Star Wars sequels to be ‘erased’ and made null and void...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dunkrag, Jun 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Lucas could have made Jar Jar a sith lord, but noooooooo...

Purple likes this.
  2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Yes. Doomc**k is one of the ones who has talked smack about the new Star Trek and said stupid crap every time.

nosliw likes this.
  3. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Horses hit.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  4. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

Or with original-recipe NBC 60s Star Trek on DVD-- to some, the only way to truly enjoy that classic inaugural Trek is with the original 60s NBC special effects; the remastering ruins the show and doesn't do it justice (at least from what I've heard).

5. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

No, AFAICT the Blu-ray effects were limited to the ship exteriors. My guess is that Blu-ray resolution made the original miniature shots unusable. There may have been some work on how props are illuminated or sound, but I'm not expert enough to know.

The ship's deck and other things you think might have been considered for refurbishing were not done. You can occasionally see the grain of gray painted plywood! And the actors' makeup is a bit jarring at first.

A friend is a huge fan from the original broadcasts and would have objected to wholesale STAR WARS style revisionism, but he really likes the Blu-rays and that's how he shows them to his kids.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    David Campbell and bmasters9 like this.
  6. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

They can erase the lot of them for all I care now.

It was fun back in 1977! But now everyone has just sucked all the fun and integrity out of it.

A shambles.

7. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

IIRC there were over 35 changes before they even get to Alderaan. So it’s way more than “a little digital editing”

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The "Trek" BDs include both the revised and the original effects...

9. Exotiki

And that’s the point, we’re not arguing the special edition shouldn’t exist. We’re saying we should be able to choose if we want to buy the OOT or the SE or both! But unfortunately we haven’t been given that chance since 2006.

Star Trek did it right, we are given options.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  10. Oatsdad

And I'm with you - I'm all for the OOT getting a good quality release!

I got the impression some thought the "Trek" TOS BDs only included the revised visuals, though...

BeatleJWOL, bmasters9 and Exotiki like this.
  11. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

Far from it-- I was speaking in general terms about how some fans of the Trek franchise are purists only, and seemingly deem the remastered edition an abomination (notwithstanding the PQ option on the Blus).

12. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Exactly. They even shot new footage for some of the movies, added in new CGI characters, etc. Hardly "a little digital editing".

budwhite, Bluesman Mark and Exotiki like this.
  13. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

They should've had him join Anakin in turning to the Dark Side. "Meesa gonna help you kill these kids!"

14. Drew

Drew Senior Member

When George Lucas sold the property to Disney I said we were going to get Kentucky Fried Star Wars movies and that's exactly what we got. If you don't think mouse house isn't done sucking money out of consumers pockets in the name of the Force and all the is holy... Your crazy.

Zeroninety and Purple like this.
  15. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

Yup. You can argue all you want about their quality, but the sequels were not an artistic statement or vision- like there was this interesting story that just had to be told. They were pure product.

(As it happens the story they did come up with nullified/obviated the first three films, so maybe there was an artistic motivation).

16. Oatsdad

So "Trek" purists don't like the remastered BD visuals - even with the original effects?

Why??? Because it doesn't look like it did on a crappy 15" Sylvania in 1968?

bmasters9 and Exotiki like this.
  17. Exotiki

Unless it was cropped to 16 by 9 or NR'd to death or somthing, I don't see why people would complain.

bmasters9 likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

Yeah, me either. The "Trek" BDs use the original aspect ratio, the original mono audio, the original FX and look great. As far as I know, they've not been tinkered with in a substantial way - if you opt for original FX, that is.

No clue why fans would be upset with them! :shrug:

enro99, bmasters9 and Exotiki like this.
  19. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

For me, the new FX in the Star Trek TOS, are okay, but they don't improve many of the great stories, acting and chemistry between the characters. The old effects don't bother me because many of the stories are so good, it doesn't really matter. Of course, there are some lesser episodes, but the good ones stand out and still work, even if the FX look dated by todays standards.

budwhite and bmasters9 like this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

21. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I still like "Star Wars" the best, but "Empire" and "Jedi" are decent too... I loved it all as a kid, but now look back on it and think if "Star Wars" was it, and no sequels were ever made, I'd be fine with that.

"Star Wars" the franchise (the entire thing, *all* the films, the EU, and so on down the line) has gone way beyond anything I'd even have any interest in. It's good it's still around for those who enjoy it, but truthfully, if I never see anything but the three original films, that's A-Okay with me. I have zero interest in the rest of it.

MPLRecords and daglesj like this.
  22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the first 'star wars' was groundbreaking cinema.......the whole thing then became a parody of itself. cartoons with real actors.

23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Well, if you're going to go all "purist" on TOS, I say it must be savored in its' bleached-out independent-station syndicated form, as it was when it was originally a fad: fading color, choppy edits to fit hundreds of more commercials in, credits hacked to pieces, with "Desilu" replaced by "Gulf & Western Company", and crappy local-tv-station splices! :pineapple:

David Campbell, enro99 and bmasters9 like this.
  24. Oatsdad

The only issue I have with the original FX is that the live-action parts of the episodes look so good, the FX stand out as problematic.

That said, I prefer them. While the new FX didn't go wild, they also didn't mesh all that well with the low-tech world of TOS.

As I said in my review: "I wasn’t especially wild about the altered effects. Sure, they looked great – a little too great, I thought. They didn’t fit in particularly well with the semi-clunky look of everything else in the “TOS” world. "

BeatleJWOL and bmasters9 like this.
  25. Oatsdad

Honestly, I think that's what the "purists" want! If "TOS" doesn't look exactly as it did on consumer TVs in 1968, it's trash! :D

BeatleJWOL, bmasters9 and Dillydipper like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.