Star Wars: Solo First Details of 4K Blu Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Song4U, Jun 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member Thread Starter

I saw this article today about details of the upcoming 4K and blu-ray discs for the just released Solo movie. I think the Best Buy cover looks really cool with the Millennium Falcon. I also like the Target edition with the model replica (but why that color).

I've never owned a steel book edition so I might have to get the Best Buy exclusive.

First Details About 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' Blu-Ray Emerge

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/solo-a...y-only--best-buy-2018/6243856.p?skuId=6243856

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2 Blu-Ray + Digital Code + Figure) REDCARD Exclusive

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SamS likes this.
  2. Kubricker

Kubricker Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow…

Yeah should be out by next month!

3. Song4U

I'm wondering if the Millennium Falcon is really reddish or is it just something in the background during photographing the piece? Also how are they going to get that replica inside the box and are they metal pieces or plastic? Ha ha

4. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And since the other thread is closed, here's a link to what director Ron Howard says in response to a fan who asked about why the film was disappointing at the box office:

‘Solo’ Director Ron Howard Responds To Fan’s ‘Star Wars’ Lament

I'd pay money for a boxed set of the rough cut of the film that the original directors had done, just to see if their approach was any better than what we ultimately saw.

6. Song4U

Here’s a video that is interesting to see recorded well before Solo was released. At about 2:35 they indicate that if Solo doesn’t do well should the fans demand to see the original cut? I’d love to see this as bonus cuts on the blu ray but would Disney allow it?

7. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I agree that a lot of people snubbed it because they were upset over The Last Jedi. Me and a friend of mine went to see Solo on opening weekend. I thought it was great. Just as good as Rogue One in my opinion.

8. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I don’t believe that The Last Jedi had anything to do with Solo’s performance. The reaction to the film’s announcement was a collective ‘meh.’ The reaction to the film’s trailer was a collective ‘meh.’ The critical reaction was lukewarm, another collective ‘meh.’

Jrr and Stratoblaster like this.
  9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

At least I felt like i was watching a Star Wars film watching Solo. I thought I had wandered into the b-movie action catalogue of Netflix watching Rogue One.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's kind of the way it was for me. But the biggest problem that I think happened was simply that it came out six months after the last Star Wars movie. The industry seems to think the problem was the marketing, but I'm skeptical about that.

11. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

Red for Target exclusive?

They are not very fun to build..

12. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I've loved SW since I was 5, and I always thought that there could be no such thing as 'too much SW'. I was wrong. If they continue to release a movie every year, at some point Disney is going to realize that these movie aren't going to do as well as they think they are. I saw Solo this weekend, and it wasn't that bad at all. It was an entertaining popcorn movie. Not nearly as bad as some would have you think. I do feel that if they had waited a while longer, it would have done better. Maybe it would have been better off as a 5 part TV series on a streaming service.

bluesbro, Vidiot and Song4U like this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, I was telling somebody just the other day that if this had been a Netflix movie or a multipart TV show, people might not have griped too much. But a $250 million theatrical film? Yikes...

Kiko1974, SandAndGlass and Song4U like this.
  14. Song4U

That makes sense, I wasn’t even thinking Target =red. It looks like something that’s going to be a bear to put together.

Yayastone likes this.
  15. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Are they giving it away with steak knives? :rolleyes:

:cheers:
    Cat

Vidiot likes this.
  16. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

I think it's very unlikely we'll get a Lord & Miller cut of any kind (or as I keep calling it in my head, the "Lord & Taylor" cut):
    • Is a complete cut from L&M even possible? Did they shoot the complete script?
    • Even if they shot the whole script there would be a hefty cost for editing, sound VFX, etc.
    • Rogue One had extensive reshoots as well and Disney gave us exactly zero deleted scenes on its home video release (and that movie did well at the box office)
    • Interest in an L&M cut might not be there for the general punter, especially since the story would be pretty much exactly the same as both "versions" were shot from the same script
    It is too bad that they won't even give us some scene comparisons just to get some insight into the process. And to release an alternate L&M cut soon after the theatrical cut would be an insult to Ron Howard, and I don't see Disney doing that either unless they were somehow sure the financial return would put a substantial dent in their projected losses.

17. GullGutt

GullGutt Hei hopp

I saw this in 3d last week, and I'm actually shocked how awful it was. If the first version was worse....:mudscrying:Everything was so boring and uninspired, the performances, the story, the cinematography, how is it possible to spend so much money and get so little in return. They should have gotten someone like Tarantino to write and direct an adult Solo story

FACE OF BOE and Encuentro like this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Here's a very interesting essay on the crazy, obsessive people in STAR WARS fandom who drive actors and filmmakers crazy. I heard directly from George Lucas himself (when I worked at ILM) that he had given up trying to please the fans with his films, because "all they want to do is tear down everything I do." He told me he decided to only made films for himself, while hoping that they would find an audience. I think this is what eventually led him to retire a few years ago. I don't envy the people who made SOLO and the current films...

Hollywood Reporter: Toxic Fandom Is Killing 'Star Wars'

I think that's a lose-lose proposition for Disney, because if they release it and the fans think it's better than the released film, it makes the studio execs and Ron Howard look like idiots; if the fans think it's worse than the released film, it's an insult to original directors Lord & Miller.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Excellent essay! Knocks it out of the park!

Song4U likes this.
  20. Song4U

Make that Disney Park!! :laugh:

21. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

I'm thinking I'm going to wait until they offer up the collections of the spin off movies instead of buying them individually when they come out. I want to get Rogue One on BluRay but won't spend ~$30+ for just that....similarly with the Solo release.

22. Song4U

You have a lot of will power lol
    When I first saw the Rogue One blu ray Walmart edition with the very cool K2S0 cover I just had to buy that one.

Stratoblaster likes this.
  23. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

You must have seen a different movie than I did. I had no interest in a Solo movie. That said, I found it pretty enjoyable, much moreso than TLJ.

mpayan and Grunge Master like this.
  24. Song4U

This is not a bad article, maybe they should have spent more time with Han really growing up and then how he really learned to fly instead of cramming so much into the main movie. It should have be written into a 2 fold movie with a better cliff hanger for part 1.

I also wasn’t crazy about how they introduced Han to Chewie. It wasn’t how I thought they would meet.

‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’ Should Have Been Two Movies

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's a very interesting idea... but there wouldn't have been as much action if they had split it in half. I do think Solo's story is much bigger than they could cram into a 2-hour movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.