Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Thank you for sharing.

:laugh:

2. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

How's about they made a bad movie and are criticized? I don't get it, why do you guys feel this overpowering need to defend yr opinions about a movie that's been panned by literally thousands of people? Don't chat room tit for tats bore you?, they sure do me! I'm out.

mpayan likes this.
  3. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I think that one of the problems, not only with TLJ, but also with TFA, is that many things related to “the force” are just absurd for someone like me, who just saw the 6 previous theatrical episodes, (and almost forgot the prequels) and avoided all books, animations series all this “expanded universe” thing.

In the OT the force was something very special and rare, hard to master, and even the most experienced force masters (Kenobi, Vader, Yoda, and later - Luke) had some limits. The force powers were not a universal remedy and easy solution for any problematic situation. It took quite some time, effort and concentration for the greatest Yoda to move Luke’s space ship out of the water, and it was one of the climatic scenes in the movie; Kenobi couldn’t just do everything from distance and to throw in pieces the enemies with just one hand gesture, nor was he able to cut any door in two with his light saber, or to easily extract every information that’s in other person’s mind; nor Vader has such abilities. So they needed some clever plans, they had to find a way to unlock doors; they couldn’t reach any distant spot by insanely giant flight like jumps, or to keep a space ship from taking off by using the force.

Now I watched “Star Wars Rebels” series, and all these things are so easy and common – some paduan boy and some second grade Jedi are doing things unimaginable for the OT Vader, Yoda, Kenobi or Luke. I actually enjoy these series very much, they are very well made and entertaining, but they are presenting the force power as something so easy and without limits (the Jedi even cut the legs of the Imperial AT walkers with its light saber in a jump flight, and so easily and effortlessly, as if they are made of spaghetti. They can also cut any door in any shape or form they want, without effort and within seconds)

This actually started in the prequels, when Qui-Gon Jinn used his light saber to make a hole in the door. I was shocked by this scene, but still, this took him much effort and time (I can’t even remember if it was successful at the end). But save for this scene, there wasn’t such ease using the force and such a light saber power. (Or there was, to some extent, during the Yoda fight in the “…clones”, but still, Yoda is crème de la crème of all force masters)

So, if one is already “brain washed” by all these things that happens in the “Rebels” (and perhaps in the “Clone Wars” and all the books), he could easily accept anyone using the force in any possible way and with such ease as something completely normal, but for anyone who mainly knows and rely on what was set in the OT, all these things are just out of the concept and doesn’t make sense.

jeroemba and ElevatorSkyMovie like this.
  4. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

This is a discussion forum. You participated.

How about they they made a great movie that has been praised by thousands of people and holds a 91% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and an A on CinemaScore? Since you’re out, I guess I get the last word and win this argument by default. Woo-hoo!

5. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Hard to master? Luke went from being a nobody on a backwater of a planet to blowing up the Death Star in a matter of hours, after exactly one lesson from a Jedi Master.

:laugh:

If only the Empire's entire contingent of Stormtroopers could wield a blaster as well...

6. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

He has pilot skills and training, because he was preparing himself to attend the flight academy. Also, for his successful shoot on the dead star he was guided by Obi wan spirit. And last but not least, he was Skywalker, and this bloodline was a major thing in the OT and in the prequels (and even in the Rebels animation). No one is more powerful than Skywalker, except maybe Yoda - this is universally accepted in all Star Wars movies (before Rey appearance)

ianuaditis and wavethatflag like this.
  7. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

The "bloodline" started out of nowhere with Anakin...

wavethatflag likes this.
  8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Does this even have anything to do with the force?

9. Squealy

How are they supposed to do anything creative with these movies if they can’t put any idea in them that didn’t appear in an earlier installment? Like the guy who wrote those 1980 tweets, I’m wondering, did fans watch Empire Strikes Back going “why didn’t the Empire have those walkers in the last movie?” or “why didn’t Ben Kenobi mention Yoda before?”

10. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Well, I'm not sure. Wasn't the light saber something that only a force master can create, and not a mass produced factory weapon? If so, it has to be related to the force.

11. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

There would be a problem if Kenobi mentioned Yoda frequently in the original movie, and then no any Yoda appeared in the sequels. The opposite is not problematic at all. And as far as I remember, there wasn't a land battle between the Empire and anyone in the original Star Wars, so why there have to be any walkers?

12. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

All the Empire had to do was blow the moon up instead of orbiting it. What a waste of time that was. You can pick these movies to death.

13. Squealy

Light sabers are made of lasers that cut through things. So it doesn’t strike me as at all improbable or inappropriate that someone should use one to cut through a door. I wouldn’t put this in the category of “previously unseen force powers.”

14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

They needed the ticking clock!

15. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Good point. It's some kind of force field I guess but in reality it makes no sense logically (how can ships fly through it but it keeps out zero gravity), which is fine as SW has never made any sense logically. As people have said, it's fantasy and not meant to be hard sci-fi.

David Campbell likes this.
  16. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

No. Tradition is that a Jedi makes his own lightsabre with a Khyber crystal, but anyone can use it or in theory make one if you know how. Han uses it in Empire to cut open the dead Tauntaun. So once it is made anyone can use them, like General Girevous or Asajj Ventress.

Why more people don't have them as weapons in general is a question to be answered, I guess most people prefer blasters, and Khyber crystals were very hard to obtain.

17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Agree.

I always wonder why they let Luke fly an x-wing at the end of the first film. He's a farmboy with very limited flying skills, he's never flown an x-wing or been in a space battle. No way would they waste an x-wing on him. And even if they did and felt sorry for him then when his group entered the trench it would be him protecting the experienced pilot not the other way around.

It's nonsense that you block out as it is just a fantasy film.

If the Last Jedi has plot holes it is nothing compared to the original trilogy.

18. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

This is logical, and this is how I was thinking back in the days, during the innocent times of the OT...but watch "Rebels", and you'll see that it's not that simple...:)

19. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

The explanation start at 6:15.

20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

They seem to have added a mystical element to using a Lightsabre that didn't exist before. How could Han use it, or even Finn in TFA. In those examples it is just a bog standard weapon. But in that video it seems it's more like the wands used in Harry Potter.

21. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Confusing, eh?;) That's what I don't like about the general development of the franchise (and TLJ is only the tip of the iceberg). From a simple entertaining tale about good and evil, incorporating some very basic spiritual ideas that every kid can understand, SW became an over-complicated and often nonsensical mess, full of contradictions and so many useless characters and sets, obviously created with the sole purpose of selling more toys, games and LEGO sets.

22. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Well, see, it's not a problem really. The problem is people taking it far too seriously and then over-analysing it to death and picking apart a great film like TLJ for no reason. As long as you just accept it's a kids fantasy film and it doesn't all have to make sense.

Take Lord of the Rings. Instead of three films and those poor Hobbits walking for an eternity why didn't Gandalf just fly the ring to Mordor on a giant Eagle in the first place and be done with it?

turnersmemo and David Campbell like this.
  23. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

George Lucas presented a lengthy document to Steven Spielberg, convincing him it was possible to survive a nuclear blast by hiding in a refrigerator. Regardless, that stupid movie decision did not play well with fans. We simply did not like it.

Likewise, it really doesn't matter if Leah "could" pull herself through space like Mary Poppins. A great swath of fans simply thought it was stupid and did not like it. All the explanations about it being "possible" are not going to sway those fans.

24. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

It's definitely not among the biggest world problems.

Perhaps you are onto something here. I never liked fantasy movies, even when I was a kid, and the original SW wasn't exactly a fantasy movie. It was set in space (which was great, because who doesn't love space movies..:), and there was some sort of mythical spiritual philosophy, that has an universal appeal and was very easy to understand, but basically it was a dusty western, and there was this great feel of realism. Now they gone to the classic fantasy movie formula, and maybe this is something that many original fans don't like, me including. But this is how the franchise went in general, and one can create a good movie in this genre, which to me is not the case with TLJ - its just a bad film on so many levels, even if regarded as just another fantasy kids movie. The only good thing about it is that is stunning visually and sound wise, brilliant form without content.

25. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

How in the world did I spell Princess Leia's name wrong? Ugh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.