Star Wars: Solo First Details of 4K Blu Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Song4U, Jun 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

If you actually read the article you posted to the end, you would see that the authors acknowledge that there isn't actually any proof that the trolls were responsible for the poor audience score, and that the negative reaction was at least partially genuine.

2. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I did not like TLJ, but thought Solo was quite good.

Ghostworld likes this.
  3. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

I’ve heard this quite often. Makes me actually want to check out Solo.

4. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

hmm - Interesting if actually true. Though I don't read Huffington because of their political bias from past events. So I'm not sure this is indeed true or accurate to the extent claimed.
    But regardless - episode 8 was very divisive and the fans spoke with their dollars by boycotting Solo.
    The dollars spoke and I hope Kennedy and Disney heard the fans disapproval with the direction they are taking Star Wars and right the ship for episode 9.

Though I did go and see Solo in the theaters and by and large I enjoyed it. I didn't like how they made Lando out to be in love with a robot - it just felt out of place.
    I did enjoy the new guy as Han Solo - believe it or not!
    And Chewbacca - well he's as cool as ever! Chewie will always be my favorite character!

So with all that said I will def buy the Solo bluray 3d version when it streets.

Tony-A likes this.
  5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I did read the article to the end. I’m well aware that responsible journalists acknowledge that there are at least two sides to every story. I fully understand that is more than one possibility for the low audience score. But there is a huge disparity between the Rotten Tomatoes score and the scores tallied by CimemaScore, ComScore and IMDb. Two groups have stated that they have used bots and fake accounts to drive the Rotten Tomatoes score down. There’s something fishy in the waters at Rotten Tomatoes.

“But both the Rotten Tomatoes audience score and Metacritic user rating could be notable outliers. “The Last Jedi” has received an A from CinemaScore, which surveys moviegoers on opening night, as well as a five-star rating from crowds canvassed by ComScore. As Deadline notes, “These are scientific, statistically accumulated audience exit polls that studios can take to the bank, and which they rely upon to deconstruct various elements of a film’s opening.” The movie also has a more favorable 7.8 out of 10 on IMDb and is Force-choking the box office, where it will soon cross $500 million worldwide.”
    Surprise, Surprise: The 'Alt-Right' Claims Credit For ‘Last Jedi’ Backlash | HuffPost

6. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Samcj likes this.
  7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'm watching "Solo" and I like the damn movie.

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Solo is my favorite Star Wars since The Force Awakens, and as a "modern" Star Wars film, it may even be better than TFA. It's certainly a light-speed jump ahead of the terrible Rouge One and the pretty stupid The Last Jedi. By boycotting the film unseen, Star Wars fans only screwed themselves.

Al Smith and David Campbell like this.
  9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

They didn’t boycott the film; they simply weren’t interested in seeing it. The film tanked on its own. I’ve been a diehard Star Wars fan since 1977, and even I wasn’t particularly interested in seeing this film. But I went to see it because, like I said, I’m a diehard Star Wars fan. And the film lived up to my expectations; it was a bore.

The boycott claim continues to collapse under the weight of the cold, hard facts. It was recently reported that The Last Jedi has sold more Blu-rays than any other in 2018 so far.
    STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI Has Sold the Most Blu-Rays in 2018 So Far

$1.3 billion at the box office.
    #1 Blu-ray in 2018 so far.

Face it; The Last Jedi is an unmitigated success. The malcontents had no effect on Solo’s box office numbers. As the article above correctly states, the malcontents are nothing more than a very small but vocal minority.

IronWaffle, Vidiot and David Campbell like this.
  10. Haven't seen Solo yet will probably rent it. For the record I loved Rogue One and The Last Jedi. I thought that TFA was a greatest hits album of previous moments, re-recorded.

Encuentro likes this.
  11. For all of the political content that Huffington features, their stories are vetted and accurate. Now whether or not folks want to hear the story is another thing entirely...

As to the film being divisive--I think that it was a small group of folks that were dissatisfied. I felt that with The Last Jedi and even Rogue One they were going in the right direction. I think that people didn't go to Solo for a couple of reasons 1) they had a large amount of Star Wars within a short span of time after years between episodes 2)the curious went to see both TFA and TLJ 3) Less people were interested in seeing Solo. It's no mystery. I'm sure the absurd boycott probably had a very small impact but, on the whole, it had little to do with Solo's success or failure. I disliked the three Star Wars movies that came before TFA but that didn't stop me from going to see any of the films after. I just wasn't interested in hearing about the early days of Han Solo.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Encuentro likes this.
  12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I can only "Solo" being boring to Star Wars fans because everything - except chewie, han and Lando -- were NEW and they couldn't sit in their seats conspiratorially whispering their canon of SW knowledge to their girlfriend's: "That's Ola Maboola, Boba Fett's sister who orchestrated the Kerillian Rebellion in the expanded universe novels!" and they had to sit there and swallow new characters and plots and couldn't handle the brain overload.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  13. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I'm not familiar with any of that expanded universe stuff. It just isn't a very good movie, in my humble opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. I am, however, willing to give the movie another shot. Maybe it will grow on me.

14. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Solo is a good movie. The cast is great and so is the plot. Harrison Ford is a hard act to follow and the comparisons will be inevitable. It is one of the better SW movies out there. What Solo lacks is the element of surprise because SW fans already know the Han Solo lure and know he will make that Kessel run and win the Falcon and all that. Good story with no suspense but it is not anybody's fault.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  15. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I didn't bother with Solo.

wayneklein likes this.
  16. Slappy9001

Slappy9001 Senior Member

Watched this last night. Long time Star Wars fan, liked (didn't love) Last Jedi for what it was...but I didn't like SOLO. Will try to watch it again at some point, but it felt...pointless.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yet people will go to "Kingsman" and or "Pacific Rim" which are completely crap shows unlike Kasdan's very snappy script. Don't even get me started on the horror of "Deadpool" movies.

If "Solo" had come out in 1977, there would now be a legion of a millions fans who hail the film as "ground-breaking" and a"Classic." Frankly I was pretty amazed how much action Kasdan piled in to "Solo." That train robbery was more fun than a million dull attacks on the Death Star. Maybe everybody who makes a Star Wars film is now too late to the party. I just think that SW nerds just don't know what do to without their ground rules of "The Force," a preeninng Darth Vader or cloying Princess Leia. I think Kasdan did a great job introducing old favorites, while pinning a new structure (ATTACK DEATH STAR AND BLOW IT UP) on the film. Whatever, it was slick, good looking, loved the new Han Solo, and good to see chewbacca a young 109 years old, too. Or maybe they're mad because "Solo" makes it clear once and for all: Han knows enough to ALWAYS SHOOT FIRST, and now a huge part of their life has been taken away from them. Nerds. Hahahah!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  18. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

So says you?

19. Well they are. All one has to do is look up their surce material mentioned. As to the source material of the article, it’s entirely possible but I think the situation was far more complex as the article noted it truly was built around negative reaction. People like to feel they are far more important than they are and I can’t see political reason WHY folks would truly do this. The reaction was just plain silly.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Encuentro likes this.
  20. In 1977 folks would have gone to see it because of the excitement around Star Wars. That excitement has worn off to,a degree. Also, in 1977Harrisn Ford would have starred in it.

21. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

This says otherwise: Huffington Post (HuffPost) - Media Bias/Fact Check

This site shows it to be a bit nebulous too: Huffington Post credibility in the U.S. 2017 | Statistic

But you're welcome to believe whatever you want.

22. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I will buy the 3d blu ray of this release when it comes out.

23. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I thought it was good. Not as good as Rogue One, but better than what the box office results show.

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I bet in ten years, when Alden has a few more under his belt, this will be considered episode one. I would watch another solo movie. this one didn't even have Jedi. Oh, Jedi, where were you, Jedi?

25. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Nope, didn't see any of them, either.

If "Solo" had come out in 1977....[/QUOTE]

But it DIDN'T, did it? By that argument, isn't the movie 40 years too late?

My main beef with the movie is simply that I have NO interest in going back in the story and filling in the blanks. I am familiar enough with enough of the back story - Solo meeting Chewie, Solo winning the Falcon from Lando, yadda, yadda - that I don't need to see it play out on the big screen. Whoever writes it (sorry, Larry).

Your mileage clearly varies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.