Star Wars: Episode VII

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bowie Fett, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeah! Llewelyn Davis made it in. Hope he brings his guitar.

2. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Awesome that Peter Mayhew's on board, but kinda funny to seem him sitting at the table read studying the script. His "voice" is 100% post-production growls and such.

I wonder if Kenny Baker is hunkered down in that R2 suit behind Harrison...

3. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Let's hope they don't go the Ghost of the Emperor route. Didn't he posses several clones, and even Leia at one point in the books?

Edit: He possess Jeng Droga, then a clone, then Anakin Solo, and I'm pretty sure almost gets Leia in one of the novels too.

4. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Mayhew reads actual lines during shooting (the english translation of what Chewbacca is saying) so the other actors can act off of him.

Johnny66 likes this.
  5. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

That makes perfect sense, thanks.

Johnny66 likes this.
  6. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

If you want to hear an example of it, watch the Empire of Dreams documentary about the original trilogy.

7. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Yes, it's actually kind of funny to watch the Empire of Dreams documentary and to hear Mayhew speaking the lines from the Chewbacca costume in scenes I'm so familiar with.

8. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I wonder if they'll bring Hayden Christiansen back as the ghost of Anakin Skywalker. I hope not, because he's a terrible actor.

Or how about a ghost Yoda?

PROG U.K. likes this.
  9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I'm guessing that J.J. and co. want to separate themselves as much as possible from that trilogy.

supermd and Jvalvano like this.
  10. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Maybe they can look up Sebastian Shaw's son if they need an Anakin. ;)

11. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Didn't Chewbacca die in the novels? Guess they've ignored that minor point....

12. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Is it confirmed that they're even basing the new trilogy on the books?

13. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They just recently announced, actually, that they are ignoring all post-Return of the Jedi Star Wars content from novels, videogames, etc.

14. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

New Star Wars films will not recognise the Expanded Universe as official canon, says Lucasfilm

Sarah Deen

Sunday 27 Apr 2014 2:16 pm

The upcoming Star Wars film/s will not recognise the Expanded Universe as canon, Lucasfilm has revealed.

The Expanded Universe includes a plethora of comics, novels and videogames based on the original Star Wars movies.

In a statement published to Starwars.com, Lucasfilm said creator George Lucas has ‘always made it clear that he was not beholden to the EU.’

It went on: ‘He set the films he created as canon. This includes the six Star Wars episodes, and the many hours of content he developed and produced in Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

‘These stories are the immovable objects of Star Wars history, the characters and events to which all other tales must align.’

This means that Episode 7, and any other future spin-offs or projects, will be grounded solely in the six films that have already been created and the Clone Wars TV show.

While this might dismay some Star Wars fans, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy was positive about the decision and said that the move will ‘allow fans to explore this galaxy in deeper ways than ever before.’

Filming on Star Wars 7 is finally underway with casting yet to be officially announced.

The film, directed by JJ Abrams, is scheduled for release on December 18, 2015
    http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/27/new-s...rse-as-official-canon-says-lucasfilm-4710407/

15. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Good.

Most of the Star Wars novels and such are garbage, so why be tied down by them? Better to have complete creative freedom.

Not sure why fans would be surprised. They did basically the same thing with the prequel trilogy. Boba Fett had a completely different backstory before the prequels came out and ignored it.

16. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

17. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

"I could crush your head like a nut...but I won't--because I need you." :laugh: Dear Lord that's still in my head :yikes:

18. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

And the cat.

blind_melon1 and Mazzy like this.
  19. The cat can probably direct better than George Lucas. Not sure about JJ though

blind_melon1 likes this.
  20. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

By the time the movie is released Harrison Ford will be 73 :eek:

21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Flashback:

Found this old Mike Douglas clip of Ford, Hammel and Carrie around the time A New Hope was taking off. So young. Harrison Ford at the beginning I think nails exactly what made A New Hope special.

He talks about how the movie is almost like an old Bob Hope Bing Crosby road movie in a sense. That it has humor and a devil may care feel to it. That it never takes itself too serious.

If these new movies want to succeed they had better have characters/actors that actually seem real, interact in a humorous way with a vibe that has chemistry. If not, they can have the best script and plot ever and it will suck.

If they can pull that off, that will be some trick. Being a Star Wars geek I am hoping they nail this and revive the Star Wars franchise. Im pulling for them.

supermd, Agent57, Jvalvano and 2 others like this.
  22. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I think they need to watch The Empire Strikes Back 100 times.

Jvalvano likes this.
  23. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

I'm still trying to figure out why any true fan of Star Wars would think or want the new movies to be based on the books, or that plot points from the books would be incorporated into new films.

24. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I would rather the movies be based on Lucas's original intent. As much as he denies it he had plans for the 9 movies back in the beginning. So you know he had some kind of story treatment for them.

25. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

Agreed. Some of the EU fiction is good, but its not all coordinated or makes sense from a timeline perspective anyway... plus there's plenty of junk (most of it). No doubt they'd want to start fresh and this was basically stated in so many words when Disney purchased Lucas' original story treatments in the deal. To think Disney would want to base movies on ten or twenty year old novels and plot points written by the likes of Kevin J. Anderson is laughable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.