Star Wars: Rogue One [Now with GIANT SPOILERS, so beware!]

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

I hate being that nitpicky know-it-all guy, but the Bothans are credited with stealing plans for the second Death Star, in Return of the Jedi. And as far as the martial arts elements, we have to remember one of Lucas's biggest influences was Kurosawa Samurai films. I think it's great to see more of that type of imagery.

The anthology films are supposed to feel different from the core saga. It's a chance for other filmmakers to get a little experimental within the universe. R1 has been pitched as a heist/war film that's not about Jedis and lightsabers. What I'm pleased to see is that it still looks very colorful and "Star Warsy", not monotone and modern/gritty like Batman Vs. Superman, for example. But I expect the story to focus more on the life of soldiers on the ground and the military aspects of the galactic conflict. I think we'll see less humor and purposeful camp than TFA, but that doesn't mean it will be without humor.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  2. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

Wow. that looks amazing. It feels and looks retro but at the same time clean and polished. Loved seeing the ATATs from that vantage point.

3. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

The laser dish on the Death Star,does it always retract say for cooling after a blast and we have never seen it before,or is the Empire is outsourcing parts of the Death Star so it has to be assembled on site? It seems such a large object would be build as part of the structure and not pieced together since it's miles in size .Or is it just a cool visual?These are important nitpicky questions that need to be answered;)

4. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Take my money now. . .:goodie:

Is that Mon Mothma?

5. Scopitone

Also, are we to feel bad for the contractors on the Death Star? Or did they know what they were getting into by working for the Empire?

6. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Silly, isn't it? I seriously don't understand said rage (but if YouTube comments are to be believed, there are actually people upset about this).

As both a nerd and a red-blooded American male, I will NEVER complain about getting to watch hotties like Daisy Ridley and Felicity Jones running around in form-fitting outfits kicking ass. And there are still plenty of male characters to relate to and to idolize in these movies.

Besides, I think most Star Wars fans are capable of relating to a character like Rey or Jyn as a human, regardless of gender.

turnersmemo, Jim B., Drifter and 2 others like this.
  7. Scopitone

I don't see the nerd rage on twitter. All I see are people complaining about said nerdrage.

Also, Felicity Jones FTW

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I guess it's asking too much for the writers to come up with a different physical type for the protagonist in their effort to "expand" the Star Wars universe?

I mean, this is supposedly the age of diversity.

LivingForever likes this.
  9. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Yes, sometimes it's hard to tell if these "outrages" are significant and genuine, or somewhat manufactured by way of people making assumptions about assumptions egged on by trolls. Ah, the internet...

10. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I thought many fans were now guessing she's Rey's mother (because they both have British accents, I guess).

11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Baby steps, he said, completely unsarcastically. The diverse characters this time around are highlighted in the trailer at least.

12. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

Yes it is. It has to be. That's the first thing I thought "oh look Mon Mothma is in it and she has an uncanny resemblance to the actress that played her in Return of the Jedi". If they are going all out with this anthology, there's going to be a lot of "future" references to the other movies, such as the ATAT. Who knows maybe they're going to put in little easter eggs like seeing the falcon. I loved the holo projector with the 2 imperial red guards. standing beside it.

Scopitone likes this.
  13. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Yes, it's Mon Mothma, and it's actually the same actress that played her in a deleted Revenge of the Sith scene.

FVDnz, mmars982 and lambfan68 like this.
  14. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

Oh cool. And she does look like a younger version of her also.

15. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Think we could see Jimmy Smits make a cameo. Perhaps others, too.

neo123 and FVDnz like this.
  16. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I keep seeing this mistake all over the internet today. "Bothans died" for the plans to the second Death Star, not this one. I think people are getting confused because Mon Monthma is in this movie, and she's the one who delivered that line in Jedi.

There wasn't really any humor in the Force Awakens trailer either, and that film had quite a bit of lighthearted moments. I think the whole point of the trailers is just to overwhelm you with iconic images and action. Throwing any hints of humor into it would kinda pull you out of the moment.

Drifter likes this.
  17. amonjamesduul

Well according to some they are responsible for knowing who they work for.:D

Scopitone likes this.
  18. amonjamesduul

So for years we have seen how useless Stormtrooper armor is against laserblasts now we see it does not even protect against a blow from a stick,what purpose could it have?

Matthew Tate and Plan9 like this.
  19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Sorry abour my Bothan faux pax. Forgive me, almighty nerds.

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Go Katniss! j/k.

Looked pretty good - hope there is a decent story to it.

Solaris likes this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Wait a minute, the last movie isn't even cold in its grave and there's a trailer for the next film? I think Disney is going to get on my nerves with these reboots.

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You ain't seen nothin' yet. They'll be rolling these things out on a production line, just like the comic books movies are doing now. One or two every year or so.

Ghostworld likes this.
  23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Pffft! I was going to say exactly what you mentioned: First, the studio takes the comic book superhero concept and runs that into the ground. Now, they're going to transform Star Wars from cherished childhood myth into cookie-cutter product #17. You're absolutely right, I can see it coming.

24. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Awesome seeing the proper stormtrooper outfits. [​IMG] :thumbsup:

(and Felicity Jones :D)

25. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Disney hasn't been quiet about their intentions-- a Saga film one year, alternating with an "anthology" film the next. "Rogue One" is the first anthology film, and next year will see Episode VIII. I don't think "Rogue One" is a reboot, either; though not considered a Saga film, it's like a direct prequel to Episode 4. Other anthology films will apparently be more of standalone nature revolving around a main character, like Han Solo or Boba Fett. There's talk of an Obi-Wan Kenobi movie and bringing back Ewan MacGreggor. The possibilities are literally endless, if not the audience's appetite.

Jim B., sgtmono and Drifter like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.