Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

On a side note I saw a tube video posted 8 months ago where they asked Hayden Christianson (sp?) would he say yes if asked to star in another ep of Star Wars. He said absolutely he would in a heartbeat. How would he co star in another SW movie?

2. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

It’s a forum... it’s a thread. The purpose is to exchange opinions, talk about things we do and don’t like about subjects we’re passionate about. Sorry if I confused you as to why I would contribute.

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Force Ghost Vader! Glow in the dark action figure!

David Campbell likes this.
  4. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Mark Hamilton? Mark Hamill? Ring any bells?

Matt Starr and Sammy Banderas like this.
  5. David Campbell

I just get incredulous whenever someone starts talking about a movie they don't like " killing their childhood".

sunspot42 likes this.
  6. Funky54

Yep, tired long work day. Mind glitch, hick-up, brain fart... I’m not perfect. Does that make my opinion less valuable?

7. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

You forgot and with Disney logos on the packaging. Yup it's Star Wars they'll buy it... Lol

8. Funky54

I have very strong positive memories of seeing Star Wars for the first time. I remember what I had on, who was with me, how long I waited in line outside in the snow. I remember staring at the posters for weeks months wondering what it all would mean. I remember how I felt and how Entertainment, movies and everything I knew changed. I remember how the concepts, imagination and creativity of New Hope effected me. Nothing had ever been like that ever before.

I remember the toys, the Jedi quiz book. The pride in my true nerd level in knowing all the answers. The playing cards. I remember getting my first 11” character. With no money my mom managed to get me a x-wing. I remember the package, the sound when we got batteries for it. I remember putting the stickers on the wings. I remember the childhood friendships that were based on that movie and how I’m still friends with some of them to this day.

It was the largest cultural effect on my life and nothing you will say will change that. My opinion matters as much as yours.

Song4U likes this.
  9. David Campbell

Nope. You are welcome to dislike what you want and state it. No one is stopping you, obviously.

However it's hard to take someone seriously when they claim a movie "ruined my childhood".

10. David Campbell

The thing is... I'm still wondering how a movie put out now negates all of those memories and the enjoyment you had then.

Can you...I don't know, realize this movie and this trilogy probably wasnt made for you and still cherish those older movies like you always did? Does the idea there are other Star Wars movies being made that you don't like actually affect what you enjoyed about those older movies?

These are honest questions. I find it hard to wrap my head around the idea that because this movie didn't meet your personal expectations and head Canon it negates or ruins the other movies.

And sorry if I come off snarky. I'm trying not to. I'm trying to get my head around that " all or nothing" mindset.

11. Funky54

Well for one, it dishonors those emotions and appreciation for the characters. I never let go of them... they lived on. This wasn’t the closure I wanted.

Second, I waited a long long time for this, and it’s very disappointing.

The movie turned my main characters, my hero’s into cliffnotes. Into un-important cameo’s.

They should have given the original cast one last great adventure, one last day in the sun as hero’s. Rey, fin.. all could have been supporting rolls as their characters were developed and our appreciation established. Then I would have been ready to go forward.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Song4U likes this.
  12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I happen to agree with everything you said.

coffeetime likes this.
  13. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

weird I have no interest in seeing this. I used to kind of like star wars. well, the one from the 70's

14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The OT characters are supporting characters in this series just as Obi-Wan, a major character in episodes 1-3, was a supporting character in "Star Wars." Each trilogy has its own group of leads. I know the original characters are everyone's favourites, but it makes sense structurally.

Plus, I wouldn't call their roles "unimportant cameos." Luke and Han got quite a lot of screen time in their respective episodes and they each played pivotal roles in the last act. Leia didn't have as much but then Carrie didn't live to make episode IX, which would have featured her more.

I do wish they had found a way for the three of them to have appeared in a scene together.

vegafleet and David Campbell like this.
  15. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

It's hyperbole, it has to be. No one's childhood has literally been ruined by The Last Jedi.

16. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I think they waited far too long for another Star Wars to appear like TFA. 20 yrs too late for the main characters. I have no problem with Luke being killed off but I believe it was done far too early ep 9 but not ep 8.

17. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Rey had already shown an uncanny ability to imitate any Force power used on her in TFA. Not hard to believe she picked up another trick or two from Snoke. In fact we know she did - just as Snoke was able to hurl her around the room, she went from being able to lift pebbles to being able to lift boulders after her encounter with Snoke.

Thanks, Snoke!

Whoever uses Force Lightning on her is screwed.

18. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Her parents probably just flew to another part of Jakku.

Plan9 likes this.
  19. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yes, obviously. I'm stunned there are still people incapable of figuring that out on their own.

marblesmike and BeatleJWOL like this.
  20. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Especially given that none of them were exactly in peak physical condition by the time TFA finally rolled around. Harrison Ford looks like a hundred miles of bad road, Hamill is bloated and Fisher didn't even sound like herself anymore. Of the three, really only Ford could continue doing the sorta things his character was known for - namely flying a ship, blasting things and making snarky comments - and he's the one who absolutely wanted out.

21. David Campbell

Meh, Hamill didn't look too bad in this movie, but generally you are right. I still enjoyed seeing them all, but never was I under the delusion they were supposed the main characters of this trilogy. I'm still kinda surprised people still went into TLJ thinking Disney promised them Jedi god Luke saving the day and being an over powered badass and superhero like he was in Return of the Jedi. That promise was never made. It was an unrealistic expectation built on head Canon. It's not Disney's responsibility to Cater to head Canon and fan service.

turnersmemo, Encuentro and sunspot42 like this.
  22. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

That would be interesting. Only those who use the Dark Side can use force lightning.
    when 66 years old you reach...look as good you will not. (and 75 for Ford!)

Matthew Tate, enro99 and sunspot42 like this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's difficult to debate the quality of the movie itself, because it's such a subjective area. I thought (and still think) the movie has flaws, but it's not terrible. I thought Rogue One was just kind of boring, to the point where I have no interest in seeing it again; Last Jedi I'd be willing to watch a second time. But I wouldn't watch either of them 50 or 60 times, as I did with the original Star Wars or Empire.

Speaking as a guy who has to try to make actors look good on screen, I think Mark Hamill looked terrible in the movie, but I think that's pretty much the way he looks, because of the years of scar tissue forming after his early-1977 car accident. What surprised me is that they made no attempt to make him look better. There was a lot of very careful work going on for Carrie Fisher, and I thought she generally looked like a million bucks in the film.

enro99 likes this.
  24. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Mileage. I thought he looked like heck. That was probably intentional, and I'm sure they could have cleaned him up to look better, but he ain't exactly in Jedi fighting condition.

Yeah, I thought she actually looked better here than in TFA. But she seemed very frail too, which in fact she was. I wonder if the director picked up on that, hence having her spend half the film unconscious.

25. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Was that ever actually established in a film? I've only seen bits and pieces of Sith. I guess I should sit down and watch it, someday.

Maybe Rey is the one who fulfills the prophecy and brings balance to The Force...by using both sides.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.