Star Wars sequels to be ‘erased’ and made null and void...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dunkrag, Jun 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Can I get a pre-Teflon baking sheet of Gino's Pizza Rolls with that amen!

Exotiki and Oatsdad like this.
  2. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

The FX in STAR TREK TOS were only minimal at best. There were a few stories where the effects were somewhat emphasized like "The Doomsday Machine", but most of the time in the series, it's just an Enterprise fly-by of the planet of the week at the start of an act. So even with the redone effects, the basic stories and acting shine through on the Blu-rays. Even if one chooses to watch the old faded effects, they're on-screen so briefly most of the time, that it's a non-factor.

bmasters9, NaturalD and budwhite like this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The new FX still kinda take me out of the shows, though. They're just so shiny and sleek that they don't mesh. They might be onscreen for a brief period, but it's enough to distract, IMO...

Grand_Ennui, HGN2001 and Exotiki like this.
  4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I agree that it can be distracting, but so can the original effects that are so dirty and grungy. It's all what you get used to. The original effects are as bad as they are because of low budgets from the network, and different effects houses trying to keep up with the hectic schedule.

I mostly watch the original series with the new effects - at least that's the way it's been - I think I'm ready though to watch some episodes with the older effects again.

[​IMG]

5. Oatsdad

I agree there's no perfect solution. On one hand, the new FX are too shiny/glossy to match the low-tech vibe of the show, but on the other hand, the old FX look so ratty that they don't connect with the pristine quality of the HD transfers.

I still prefer the old FX but see that neither is ideal!

6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Wouldn't it be just awful if, after all this time, it turns out, Disney only wanted the franchise in the first place...because of the marketing potential for the Ewoks...? :yikes:

David Campbell likes this.
  7. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident Thread Starter

8. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Same horse, different $hit. There's a loud subset of male fans that have been foaming at the mouth since at LEAST Rogue One and the stories of its reshoots for her to get out of the way of presumably some other dude that'll make stories with less cooties or something.

10. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Haha that is it exactly. Why do men get to be so afraid of women having stronger roles in things? I will never, till the day I die, understand that.

11. Oatsdad

12. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Probably because those people don’t exist. Their strawmen. That’s why you can understand them.

Doctor Worm likes this.
  13. BeatleJWOL

Those people absolutely exist. They're not a majority and they're not the only ones with criticisms, but saying they don't exist is just silly.

Grand_Ennui and wondergrape like this.
  14. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I have seen the films and problems are vast but gender is not one of them.

nosliw, Exotiki and BeatleJWOL like this.
  15. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Umm... Disney BOUGHT Lucasfilm. Not Star Wars itself. And who would Disney sell it to? It ain't like George wants it back at 76 years old.

Grand_Ennui and razerx like this.
  16. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I dont think this will happen,but it more plausible than Disney flushing three billion dollar plus grossing films away to please a few thousand vocal angry nerds online.

I *could * see Lucasfilm taking George's original VII -IX treatments, reworking some elements ,fleshing them out as actual scripts and filming them,with George acting as a main consultant. Don"t call them Episodes VII,VIII or IX,just their own thing set sometime within the 35 year gap between Episodes VI and VII. Or even retroactively deem these the new VII ,VIII and IX and renumber the sequels X,XI and XII. Wouldn't be the first time Star Wars numbering was done retroactively.

Of course the Fandom Menace would probably still throw a fit because that would require recasting of Luke,Han and Leia, and the sequel trilogy as made would still exist and in canon.

I personally think they should just leave the Skywalker stuff in the past and forge ahead with new stories in new settings within the universe, but that's just me.

In any case I don't see George sitting in a director or producer chair ever again.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    BeatleJWOL and SJP like this.
  17. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

enough with the trilogies.....retreads....reworking etc.....just make one good movie. one good exciting movie with maybe all new characters

budwhite likes this.
  18. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

I am very active in Star Wars groups and some are very critical of the sequel trilogy. Not a one person have I interacted with had an opinion along the lines of "Well the ideas were amazing and the characters were great and the plot was strong and this and that... but the producers a girl so I HATE THESE FILMS!!!"

People don't like these films and see her as the one in charge and use her as a scapegoat. I don't like these films but I don't use her as a scapegoat, she's not the person to be complained to.

But my point is, saying that the people who would like a change in direction are doing it just because she's a woman and not because they along with a very large portion of the fanbase don't like the films: it just doesn't hold up.

19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

No they do exist. You can find them online often enough.

That doesn't mean that everyone who doesn't like something is driven by those feelings of course.

David Campbell and BeatleJWOL like this.
  20. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

Or they could just be people who think she did a bad job and want someone better to take over. I don't care if someone is a man or a woman---I just want them to do a good job. Kennedy hasn't.

budwhite and Exotiki like this.
  21. BeatleJWOL

That's true, and those people exist too.

22. Oatsdad

That's kinda how people view "Rogue One". Despite cameos from some OT biggies, it's essentially all-new characters, and many like it a lot.

The trick might be whether they can make a successful, well-reviewed "Star Wars" movie with no real connection to the OT!

Rosskolnikov, budwhite and Exotiki like this.
  23. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

they need to, trotting out the same characters over and over is just boring, get a good director and start over

24. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Exactly, and they should make all the characters women, gay or non-white just to make all the idiots heads explode.

BeatleJWOL and the pope ondine like this.
  25. Oatsdad

But they did trot out a lot of new characters for the ST and people still bitched!

BeatleJWOL likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.