Star Wars Episode VII: The Spoilers Awaken

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DreadPikathulhu, Dec 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

I don't think so. Even when Finn pulls off the tentacle, it looks pretty digital.
    Then you must have the same issues I do with them not using real models and motion control for the dogfights.

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I wasn't crazy about Maz because she was so unoriginal. She was part Kasdan's reworking of Marion from "Raiders," part Yoda, and part Abrams nice old Jewish lady. Everyone I know disliked that character. They should have just used a real actor and skipped the crappy cgi which felt like it slipped out of the prequels. Hell, they should have used Karen Allen with googles, I'm sure she's just as little, old, and wrinkled these days!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    sunspot42 and Luke The Drifter like this.
  3. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Indeed. The OT dogfights look amazing (matte lines aside, which can now be fixed!). Although CGI has advanced enough that they look OK in Force Awakens.

JediJoker likes this.
  4. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I guess it would have been better had she been a physical character, I mean she was older so they could have made her move slower like Yoda when he aged.

I don't really care who created her and that she was multiple ideas from different people, I'm more concerned with how she appears in the film, how she relates to the story and interacts with the cast and in that regard I feel they did a great job.

JediJoker and Ringmaster_D like this.
  5. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

You have to watch it to believe it...I'm actually impressed, this can't be easy to sing.

Encuentro likes this.
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That beard is scarier than anything in the Prequels!

7. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

Finally. I just read through 76 pages and I can finally put my two cents. So I finally saw it a week ago. First impressions. I liked it. It was good overall and what I was expecting. I knew going in that this was not going to be like the prequels but more reminiscent of the OT in terms of having a retro feel and look with improved CGI. Unfortunately, i saw it in 3d. Now I normally wouldn't complain. I enjoy 3d but I had this pair of glasses that kept sliding down and were crooked, plus the left lens was blurry. So i'm fighting with these glasses the whole time which obviously took away from enjoying the movie. When I could focus, I found the 3d distracting a little in that there was a lot going on to take in and process. So i'm definitely going back to see this in 2d. And like many have already mentioned, it does have story elements that resemble the OT. But these didn't distract me.I obviously have questions that are bound to be answered in the upcoming movies. The acting was a lot more solid than the prequels and the characters seems to gel a bit better. Some of the characters who tried to deliver a funny line here and there didn't really do it for me. It felt forced and at times wasn't really needed. I think JJ Abrams did an over good job and I take my hat off for his efforts. It does feel more star warish than the prequels.

But one question I did have was did the starkiller weapon destroy Coruscant or was that a completely different planet altogether. If it was Coruscant would that mean that the new Republic government has been wiped out? Also, in terms of continuity, we know that the EU novels are no longer canon but does that also mean the novels that are sandwiched in between the movies like Shadows of the Empire are no longer part of the continuity? I read that the movies, including the animated series Clone Wars are all canon.

Song4U likes this.
  8. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

It was not Coruscant. I was confused about that on my first viewing as well, because it looked a lot like Coruscant, but it is actually a different planet that became the seat of the New Republic.

JediJoker likes this.
  9. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

None of the EU stuff released prior to (I think) April 2015 is considered canon anymore, aside from the (3D) animated Clone Wars series/movie. It's all classified as "legends" now. However, Disney is now building a more universal canon, meaning basically that every official Star Wars novel, comic, TV show, video game, etc. is canon. I'm not totally clear on how contradictions will be handled, as I'm sure they'll arise, but the old hierarchy was:

1) Movies
    2) Novelizations of the movies
    3) Radio adaptations of the OT (seriously)
    4) EU

So when a contradiction arose, whatever source was higher in the hierarchy was the "correct" canon.

JediJoker and Rubber65 like this.
  10. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

My niece was over last weekend and I knew she liked Star Wars so I asked if she saw it yet, she said no most of her friends were not into the movies. So she asked if I would go with her, I said sure,. It was my 3rd time. I still enjoyed it a lot. The first 2 times I paid $15.00 each time but last weekend it only cost $7.95, I said to myself what a bargin.

I swear that's it though. Lol

11. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

I'll also presume that the Ewok movies, although really stand alone movies, and also Star Wars Rebels and Star Wars: Clone Wars 2003 animated microseries are also canon. And would the Star Wars Rebels tie-in with the new Star Wars Rogue One anthology as these events happen prior to episode IV ANH.

12. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

Thanks for clarifying. Wonder though if Coruscant will actually be featured in the upcoming movies.

13. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

I saw The Force Awakens for the fourth time (and probably last until the blu-ray is released) at a matinee this past weekend on a large format screen with Dolby Atmos for $8. I'll bet there were at least 50-75 other patrons there as well. I was surprised since it occurred to me that I could possibly be sitting in the theater alone. This was my first time seeing it in 2D vs. IMAX 3D and I will say it looked more film-like as the colors popped a bit more and I noticed more grain. (Although I did miss that 1.66:1 IMAX sequence when they escape from Jakku on the Falcon—that is spectacular!) I don't know if I noticed anything different or better about Dolby Atmos. I've read some lukewarm reviews for the Atmos mix on The Force Awakens so perhaps I'll have to see another movie in Atmos at a different theater to get a handle on that one.

Anyway, even upon a fourth viewing, the movie still holds up. Sure, there a few problems here and there but overall I'm still having a blast and do not want it to end because they're hitting all the right notes and flavors. I'm so involved in the story and Han Solo, Chewbacca, and the new characters are all so great and interesting that the plot echoes from earlier episodes goes unnoticed. It's Star Wars!

Since I knew it would be my last time seeing it in the theater I stayed through all the credits just to hear John Williams's incredible "Finale" with that scrolling blue font against a starfield. I've really been enjoying the soundtrack. Rey and Kylo Ren's themes are great and dare I say already iconic. Williams has done it again.

https://youtu.be/65As1V0vQDM

I still think one of the best moments in The Force Awakens (and perhaps the entire saga) is at the end when Rey and Chewbacca are getting ready to take off on the Millennium Falcon on their way to find Luke. She gets into the pilot's seat—Han's seat—and for a moment is hesitant. She glances at Chewie and he gives her a quick nod of approval and she smiles. It's a little moment but is so heartwarming because after all the abandonment and yearning to belong that Rey has experienced, she is getting Chewie's approval and acceptance to be where she is.

Especially considering the tragedy Chewie just suffered as well.

Every time I've seen the movie it gets me right in the feels. I think Rey and Chewbacca will be a great team for the next two episodes.

sgtmono, Vidiot, Song4U and 2 others like this.
  14. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

This is the "spoiler" thread - you don't need to spoiler-tag your spoilers! :righton:

Song4U and JediJoker like this.
  15. JediJoker

I don't think so. They were pretty clear about the new canon being only the six existing episodes (not the Ewok films) and 3D animated The Clone Wars movie and TV show (not Droids, not Ewoks, and not the 2D animated Clone Wars shorts).
    Pretty sure you're of the minority opinion there. The only theme that really sticks with me is Rey's, and it's quite repetitive and not very melodic. I don't see the new music ever reaching the same iconic status of the OT, the PT, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter, Jaws, and so on.

16. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

Yeah, I know... there are still a few people where I work (in IT, no less) who haven't seen it yet and I still don't want to spoil anything for those who will eventually see it at home on blu-ray. And, yes, I know that this thread is "The Spoilers Awaken" but somehow that big one I don't want to elude to yet. Silly me!

I've sensed that people don't think this soundtrack is anything special. And I fail to understand it. Yes, it's not going to be as iconic as the original trilogy or any of those other soundtracks you listed (and you left out Close Encounters of the Third Kind). How could it be? But, I do think it's better than a lot of the prequel tracks. Not all, but some. I guess all the use of choral arrangements in the prequel just wasn't my bag. It's also very staccato which isn't up my alley either (e.g. "The Duel of the Fates"). I guess I prefer that The Force Awakens is more drawn out with more long notes (appoggiato?) like Kylo Ren's theme with its five-note flourish. Different strokes! It's all good.

17. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

18. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

JediJoker likes this.
  19. JediJoker

Well, younger.

20. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Wouldn't Chewbacca have been the same age in Episode III regardless of whether he appeared with Young Han Solo or defending his home world? ;)

In any case, I bet you will get your wish in the upcoming "Han Solo" origin film. Hard to imagine it won't include the first meeting of Han and Chewie.

21. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

sunspot42 likes this.
  22. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Sorry I meant with Han

23. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Yes. I don't know why they had to have Chewie in it. They could've come up with some whole other species to be the Jedi's allies. And it kinda goes back to how huge this galaxy is, yet everyone knows everyone else. That's why if Lando is Finn's father, I'm gonna be pissed. Like, really pissed.

sunspot42 and mpayan like this.
  24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I think the inclusion of the Wookiees in Episode III was one of the most enjoyable parts of the film. Chewbacca's inclusion was clearly fan service, but I certainly mind it at all.

superstar19 likes this.
  25. JediJoker

Not my meaning. I meant that he's not young in Episode III, merely younger than in the OT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.