STAR WARS: "Rise of Skywalker" **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Well, perhaps I should say that in comparison to what Ortega did. Technically,yes "legendary" does change from the theatrical version by editing stuff here and there and adding a few deleted scenes,so its not Johnson's full vision, but it respects it far more than Ortega's which was made to appease his own sensibilities and his own ego. At least Legendary keeps all the story arcs and intent intact and consistent with the theatrical version. Just more focused.

2. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Right, I got it now, thanks for clarifying for me. From your comments I was getting the idea maybe Johnson had seen the fan edits and commented on them. That would be fun.

David Campbell likes this.
  3. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

The fake-out death of Chewie ("he was on another ship!") reminded me of Marion's fake-out death in Raiders of the Lost Ark ("they switched baskets!"), but way more obvious. In fact, as soon as the ship exploded in TROS, the first thing I thought of was Raiders, and I said to myself "Well, Chewie is definitely still alive." :p

trumpet sounds, Vidiot and BGLeduc like this.
  4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

That's funny, that whole section was just screaming Indiana Jones. I love it even more now.

Rocker likes this.
  5. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

The Rise of Skywalker did remind me of Raiders of the Lost Ark or Indiana Jones films in general at certain points!

:cool:

6. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I saw this again last night.

It really is pretty bad. Worse than I first thought.

7. FredHubbard

FredHubbard Forum Resident

ha ha ... I saw it for a second time the other week and liked it more, Endorian horse people notwithstanding.

8. NettleBed

I thought TLJ was quite terrible at telling and advancing the story. Luke was the most important character of the original trilogy. I have no problem with what they did with the character, but - given that there was no lead-up - it was not finessed very well at all, and therefore the incredibly drastic turn of events felt entirely unearned and rather cheap. A better device might have been to devote 15-20 minutes of the film to interspersed flashbacks of a younger Luke doing the things that got him to the place he eventually was at (not some unholy montage, but actual scenes with a story attached). This content could have taken the place of every scene of Rose and Finn - also thoroughly awfully-executed dreck.

Richard--W likes this.
  9. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

The "falling in the sand trap" scene was Indy-esque, although it's probably meant to be an homage to the garbage chute scene in A New Hope.

The whole "using the medallion to look at the wreckage and see the hidden locale" was definitely Indy.

10. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

The difference being that the scene in Raiders actually made sense. :p

11. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

“Puppet” came to my mind, too. It also reminded me of Obi Wan Kenobi’s line about Vader, “He’s more machine than man now.”

I saw this tonight with my daughter. She wondered where the boy was whom we saw with the broom at the end of Episode VIII.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I liked the film overall, but my god, the hairy alien horses were off-the-charts absurd.

J.J. Abrams has said there was never supposed to be a payoff for that, merely letting the audience know "hey, sometimes average people get Jedi powers for no apparent reason."

I don't believe the younger Mark Hamill is available for any films.

13. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I'm glad they didn't do any kind of follow-up with broom boy... the "dumb-ass kid" quotient was already met during Phantom Menace, thank you very much. :p

The Slug Man likes this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

You know, it might have been an interesting idea if he was just a small side-character. That shot actually got a gasp in the audience I was with.

marmalade166 likes this.
  15. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I saw this last night and its one main virtue is that it keeps moving and rarely stops to take a breath, so you don’t have time to think about anything. Even watching it, there seemed to be a LOT of plot and a LOT of silliness, though. I’m guilty of being overly critical about these films — and yes, I think this is a long way from the elegance and control of Empire — but I was mostly entertained. It only lost me in the last 15-20 minutes, where it just collapses into a series of cliches. Not great storytelling by any means, but a fun ride for the most part.

David Campbell and FredHubbard like this.
  16. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I finally saw it last week. I can sum it up in one word...anticlimactic.

17. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Watched "Attack of the Clones" with my son today and realized that the major failing of these Disney sequels (beyond having no story to tell) is a real dearth of memorable action scenes. Other than a few lightsaber fights I'd say all the "setpieces" of this new trilogy are total blanks.

Lucas certainly whiffed on a lot of key elements of the prequels, but his expertise at building and pacing action beats was still masterful. Even something minor like the droid factory/conveyor belt stuff from "Clones" just blows away anything JJ or Rian can muster.

TrekkiELO likes this.
  18. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

I actually thought that was one of its main problems - it jall just felt a bit....frantic.

FredHubbard likes this.
  19. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Agreed. I overall really liked the film the best of the sequel trilogy, but I feel like there were some sloppy edits, as if they kept making last minute changes until the end (which I know often happens) and that made the pacing feel rushed at times.

20. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I can see that, but I wasn't trying to follow the plot and just went in with the idea of enjoying it for its surface pleasures. I thought of it as something of a rollercoaster ride.

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  21. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Latest of a series of films displaying H/wood's latest groovy 'trend'; "wrap-it-up-itis!". If only they could do it better! Making a film longer and more expensive doesn't automatically make it better!

22. Thesmellofvinyl

Oh, I hadn’t read that. I like that idea.

23. Thesmellofvinyl

I wondered if the writers acknowledged that with C-3PO’s post-memory-wipe line, “is every day like this for you people?” To think of what the odds must be of not just repeatedly coming THIS close to disaster, but to also escape, time and time again. But that’s what makes the story great; they keep the faith and beat the odds.

24. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

It wasn't as bad as TLJ. Rogue One is still Disney's best Star Wars film.

Purple, TrekkiELO and PTgraphics like this.
  25. NettleBed

Uh, you've seen what they did with Princess Leia and Grand Moff Tarken in the previous SW films, right? "Younger-looking Luke" is most certainly available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.