star Trek,” no doubt in part because he was working with a less heavily guarded enterprise. “Star Wars,” at once a cultural juggernaut and a sacrosanct institution, resists any attempt to reimagine its landscape too aggressively or imaginatively; that may be to the detriment of this diverting first effort, but Abrams has more than stoked our anticipation for what his successors may have up their sleeves."

I consider this very positive, though perhaps not quite a rave.

http://variety.com/2015/film/reviews/star-wars-review-the-force-awakens-1201661978/

17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

18. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Currently has 97% on Rotten Tomatoes with 110 critic reviews. And it seems the bad reviews suggest that the critics wanted something more unique and less like the original trilogy.

Is that a bad thing that it's very much like the originals?

mmars982 likes this.
  19. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

My wife and I have been pretty avid readers of the Star Wars books over the past few decades (when they were actually canon). The first time that pic of Chewbacca and Han Solo showed up, she said "Everybody knows in the real world Chewbacca is dead" LOL. She's a keeper.

(for those who don't know, Chewbacca was killed off in a controversial book by R.A. Salvatore called Vector Prime, with the blessing of the franchise)

captainsolo likes this.
  20. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Every review that I've seen, however positive, has the same caveat or reservation amidst the praise -- that there's maybe too much "give the people what they want" in the movie and that results in more homage than true originality, even though Abrams is good at putting a fresh spin on old ideas.

The movie is obviously designed to be the "anti-prequel" and deliver an old school Star Wars experience. It may be up to the next installment, made by the quirkier Rian Johnson, to break new ground.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    scotth, drasil and marblesmike like this.
  21. DreadPikathulhu

bluenote, Juggsnelson and marblesmike like this.
  22. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

23. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

I'm sure The Force Awakens is a rollicking good time for all, but I think the Forbes review pretty much nailed the apparent way in which he new film is almost a beat-for-beat remake of the 1977 film;

Say what you will about the prequels and their visual callbacks (and wow is series low-point Attack of the Clones a slog before its final show-stopping reels), but George Lucas didn’t just retell the same story a second time out. He told new stories and offered truly eye-popping action sequences (the “Duel of the Fates” in Phantom Menace, the entire last act of Attack of the Clones, and the whole first reel of Revenge of the Sith) that raised the bar for popcorn blockbusters in their day even as the likes of Lord of the Rings and Spider-Man encroached on Lucas’s territory.

Still, I'm not worried, all the new film has to do is chart it's own course not end up there - that's for the sequels to do - and I'm confident in Rian Johnson to achieve that goal for the next installment (only 18 months away, we'll probably get the first teaser in about six months, think about that!), so as long as ... Awakens is enough of it's own thing (which apparently it is, albeit by the skin of it's teeth) and is a blast from start to finish, that's a win and I'll take it.

Vidiot likes this.
  24. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Yeah, highly derivative - but I think Disney likely felt it had to make amends for the prequels, and also prime the audience with goodwill for the coming onslaught of the modern franchise. Still, Rey and Ren are multi-faceted and interesting characters - and light years beyond the plodding ciphers of the prequels. Sure, there are some missteps, and the final aerial attack against the 'Star Killer' (heh) planet thing feels undercooked and almost dull, but the final light saber duel was very entertaining and Ren's moment with Solo was well acted by Adam Driver. Indeed, Driver and Ridley are the most engaging actors in the film, and very much outshine the big returning names (Solo and Chewie almost play as mere comic relief, with Ford doing his best bumbling 'old guy' routine that he appears to have perfected on late night talk shows these past few years).

Still, an entertaining film with much to recommend it. Solid B or B+ in my book...

Jason Manley and Lord Summerisle like this.
  25. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

So who do we think Rey is? Those flashbacks suggest there's more going on with her than the obvious...her being Lukes daughter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.