Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

2. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

"Thanks for ruining my Holy Week, Johnson."

dprokopy likes this.
  3. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

lambfan68 likes this.
  4. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

5. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Encuentro likes this.
  6. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

7. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

"Wait, what's this week's Star Wars movie about again?"

- Dennis Miller - ;)

8. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

So...I just wanted to leave this....

A hilarious take down of not only the movie's flaws, but of the weird and crazy expectations of the fan community...Which brings me to this...

The Last Jedi HISHE - Reaction

Apparently the guy in this video and the commenters on his page when you scroll down lack self awareness that this video is pretty much showing how stupid all of their" Rey is a Kenobi! Snoke is Plageous! Akbar should have died to continue the meme! Luke should be destroying ****!" Bellyaching is...And they are going " Yes! This is the movie I wanted!" . I mean, seriously? You do realize you are being parodied and you are confirming said parody, right?

When they then swear up and down that " I don't hate the Last Jedi because it didn't meet my own head canon, I hate it because Rian Johnson is an evil SJW hired by Kathleen Kennedy and Diznee to murder my Star Wars!"...Well...This video and the reaction to it shows most of that is a lie. The vocal complainers wanted fan service for the sake of it, didn't get it, and are now reacting like children who had their favorite toy taken away.

It's all so sad and hilarious to watch.

9. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

HAhaha, both videos are fun, but the second one is really hilarious :)

Still, the fact that among TLJ critics and haters there are many mentally impaired persons doesn’t make the movie any better …one can find plenty of very intelligent and on spot critical TLJ analyses in YouTube.

jeroemba and David Campbell like this.
  10. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

She moves through her own will. She's flying. At least she was with it enough to close the airlock or something so everyone else didn't get sucked into space when they rescued her. Or when she rescued herself I guess, since it's C21.

11. David Campbell

Agreed, but the sad fact is you have to really look for the truly intelligent discourse and critical analysis both positive or negative. It's either " omg! The last Jedi is complete garbage with no good points and Ruin Johnson and Diznee murdered my childhood and destroyed Star Wars for everyone and if you disagree or say anything good about the movie you are a shill on Diznee's payroll!" or " The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars movie ever made and if you disagree you are only a racist woman hater Neckbeard!" Of course it's neither, but those two sides overshadow everything, although the first camp is the loudest of course.

I enjoyed the movie and what happens and agree with most of the ideas presented and where the characters ended up. My issue is how it was presented, Which sometimes on spot and sometimes isn't. The execution is off in spots and there's no doubt there. ( Looking at you Leia Poppins. )

Also more time should have been spent with Luke and Rey and a little less with Rose and Finn's plot. The core of the movie, Which is Rey, Luke and Kylo is solid and works well and I think that arc is beautiful. The rest....Meh.

And I still can't decide if Luke and his love for green milk and his extraction of said milk is either the greatest moment in Star Wars history or the most cringy. It's probably both.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    sunspot42 likes this.
  12. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

It's neither. It's just a moment.

I really, really do not understand the amount of weird attention this scene has gotten on the internet. If the movie didn't show him doing that or spearfishing, you just know the "bitchalots" (as I call them) would've complained about how he stayed alive on the island for all those years.

ohnothimagen, Encuentro and sunspot42 like this.
  13. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

It's not exactly weard attention to a scene, it's more like attention to a weird scene;)

14. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Fair point, but the attention paid to this scene on other web forums borders on obsessive. And that's pretty weird, too.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    ohnothimagen likes this.
  15. David Campbell

Oh I get the why of it and the point of it, but you have to admit with the way it was staged and acted, particularly by Mark Hamill, is wonderfully over the top oddball.

But I agree, the bitchalots would have been upset if we didn't see him hunt and fish and would have called the exclusion of such a scene as a " plot hole" because according to them, you have to explain every single thing in detail or it's " bad writing".

Encuentro and sunspot42 like this.
  16. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Hey! "Bitchalots" is trademarked by me! I've been using it privately since the Prequel era, but go ahead and use it if you like. I cannot think of a better term to describe the zealots....

:)

17. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I personally don't have problems with Luke milking the creature or Leia in space (although every time I watched the movie, the audience laughed out loud on these scenes, and kept silent during the scenes that were supposed to be funny, which leads me to the conclusion that Rian Johnson wasn't good in making comedy, but was really good doing unintentional comedy;) I also don't have any problems with my childhood etc. My problem with TLJ is that so many things doesn't make any sense and there's not a good pot and structure. I recently started to watch Star Wars Rebel series, and they were very enjoyable (never watched any Star Wars animation before and never read any books), and there are also many things that doesn't make sense, but at least the plot is there, for each episode, there's a story, etc. Also, one is not so critical to TV cartoon series compared to the highest budget theatrical movie of the year. What I realized is that if one have watched all these Clone Wars and Rebels series and read all the books, he could easily accept TLJ as an OK or good movie, but for someone who only saw the main theatrical episodes the movie is a nonsense, IMO.

David Campbell likes this.
  18. bluenote

bluenote Forum Resident

I took the scene with Luke and the milk is that he's getting a bit eccentric most likely by being alone all those year. That was my take anyway.

19. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Exactly. Like some "strange old hermit" who "lives beyond the Dune Sea." I took it and the spearfishing scene as Luke living off the land, quietly, humbly. No technology, no use of the Force. Completely off the grid. As one would if they didn't wish to be found.

20. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

I watched Clone Wars and really looking forward to Rebels coming back, and I'm with you on TLJ. Took my 9 yr old nephew to see it. Had to see the 3D version (timing, school night, etc) and a second viewing didn't help. Gave me more time to ponder some of it. Not only flying in space but them opening the airlock! My 9 yr old nephew like it so that's the main thing. Kids with no critical faculties love it. Now he wants me to get him the prequels on dvd for his birthday which I will. I'm sure he'll love them too. I thought they were terrible. So I'll buy them and try not to make eye contact with the sales assistant!

David Campbell and delmonaco like this.
  21. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I took the defiant way he drank it as him telling her, “You think I’m a great hero? Look at me, I drink walrus milk.”

I can’t believe a Star Wars movie requires this much explication.

22. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Bingo!

There are a lot of morons, and they complain a great deal.

Jim B. likes this.
  23. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Exactly. Like, "You wanna be a Jedi? This is what being a Jedi is all about."

David Campbell likes this.
  24. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

She's no more flying than pulling yourself through water with a rope is swimming. She's floating because she's in a zero gravity environment if Leia pulled herself along the ground with the force you wouldn't call it flying.
    Not to mention it's a silly thing to complain about, were you watching Gravity or Apollo 13 thinking, "Oh that's stupid they're flying" every time they pushed themselves through space?

David Campbell, Jim B. and Encuentro like this.
  25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

And there many people who think a lactating alien walrus in a SW's move or in any movie is moronic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.