Star Wars: Rogue One [Now with GIANT SPOILERS, so beware!]

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

Already happened in my house... I introduced my son (at age7) to A New Hope, he enjoyed it but wasn't as blown away like I thought he would be. I then got the bluray box set of all 6 movies and proceeded to watch them in order. By now my son is 8, going on 9 and he loved all of them. He was devastated when Anakin turned to the dark side but as a result he totally bought into the payoff at the end of ROTJ when he comes good again. He also enjoyed episode 7 but was nowhere near as upset as me or my wife were with what happened to Han (certainly not as upset as he was with the Anakin story arc) and he absolutely loved R1 (at age 13).

amonjamesduul likes this.
  2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

How did the "no, I am your father" so-old-it's-no-longer-a-twist twist go over?

3. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

Well of course watching the films in the order he did meant the 'big reveal' fell a bit flat... his 'Empire' moment came in ROTS when Anakin turns. Thinking about it I'm not sure how he even thinks about Luke and his place in the story. Certainly not the same way I, who grew up with trilogy, does.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, if you wanted to do "R1" and "Star Wars" as a double-feature, I think that'd be cool.

But if you're gonna do an "episode marathon", stick with "episodes"! :)

5. Oatsdad

You mean like they did for "Sith"? :shh:

[​IMG]

Mazzy likes this.
  6. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident Thread Starter

The CGI is better.

SonOfAlerik likes this.
  7. Just get a great new actor. Who cares if he doesn't look like Cushing. They didn't create a CGI Dumbledotecin Hasr Potter when Richard Harris died.

budwhite likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

I would agree that CG Tarkin looks more like Cushing - and the makeup job on the "Sith" actor isn't great.

But what looks good in a still photo doesn't necessarily work when in motion. CG Tarkin just seems fake - New Actor Tarkin may resemble Cushing less, but at least he comes across as a real person...

Yeah, agree - get someone Cushing-esque so there's still a resemblance but don't fret if he's not an exact match.

Crap, Spencer Wilding looks nothing like David Prowse, but no one complained about that! :laugh:

9. James Bonds, Darin Stevens .....

10. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

A guy whose face is covered by a beard is easier to recast than someone who doesn't have facial hair.

11. Oatsdad

Oh, obviously there's a precedent - and it's not like they're going with a CG Harrison Ford for the Han Solo prequel, either.

I don't know why they felt the need for a "photoaccurate" Cushing in the movie...

Mazzy likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

Sure, but it's also true that audiences would be more likely to notice an actor change that occurred so quickly, too. The Potters switched Dumbledores literally from one year to the next, so audiences had a firm idea of how the character looked.

I think audiences would've accepted a new Tarkin just fine - beard or no! :D

13. I didn't even know it was the same charachter until I saw aCG guy thrown in.

14. Encuentro

If audiences are going to be split on it, maybe they should have gone with a different actor. I'm perfectly fine with the depiction as it is but wouldn't have complained if they had simply used a look-alike.

Stormrider77 and Mazzy like this.
  15. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

There is a great interview on YouTube of Sir Alec Guineas on the Michael Parkinson show about Star Wars (did you know he got 2.25 % of the takings). Anyway, it must be a few months after A New Hope was released and he gets asked his opinion on the film. Very astutely he says "people will read far too much into it".

YouTube »

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    Juggsnelson likes this.
  16. BeatleJWOL

the problem is with the audience?

:D

17. Encuentro

Well, the internet tends to amplify negative criticism. People are often more vocal about what they don't like than what they do like. Outside of forums like these and social media, I'm not sure most fans give a blank about the CGI depictions.

18. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

That was a fun watch. Nice to see Sir Alec enjoying himself while speaking about the film.

Jim B. likes this.
  19. BeatleJWOL

More information on Rogue One from one of the horse's many mouths. The three gentlemen interviewed here are Leland Chee, Pablo Hidalgo, and Matt Martin of the Lucasfilm Story Group. In other words, they're the consultants on all things canon in the Star Wars universe. Some of the contentious points from the film are tackled here, but I look at it this way; if these guys' explanations don't cut it for you, no explanation will.

20. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Forum Resident

As having corresponded with Peter on a few occasions, I can say with some confidence he would have loved it, with the hope they gave him some descent lines.

mpayan likes this.
  21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Good gosh and I thought I was a SWs nerd :wtf:

22. BeatleJWOL

Those are the guys that get paid to be Star Wars nerds. :p

23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

After seeing this again, I have to say Im going to backpeddle. I dont think its really a very good Star Wars movie. I felt absolutely zero for the characters. They werent in any way developed as individuals or types. Just one big amalgamation of shoot em up scenes. Which were cool, but thats about it. No doubt, the best effects and balance of the "look" of Star Wars. So, ok.

I stated earlier that I thought the storyline was pretty good. Im not even sure about that now. These characters motivation doesnt seem focused and it leads me to not knowing exactly why they are even putting out so much effort. People are saying "Its a dark war film". I dont even see it as that. Dark is fine, evil striking back is fine. This one just seems to be hum drum.

After seeing this three times now, it doesnt hold up imo. At least Force Awakens had characters that where more defined and I began to care about. Not saying it was a great Star Wars movie either, but Rogue One is simply a fan boy made movie. Nothing more.

ohnothimagen and schugh like this.
  24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I tell you what Id like to see. The Sith backstory. The original conflict between the Jedi and Sith.

25. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

You took the words right outta my mouth!:cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.