Star Wars Episode VII: The Spoilers Awaken

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DreadPikathulhu, Dec 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

And to tie this back to our Music Forum...

Watching Han and Chewie together in action doing what they do best felt great the same way it does watching Mick & Keef out there on stage still kicking a$$ doing what they've been doing for 50+ years. They may not hit the highs like they used to but man what a joy to still be able to watch them in action.

Adam9, dlokazip, LSP2003 and 2 others like this.
  2. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

Forgot to mention - C3PO's first appearance was classic Star Wars.

3. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

You mean the magic of being a youngster and seeing such a visually enthralling film? Yeah nothing will recapture that magic. Sometimes I think people have expectations that are so lofty that nothing can ever possibly meet them.

4. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

I agree. I was going on 5 when SW came out. SW has had a role in my life for as long as I can remember. Like music, it is just one of those "constants" in my life so it's hard for me make comparisons of the new movie to the OT. Every once in a while those "constants" re-emerge in a "live" way and going in you know there will be tons of hype and you hope that payoff on the other end will deliver. For the most part, the prequels didn't do that for me. Last night was great and it kind of reminded me of the feeling I had after seeing the Page/Plant Unledded reunion broadcast on MTV and seeing them on tour in '95.

WPLJ and marblesmike like this.
  5. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

For my part, I thought it was a good solid piece of entertainment, without coming anywhere near the greatness of Empire. It felt a little like it had been written by a committee of Star Wars fans - hey, let's have another Death Star! Let's have a cantina sequence! Let's have a planet like Tatooine! And one a bit like Hoth! - but the two main leads were both very good, and there's enough good stuff in to bode well for the sequels (I especially liked the way they reintroduced the Falcon).

That said...does anybody else think that the ending was really rushed?

sunspot42, EVOLVIST, Robert C and 2 others like this.
  6. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Loved it.

V
    IV
    III
    VII

And no large gap between III and VII.

The new characters were the pleasant surprise for me. I thought they were all great.

7. Luke The Drifter

I don't know if this is how they intended it, but the Han death scene was disturbing, not because it was a "turn".

It was the idea that all of us knew exactly what Kylo was talking about, and what he was going to do, and we had to see our beloved hero walking right into it oblivious. It was a very powerful scene. Kind of like watching a car heading for someone on the road that doesn't see it.

And it was not Han being stupid. It was very real. I have a son. If he turned against me in his adulthood, I would do exactly what Han did, and would make the same mistake he made.

And that leads to a question. We all know that Harrison Ford was already confirmed for Episode VIII. Unless that was a misdirection, are we in for flashbacks?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  8. Luke The Drifter

Question.

When Kylo was talking to Vader's mask, he says something very interesting. He talks about being conflicted with the light side. Then he says to the mask (paraphrased), "I need you to show me the power of the dark side again." Or "one more time", I can't remember which.

It makes it sound like Vader has contacted Ren, and that is how he was seduced. We know Vader ended up good, so is it possible Snoke sent him some false vision of his grandfather. Is it possible that remnants of Vader's darkness are still attached to objects?

WPLJ likes this.
  9. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

I got the feeling he's mentally ill and is hearing his own turmoil reflected back as Vader's voice.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  10. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Yeah, I was expecting something else. And the spiraling flyby seemed out of place.

Regarding not having the magic of ANH, you can't recapture that. I saw Star Wars (it wasn't ANH at the time) in its first week, without knowing much about it, on a huge screen in 70mm and surround sound, with a full theater of about 500 people. Apart from the fact that Star Wars is now so embedded in the culture, that sort of experience with any film is just about impossible these days.

John K.

Mark Nelson, PH416156 and marblesmike like this.
  11. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member Thread Starter

My companion is 20 years younger than I am and his first Star Wars films were the prequels. He doesn't see the original trilogy as anything other than another set of old films, whereas I was nine when I first saw Star Wars in 1977. He didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I did an felt that the film tried to stuff too much into it and there were too many references to the original trilogy.

12. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Seen it 3 times now and I just cannot get enough of it. LOVE Daisy Ridley as Rey. Love her innocence and her naivety to all that has been going on in the Universe, and I recall somebody complain that Rey shouldn't have defeated Kylo Ren. Come on already - she's clearly had some fighting skills with that staff of hers so you'll get no argument from me.

Now, I only just learned before going in for my most recent viewing that Daniel Craig happened to cameo as a Stormtrooper. And it was BLOODY TRUE, getting Jedi Mind Tricked by Rey!!! LOVED IT! Also, somebody mentioned that Thomas Brodie-Sangster (Jojen Reed from Game of Thrones) had a cameo too. I thought I noticed him actually.

13. Luke The Drifter

I think Simon Pegg was listed in the credits too, but I am not sure what part he played.

I wonder of Kylo Ren has had much lightsaber training? Maybe Luke had not worked on that part with him yet. It is obvious his saber is crude.

Further, they did a good job of showing Rey with serious fighting skills with a saber-like weapon. She obviously knows how to handle herself. Add in that she is strong in the force, and that Kylo is fighting wounded (twice - Chewie shot him and Fin got a lucky strike in on him), and it makes sense.

14. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

just saw it and thought is was great.Something about it felt off ,I just did not care at all about blowing up the Starkiller base.In A new hope the scene at the end where Vader is on Lukes tail after R2 has been shot and everything looks hopeless,That scene I have watched 1000 times and it never stops me from what I'm doing to see how it turns out even tho I know,it's so intense.The first 30 min or so felt just like the OT for me tho.The new characters esp Kylo are great. BTW,I really didn't notice any swipes between scenes.Are they there or did I not pay attention.

15. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

My biggest problem with the film had to do with the Starkiller Base. I mean, really? We've seen this twice before. And it went down way too easily. A couple of X-wings and the Millennium Falcon? Sorry, no. Nor was it believable that Phasma would be so easily persuaded to lower the shields.

Plus, I was just confused about the relationship between Starkiller and the sun. They were talking about it drawing all the power from the sun. So what, they couldn't use it anymore after that? The planet just destroyed its own sun? Then what? I didn't get it.

bluesbro and DigMyGroove like this.
  16. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

IIRC the first scene change has a swipe.

17. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

We did a 9:30 showing this morning and I really liked it. It was a fun ride. Kudos to all of the actors and behind the scenes people in bringing it all together and making it feel like STAR WARS. It was nice to see the Kodak Film logo at the end, and the silence at the start, instead of a studio logo, was effective.

Harry

18. spewey

spewey Senior Member

I've seen a LOT of this movie before.

I guess that's why people like it.

It's the exact same movie as 1977.....right down to the cantina :D

And yeah....I guess the Starkiller is only good for one or two shots?

FVDnz and Mark Nelson like this.
  19. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

I wish they would have shown more of the Knights of Ren and fleshed out the whole Maz Kanata connection to the sabre. I'm hoping 8 will have many more flashbacks to fill in the story and let's hope Luke is actually in that one as a main character. Starkiller base makes no sense. Since that planet can't travel, once a sun is sucked in (assuming it has to be a binary system) , that's it. Writers weren't thinking on that one.

What do people think of the "lack" of score. The music didn't hit me once but I wasn't really paying attention to it.

20. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Since we (in this thread) all have seen the movie...he was the merchant dealing with Rey in Jakku

[​IMG]

FVDnz, LSP2003, cwsiggy and 3 others like this.
  21. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I think that's the point of its beam being so jagged. Ren made it on his own without direction, indicating that his lightsaber training was at best minimal.

John K.

22. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Yeah, the force was low in the security guys...I also believe they made some "easy" choices to cut back some time and avoid a 150 minutes film (more screenings a day, more money in)

23. Luke The Drifter

Snoke is bringing him back to "complete" his training. Something tells me the next time we see Kylo Ren in a saber duel, he will be far more proficient

24. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member Thread Starter

I thought the demise of the Starkiller base made more sense than either Death Star. At least it wasn't a single torpedo in an exhaust tube or somehow flying into it to land a single shot in the central reactor. It seemed to take actual effort to blow the thing up.

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Good point!! I didn't even think about that! Was there a score?

Wounded Land likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.