Star Wars: The Book of Boba Fett on Disney+

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by omikron, Dec 23, 2021.

1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Curveboy likes this.
  2. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account Thread Starter

MrJerry1876 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  3. Great post, I agree wholeheartedly. Episode 4 is today, looking forward to watching it this evening.

4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

5. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Linger63, SJP, Brett44 and 9 others like this.
  6. BeatleJWOL

Most arguments I've heard like that boil down some version of "Boba Fett is not a relentless killer anymore so I'm not interested". Which, I get it, I've watched John Wick movies and played first person shooter video games too, I know how much fun it is watching somebody just wreck everybody around them and walk away unscathed.

But that's not the story they're telling here. :shrug:

MrJerry1876, omikron, rmath84 and 4 others like this.
  7. DonNylon

DonNylon Forum Resident

Same. He entire article relies on the precedent that his "coolness" as a character lives in his anonymity, the mystique of not knowing who he is, why he is, or where he came from and to me personally, I find that a wildly subjective opinion and just don't agree with it. As a Star Wars fan we are subscribing to the storylines as much as the owning company's capitalistic motives so I'm confused why the article acts offended as his ressurrection was what, a ploy to make money?? The whole franchise is making money and I'll gladly give it to them because it's a good franchise! No beef, just trying to recognize subjective bases made sound objective in that article.

8. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Yet she and a 60 year old man fight off a dozen ninjas. I'm only willing to suspend my disbelief so far.

I'm only on episode 2 but for me the show needs to pick a time period and stick with it. If they started with the Tusken stuff I might be interested. But I know how it turns out so I don't care how Boba got there.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    Vidiot likes this.
  9. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Fine. Them call it the Book of Paige Tico, or Elan Sleazebaggano.

10. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Wow todays episode is so awful. Everything about it, from the music the new creatures and the special effects.
    It almost looks like this episode was made by a different group of people than the 1st three.

11. BeatleJWOL

[​IMG]

12. cliff_forster

cliff_forster Crabby Dad Tech

Can we talk about how incredible Ming Na looks pushing 60? When I saw she is 58 it kind of blew my mind. They say Paul Rudd doesn't age, but Ming Na has him beat.

13. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Ep 4 was the weakest ep so far but still enjoyable. Total plot driving episode.

Shawn and ex_mixer like this.
  14. DonNylon

DonNylon Forum Resident

Any fans see Thundercat's guest appearance?? He was the mechanic with the bleached dreads. I was laughing when I saw it, what a niche pop culture guy to throw in there. I'm a big fan of his music, but didn't know he was such a Star Wars fan.

JakeM, Lownote30 and rswitzer like this.
  15. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

This especially stuck out to me, which sums up a problem I have with a lot of series like this:

Jim B. and FACE OF BOE like this.
  16. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

I have not watched, but two people I know are raving about how great it is.

17. BeatleJWOL

A character that you just ooh and ah over, don't know anything about, and can't learn any more about because it would "diminish" the "mystique"...is that even a character anymore, or just a plot device?

It's not the most exciting story and it's been a slow burn, but for someone like me that sunk teeth into the old Expanded Universe (now Legends) novels a couple decades ago, I'm right at home.

18. I’m guessing we’re done with the flashbacks as the past/present have nearly come together?

Curveboy likes this.
  19. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

We watch this with the kids, and it's fun for us, and nostalgic for me - never would have thought I'd be seeing a TV show where a live-action Boba Fett gets trained by Tusken Raiders. It's like watching a show about how I played with my action figures 35 years ago.

But I can see why there's disappointment. And I'm a fan of unordered lists. So here goes, and afterwards you'll laugh that I said I enjoy the show anyway. But I do. I just like to analyze also.
    • The actor playing Fett may be the right actor, Morrison, because of the clone thing, but for me he has little to no charisma or nuance, in his performance. Even just vocally, Mandalorian came over much better, while barely removing his helmet.
    • I think it would kick ass to have a slightly middle aged, female/asian actor as the show sidekick. But Ming-Na Wen has no real performance going on. It doesn't help that her backstory, from my perspective, is nil. She seems in the story only to add a touch more action, and for Fett to have someone to talk to. Who is she? What does she want? And why? Oh, never mind, she's gonna act tough and do another fight scene like we've seen a hundred times now.
    • The Mandalorian had cute "baby Yoda" as a kind of mystery and a touch of lightness to it. Balancing things out. This show has nothing like that. It wants to be all grim, but then it wants to be a kids show at the same time. Tonally, it's neither fish nor foul.
    • The Mandalorian also went to a variety of different planets and environments. I'm three episodes in here, and there's sure been a lot of sand.
    • There have been a few action scenes that seem just a bit goofy and awkward, or cliche. Morrison doesn't seem to be in great shape. The guy that kids thought was cool when he seemed to be a sleek thirty something guy in a mysteriously cool outfit, is now a stocky sixty year old guy that spends a lot of time in a kind of bathtub. The idea of what seemed to make Fett cool is on life support here, a bit. Some kids, and I guess some adults, want to get a vicarious thrill from this kind of content, even if it's unconsciously. We want to be cool like Han Solo, Indiana Jones, or even Boba Fett, with his costume and weapons. Now, nobody wants to be Boba Fett, watching this show, do they? I don't mind, but I think some of the disappointment out there is that at the very least, fans did expect to see Fett being a bad ass - the dark side of the Mandalorian. But three episodes in, he's just not. He's actually kind of nice. OK, that's cool, but we don't really know what he's doing or why. Why does he want to take over for Jabba? Is he power hungry? Is that his flaw? No, doesn't seem so. Does he want to be a kind of "gentleman pirate"? Maybe, but that doesn't seem exciting, that seems like something that would be played for laughs. At this point, he's neither really a good guy coming to fix problems, nor is he a bad guy we want to watch cause problems. Entertaining stories are all about problems and how we respond to them. The problems and responses here aren't very interesting as of yet.
    • I've got to spread that idea out to another bullet point... The show really hasn't given us any reason to care for the main character. Yeah, he's resourceful, and skilled, and he seems to have gained some sense of honor. But is that enough? If he got shot dead in the next episode, would it be a big deal, other than we'd be disappointed our new Star Wars show is over? He's got nothing he really seems to care for, and no one that cares for him. He's seems to have little humanity, but this isn't presented as any kind of problem either. He's got Ming-Na Wen as a companion, but we have no idea what their relationship is other than some mutual respect and convenience. It's nearly the worst kind of "partner" dynamic for two main characters I could imagine writing. There is literally nothing there of interest, i.e. significant contrast, clashing styles or goals.
    • Other goofy stuff, like when there was the chase and they went drove right through a canvas that two people were carrying across the street. Didn't feel like a callback to Star Wars, felt like a callback to Bugs Bunny cartoon cliches.
    • While I find their respective content interesting at times, I don't think the flashbacks (or flash forwards) improve the overall show. I get that they want to establish where he's been, what he's been through since Return of the Jedi, but they also want him doing stuff five years later. But I think the jumping back in forth in this case weakens our engagement with either story.
    • I've always understood, from a certain perspective, that a lot of fans want to see stories set in the Star Wars universe that don't necessarily have Jedi, Sith, lightsabers, space battles, space ships, robots...but that stuff, in the end, helps make Star Wars what it is. Here, we don't have any of that - just yet - and no John Williams music, etc. It really puts the onus on what we do have, to be particularly great.
    • I'm surprised to say this, considering the track record and definite talent of those involved, but I think the individual scenes themselves are often poorly written. There's little conflict, except whatever's the most obvious thing, and then everything tends to go as expected. No real surprises so far, everything in a scene is telegraphed a mile away. There was that scene where some "bikers" were giving some regular folk a hard time. Fett shows up. We figure, yeah, he's going to straighten things out and kick a little ass. But no, he does decide to help, but then something unexpected happens, and the whole situation is suddenly more complex than he believed, and he's forced to make a hard choice, and come up with a brand new plan quickly. Well, actually no, that's not what happened. Instead, he did...just straighten things out and kick a little ass. And that was that. I prefer my version. A scene like it played out might be fine for a character introduction, to show "how things are currently" and how a character behaves. But we were well into the story by then.
    • The plot hasn't found focus yet, and the story keeps changing, but not in a helpful way. Fett gets ambushed; one of the assassins says he was hired by the mayor. But then the mayor just says, wasn't me, ask at the bar. Fett asks at the bar, now apparently it's the Hutts behind everything. And yeah, then the Hutts sent a Wookiee to attack Fett. But it doesn't work, so the Hutts say sorry, here's a Rancor, it's really all the mayor's fault, we're leaving now. Then we find out the mayor is working with the Pikes. OK....was that supposed to be a mystery, or a surprise? Is the mystery over now?
    • Speaking of Pikes, did the Pikes kill the Tuskens, and now that they are back in the present time, is this meant to suggest Fett has a vendetta we can hang our hat on? The details of the plot would suggest so, even if Fett's complete lack of emotion or expression doesn't, but the way both the Tusken massacre and the Pike stuff has played out simultaneously for the viewer due to flashbacks, it robs the story of something.
    • And did they expect us to feel bad for the Tuskens? I don't think a few friendly grunts and a tribal dance or two is quite enough to erase the previous idea of the Tuskens as characters you'd pay good money to avoid going within ten miles of. Do we feel bad for Fett that he lost his tribe? I don't. He seems kind of a cold and practical person. He learned a lot from them, now he can just move on to whatever's next.
    • Oh, he's in the bathtub again...
    • It felt cool to finally see after all this time, but in retrospect, Fett's escape from the Sarlacc seems somewhat unmemorable.
    • There's been a recurring attempt for the show to connect us to Fett's various traumas. The Sarlacc ordeal. The decapitation of his father. Jango leaving him behind all the time as a child. Putting your main character through hell is a great dramatic idea. But we need to care first. And it's unclear how those traumas relate to his current situation, if they do at all.
    I'd like to add a memory I'll always have, which I enjoy. I remember seeing Return of the Jedi as a little kid in the theatre when it came out. Sure, we all thought Boba Fett had cool things about him. But when Han Solo accidentally/blindly sent Fett careening into the Sarlacc pit, the theater audience erupted into spontaneous applause. It struck me, and I'll never forget it, it was kind of awesome. But what that story has meant to me in more recent times is that nobody really likes Boba Fett. He was a bad guy who screwed with our heroes. We liked his helmet, his flamethrower, and what kid didn't love the idea of a jet pack. We liked that he was anonymous, he didn't have to say much, he didn't have to show his face. This series attempts to ignore all of that. I think the long-time fan interest in the character has given him too much weight, in the eyes of the creatives. I know, the show is still just starting. But I'm unconvinced the character should ever have been given his own show. If he was a secondary character, or better yet, the antagonist, that might have been infinitely more entertaining, and kept everything people did like about the character originally.

If I was watching this by myself as a little nostalgia diversion late at night after everyone's gone to bed, I don't think I'd be wasting any time analyzing it, I'd just be enjoying it for what it is. And I do try to do that anyway. But watching the show with my wife and kids - as we have tended to do with all the Disney+ shows - there's this palpable sense in the air during each episode so far, that something is just...amiss. I enjoy trying to understand why. Thanks for reading this far. Believe it or not, it's not my sole intention just to trash the show. There are some well-written articles discussing the show, but I wanted to spell out my thoughts in detail as a kind of response to the less nuanced headlines going on, i.e. "Disney's messed up!! Boba Fett sucks!!" etc. It deserves a little more study that can be learned from, than the negative clickbait articles allow for.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    Anthrax, aroney, Christobal and 5 others like this.
  20. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I don't have a problem with the story line so far, although it's clumsy and not been executed as well as it could be, IMO (plus the moped gang thing). It's just not what I expected.

The issue I have is that we've known Boba Fett to be a bounty hunter for 40+ years, since his first appearance in Empire. We know his father was a bounty hunter from the prequels, and upon witnessing Jango's death, know Boba followed in his footsteps.

So now that he finally has a show that can share more of this bounty hunter and his history, for the first time, we get.... not a bounty hunter. A guy who chooses to be a minor crime boss on a throwaway planet (granted one we're familiar with), in a fairly conventional story for the most part. When he's done so much more, worked for Darth Vader, etc.

Jim B., GentleSenator and omikron like this.
  21. cliff_forster

cliff_forster Crabby Dad Tech

I think you are destroying your own joy by being so analytical. Spoiler free, you know what made the new Spider Man movie freaking awesome? None of it made any rational sense. They were like, man, we know what movie this is, it's a kids fantasy, rules be damned, potential plot holes, who cares, we are just going to make it cool and fun because ultimately that's all it needs to be.

Remember when Rian Johnson attempted to make Star Wars a piece of socially self-aware art? It does not work that way. Star Wars at it's core is a silly kids fantasy, and I think Boba Fett is nailing it. Here is this dude, he got out of the Sarlac pit, why... Because he is too cool to die. They did the same thing with Darth Maul in canon, just too cool to die, George left us wanting more.

If we want to get into a little bit of a more adult angle on what the character is. A recurring theme is Star Wars is how sometimes villains are tragic figures. Vader, Ben Solo, the Clone Soldiers, Maul.... Boba Fett saw a Jedi lop his old man's head off. He was a genetically engineered fighting machine not really given much of a choice on where he would end up. Tragedy and redemption are recurring themes.

Frozensoda and ZoSoUK like this.
  22. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Frozensoda likes this.
  23. omikron

I think in Ep 4, Boba's new outlook on life has finally become clear.

It has essentially finalized the method and direction of the series.

There is a classic story element here where Boba the character "died" in the Saarlac and has been reborn as a new character in this series when he emerged.

Now it's finally time to do something.

Frozensoda and DonNylon like this.
  24. Yes. And I feel like I've done my job as a parent because my 15-year-old blurted out, "Dad, is that Thundercat?"

Lownote30 likes this.
  25. omikron

Next week, catch Questlove as a Mos Eisley used speeder salesman.

Vidiot likes this.