Star Wars: Solo First Details of 4K Blu Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Song4U, Jun 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Westworld was providing that! Though I understand the season just ended. And, fewer people have HBO so not as many water-cooler discussions as there were with LOST.

2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Who are “they?”
    You’re contending that Disney is looking for a way to cancel Rian Johnson’s contract. You have not backed this contention up with anything, and it contradicts sources that Lucasfilm is going ahead with his trilogy after Episode IX. These are the same sources that have reported that the standalone films are on hiatus. If these reports are true, they would seem to indicate that Johnson’s work is not as maligned as its critics would desperately try to have us believe.

I purposefully left the Rotten Tomatoes audience score out of my post, because it has been established, beyond any reasonable doubt, that internet trolls have driven down the score. This is not conjecture; this is fact. Furthermore, I implied the reason for my ignoring the audience score when I posted the CinemaScore, a score that cannot be driven down by the same trolls who drove down the Rotten Tomatoes score.

SuntoryTime and Plan9 like this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't think that's true. I think the internet fan shows are done by a bunch of goofy fans with laptops, a cheap set, and a YouTube channel. But I would bet that Disney did do a lot of preliminary work on several films and they'd have scripts, storyboards, meetings, budgets, art direction sketches, and all that stuff ready to go. But they weren't ready to pull the trigger on another $100M-$150M film (let alone another $250M film). I don't doubt that the relative failure of Solo could well have scuttled a whole bunch of things, and they're re-assessing their need to release those films.

A lot of news sites are reporting that Disney has bought Fox, but until the boards of directors approve the sale (and it may even be subject to a stockholders' meeting), it ain't done yet. And I think the Justice department will be "concerned" about two corporate giant merging together into one bigger evil corporation. Still, the Disney-Fox deal makes a lot of sense, and I see more good than bad with it.

I think you're misinterpreting with the o.p. said. The news story claims that Disney is cancelling (or delaying) the "inbetween" films, not the saga itself. I think they are going to go through with an entire new Star Wars trilogy with entirely new characters, one that has nothing to do with the Skywalker family. Nothing wrong with that idea. It might do fine, assuming we're talking about a 2022 release (which seems like a long time from now).

coffeetime and Encuentro like this.
  4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I still think an Obi Wan movie is going to happen at some point. If Ewan McGregor is in on it.
    The charcater is well known and they don't need to introduce a new actor.
    Put Darth Vader in it and make it fairly cheap compared to Solo

Song4U likes this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

6. budwhite

[​IMG]

Song4U and SamS like this.
  7. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Is this official?

8. budwhite

I'm not sure. Could be just a sketch

Encuentro likes this.
  9. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member Thread Starter

10. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

September 14th.

David Campbell likes this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Solo has made $385 million worldwide for theatrical release as of today, which is not good. I think the biggest surprise for Disney was that the film failed to register all over the world in addition to the U.S., so it's not just a "toxic American fans" problem.

There have been many cases of films that tanked in theaters but later did well in home video, so I wouldn't be surprised if the disc release of Solo jumps to the top of the charts for at least a week or two. This won't do a lot to help Lucasfilm get to profit (which is still about $200 million away), but it'll soften the blow.

David Campbell likes this.
  12. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

I’m just not exactly sure why they have trouble pleasing fans. They are asking for more material that resembles 2.5 films from the late 70’s/80’s.
    They’re pretty straight forward films.
    Pull out some miniatures and build some sets. Go to weird locations. And get a story that is a family drama, set in a alternate universe, with the overtones of “world war”, totalitarian regimes, and religious zealots.

Make sure the costumes look dirty, the set pieces skuffed and use actors that are mostly unknown yet are somehow captivating.

Avoid obvious use of computer generated anything. Seriously paint something. Actually blowup a model or two.

Hit the nail of good/evil themes right on the head, and what do you have?

Star Wars

Also, leave the Alexa at home. And pack an extra Panavision PSR camera.

Why is this really that difficult?

ggg71, Rhett and Ghostworld like this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

All the official Star Wars films have been shot on film so far (including Episode IX). But there's so much digital VFX and processing, it almost doesn't matter. Solo and Rogue One were mostly shot on Alexa 65, with film grain added as a composite for final delivery. Panavision hasn't made PSR (Pellicle Silent Reflex) cameras for 50 years; a Panavision Millenium XL2 would be a current 35mm project and they do have 65mm models as well.

Don't confuse shooting on digital as shooting badly. So much depends on lighting and exposure, that's really what the final quality of the image comes from. Final color in post also has an effect, and that's largely a decision made by the filmmakers (whether film or digital).

budwhite likes this.
  14. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

This I'm aware of. Also the new film stocks are sooo crystal clear, and have that high contrast.

What I'm implying is using old stock cameras and vintage lenses. I'm sure the risk of operational failure would be enough for a major studio to shut it down. But why not?

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Why not use new film cameras and modern lenses? They work fine with current film negative stock. I think you're erroneously assuming you get something beneficial out of this. Have you ever actually shot any 35mm motion picture film? Trust me, there's a lot more to it than this. I think the camera might be the least important thing about it. Lighting and exposure... those things are important. Panavision actually now has a new series of "vintage" lenses where they went back and rehoused 1960s glass in modern mounts, so you can get those aberrations and distortions if you really want them. And believe it or not, there are digital shows using those lenses.

As important as I think lighting and exposure and lenses and camerawork and art direction and editing and color and all that stuff is... all that is nothing without good story and good characters. And I'm not convinced that Solo had the latter two ingredients. Whether on film or on 8K digital or Imax or 3D or whatever, it doesn't matter if the audience doesn't give a ****.

SuntoryTime and budwhite like this.
  16. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Well I have to say after seeing Skyfall, Drive or Sicario; I don't see why film is even used anymore. Those three movies are some of the best looking newer movies I've seen.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Those are really beautiful, striking movies with bold visual looks. More than likely, you could shoot film or digital and still get fantastic results, because most of the hard work is done by the cinematographer.

Simon A and Time Is On My Side like this.
  18. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Is everyone who disliked TLJ an internet troll? A lot of times critics hate things that the public consumers love. Look at Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. Why is it so hard to believe that this is also the case with TLJ?

Rick Sanchez likes this.
  19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Precisely. And I’m sure an expert like vidiot can color correct and filter the look so close to film that nobody’s gonna notice. But there will always be that noisy one percent of the population like us here with vinyl.

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Personally you can throw all the entertainment trades away and all the reviewer‘s, in my book, if you want an accurate indicator of what films are actually popular among the target audience of 13 to 20-year-olds I go on pirate bay and see what have been in the top 100 films for months. You can do that without infringing on copyright just see what people are really interested in if cost Isn’t a factor. I will put a list shortly of what the top films have been among the trading crowd. I think they went down again today. All I know is I’ve been keeping my eye on interstellar and that’s absolutely the top Syfy film of the last five years -- always in the top 100, even in a list also containing TV shows and series.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  21. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I didn’t say that everyone who disliked The Last Jedi is an internet troll. I said that the Rotten Tomatoes audience score was deliberately driven down by internet trolls. A small group, using bots and fake accounts, posted fake reviews to drive the score down. This is not conjecture. This is fact.

22. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

As far as optical quality goes, I don’t see clarity or detail as the pinnacle aspect of quality.
    I think it’s more about execution and the effect on the story.

Like Saving Private Ryan with the muted color and non-traditional shutter angle. It added intensity and realism.

Or The French Connection with the zooms, high grain, and pushed stock. The gritty life in New York City was palpable.

Baby Driver? Crystal clean. Could’ve been film or digital. It didn’t matter. There was no real style to it, and it was done with film. Had it been darker, lots of grain, shakier cameras, less saturation it would have been more convincing as a high speed crime film. It came across like a generic Hollywood blockbuster.

I think trying to make something look as best as possible doesn’t aid as much to the story, as a style that is consistent through out.

The Last Jedi is the “best looking” Star Wars. If you think best is over saturation, detail, and clarity.

I think the grittier New Hope is more intriguing. More high key tungsten lighting, similar to a western.

I always like a movie that is a bunch of people not knowing exactly what they’re doing, because it’s never been done before. That goes all the way down to the actors, who I’m sure were all just winging it.

By the time we’re here at The Last Jedi, everyone knows what a Star Wars movie should be like, and I think they’re still thinking of the 1997 cut. Or the Phantom Menace. Not that late 70’s sci-fi epic, that kinda looked like ****, but it had imagery never thought possible.

Imagine seeing 11 2001: A Space Odyssey movies. They would all end up a bit over produced and generic.

Rick Sanchez, budwhite and Ghostworld like this.
  23. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I'd be interested as to how you can prove such an accusation. :-popcorn:

24. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

25. Rick Sanchez

Rick Sanchez Well-Known Member

Before I comment, let me preface that I grew up with the Original Trilogy and love Star Wars.

TLJ it was a terrible. terrible movie. Granted I did not see it on the "big screen" rather a very small screen on a 2.5 hour flight. If I had it to do over again, I would have stared at the tray table attached to the seat in front of me instead.

IMHO, TLJ is the worst "Star Wars" movie to date. (I cannot comment on Solo, as I did not bother to watch it.)

Kiko1974 and Deesky like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.