STAR WARS: "Rise of Skywalker" **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I still need to see it again; however as of right now, I think I would rank them
    Empire
    A New Hope
    Return Of The Jedi (I still tear up when Vader sacrifices himself for Luke, I just mute it when he yells 'NO!' now ;))
    Rogue One
    Revenge Of The Sith
    TFA
    The Rise Of Skywalker
    The Last Jedi
    Phantom
    Clones

2. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

My ranking of all 11 films as of right now....

1) EMPIRE
    2 )A NEW HOPE

3) THE RISE OF SKYWALKER
    4) REVENGE OF THE SITH
    5) THE FORCE AWAKENS
    6) ROGUE ONE
    7) RETURN OF THE JEDI
    8) THE LAST JEDI
    9) SOLO

10) THE PHANTOM MENACE
    11) ATTACK OF THE CLONES

3. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

A small, but great Star Wars moment from Episode IX:

After the gang fall through the quicksand, they need something to help them see in the cave underground. Poe turns on his flashlight. Rey turns on her lightsaber (in a wonderfully mirrored composition on the screen). Poe's reaction was classic.

That had the spirit of the original trilogy all over it.

4. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

My rank:

1) EMPIRE
    2 )A NEW HOPE
    3) RETURN OF THE JEDI
    4) THE RISE OF SKYWALKER
    5) THE FORCE AWAKENS
    6) SOLO
    7) THE LAST JEDI
    8) ROGUE ONE
    9) REVENGE OF THE SITH
    10) ATTACK OF THE CLONES
    11) THE PHANTOM MENACE

BeatleStair likes this.
  5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I saw this last night. I have now seen all nine of the Star Wars movies. I know the characters, their origins (for the most part), and the storyline. That said, I was almost completely lost the entire time watching this. What the hell was the plot? The constant cross cuts, the introduction of more spare characters and reduction of others. I left thinking, “what a mess!” It really was. I thought it was awful.

Also, I haven’t been to a theater movie in some time so maybe I’m just ignorant but TEN trailers plus two commercials before this beat down of a movie (2hrs and 22 min) starts?? Seriously? No thank you.

6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Yeah, I just saw it and was thinking same thing. 5 trailers, car commercial, 5 mote trailers, Coke commercial, Regal commercial... half an hour of garbage!

As for the film, I liked it. So much better than Last Jedi. Abrams should have made all 3.

But can an XWing that's been sitting in water for over a decade really fire right back up???

tommy-thewho, bru87tr and GodShifter like this.
  7. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

That’s the reality of the megaplexs now. I went to go see A Hidden Life by Terrance Malick at AMC on Friday, which is a 3 hour arthouse film and got 25+ mins of previews most of which had no demographic overlap with the film. Big blockbusters like Star Wars get a few more mins of trailers and in my case at Regal, a few ads intercut into the trailer “reel”. It’s really pretty disrespectful to the filmmakers IMO.

GodShifter likes this.
  8. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Since you guys mention it, that happened to me as well. Roughly half an hour of trailers and commercials before the movie started. That sucked.

I'll tell you something about my movie experience that didn't suck, though - the people attending. I'm generally put off going to the cinema these days because people talk too loud, screw around on their mobiles, etc. But the people watching the movie last Thursday? I was very pleasantly surprised - I didn't see a single glowing screen and there was silence all through the movie! Sure, people laughed at the jokes and gasped in some scenes and such, but it was great how quiet everyone was, and there were many youngsters in that room. I guess people were really hungry for this movie, nobody wanted to miss a second. Whatever the reason, people behaved and I was a happy camper.

9. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

It's disrespectful to the moviegoers, if you ask me. Don't tell me it's a 7pm session when you're really gonna play the movie at half past. A few trailers/ads before the movie has always been fine, but half an hour is taking the piss. And personally, I don't appreciate paying to be subjected to advert-watching. Be honest upfront and tell me when the actual movie starts so I can use my time as I see fit.

GodShifter likes this.
  10. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Why not, if a Sith bounty hunter's ship that's been sitting in the desert for at least as long does the same.

BeatleJWOL and coffeetime like this.
  11. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Sure it can. All it needs is a Force-jump.

The Slug Man likes this.
  12. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

That was so cool when Rey was trying to stop the transport ship with the Force, then Kylo Ren tries to get it moving again, and she suddenly shoots Force Lightning out of her hand--something only the Sith can do. I think that might have gone over the audience's head.

I've been trying to think of who Palpatine resembled this time around, with those creepy milky eyes (was he supposed to be blind? If I was a kid I'd probably be having nightmares about him at this time). Then it dawned on me: he reminded me of George C. Scott in Firestarter, mixed with a dash of Master Po from Kung Fu.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

At least it was dry. Rey probably walking around with swamp ass after sitting in that thing.

14. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Agreed, another domino effect is that people know this and show up late during the main feature to avoid the trailers causing a disruption for everyone else. The best advice is to stick to indie theaters, but most are boxed out of showing this film due to Disney’s antics.

GodShifter likes this.
  15. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Good point. I thought about that at the time. It may have been to throw off those in the know in the audience to think that she could go Sith.

16. David Campbell

Same with me at my Friday showing. A half freaking hour. Argh! Thankfully I took my brother and mom to another showing at a mom and pop theater today. One trailer and then the movie.

Eh,the X-wing thing is no worse than the trope of a car setting in a barn for a couple decades starting back up and working as if it was parked the night before. (Hello new Ghostbusters trailer!)

Plus you figure these things are airtight for interstellar lightspeed travel ,so it's actually plausible.

coffeetime likes this.
  17. David Campbell

My local indie theater had this one and the last two Sequels. Strangely enough Lucasfilm blocked the same theater from the prequels.

zombiemodernist and coffeetime like this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

So if you fly an X-wing you’re required to wear a dorky ass helmet? Even if it’s been in a swamp for twenty years?

19. David Campbell

Who's to say it was in the swamp? Luke could have had his helmet in one of the huts he once occupied on Ach-To.

20. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

My ranking:

1) THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
    2 ) A NEW HOPE
    3) THE RISE OF SKYWALKER
    4) RETURN OF THE JEDI
    5) THE FORCE AWAKENS
    6) SOLO
    7) ROGUE ONE
    8) REVENGE OF THE SITH
    9) THE PHANTOM MENACE
    10) THE LAST JEDI
    11) ATTACK OF THE CLONES

BlueGangsta likes this.
  21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

That wasn’t what I was driving at ...

22. David Campbell

So saw it today with family. Still enjoyed it. My mom and brother who has gone with me to every big screen Star Wars release since Revenge of the Sith enjoyed it. The 20 or so people in my matinee showing enjoyed it from what I could tell. A good time at the movies. Still 8/10.

A few things I noticed this time that I hadn't before...

-John Williams had an onscreen cameo! I missed it the first time.

Anyone else notice Kylo Ren's scar also disappeared when Rey healed him? Subtle but cool.

Speaking of which,I noticed that Ben never says another word in the movie after his turn from the dark side. Didn't realize that the first time. Also the little shrug he gives the knights of Ren after Rey passes him the Skywalker legacy saber is pure Han Solo. He's his father's son it seems. Adam Driver is the best actor in this trilogy.

Someone does use the Holdo Maneuver in the movie! Theres an ever so brief shot near the end of the forest moon of Endor as the ewoks look up to see a Final Order Star Destroyer very clearly being torn in half in the same way Snoke's ship was in TLJ.

23. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

I thought our local Emagine chain did a decent job with just a handful of trailers and 1 ad in the middle of them. I prefer a movie going experience that includes trailers, but not if it's going to be 15+ min of previews and ads.

24. David Campbell

Yep the trailers are fine ,but when you're told a show starts at 12:30 pm it should start no later than 12:45. 1PM is pushing it.

superstar19 likes this.
  25. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I just saw it. I liked it. I’ve got a lot to say I’m sure but I’ll begin with this:
    Poe’s girlfriend looks like a Mighty Morphin Power Ranger.

BlueGangsta and David Campbell like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.