'Star Wars' Trilogy Debuts on DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SteveSDCA, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I think that there is a big difference between Lucas tweaking his own films, and his children tweaking his films.

2. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

When Lucas is gone I betcha the originals come out again.

3. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Lucas is a tinkerer, a perfectionist whose standards probably change daily...we all know people like this, he just happens to be the creator of Star Wars...If you asked him in 1984 if he thought the trilogy is half complete, he probably would have said no, but been thinking in the back of his mind about all the little things he thought he could do better, or that didn't come off quite how he wanted.

Saying the originals were half complete now is his way of marketing all that he's done to them since.

He will make changes to the films (all six) probably till he dies or is too old to do so. After he kicks it, the originals will be re-released.

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I disagree. The orginals aren't coming out again. Not in a few years, not in 100. What would they be called, Star Wars Triology--The First Cut? What we have on Tuesday is the definitive cuts: The Star Wars Trilogy, that's how he wants it, no Special Edition implied.

GL let us know 9 years ago that we were having the last chance to buy the originals. Plus, some of the "un-corrected" special effects would look really bad at DVD or greater resolution on todays HDTVs. He's not going to spend $$ and effort to give us something that is flawed from an effects standpoint, just to satisfy those who want the untampered-with versions.

If people don't like the changes, just vote with your dollar. That's the best you can do. You could always hunt down gray market LD->DVD dupes. I'll enjoy the pristine clarity of the new transfers just fine at my house ;)

5. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Fans and scholars will release them when the copyright expires. And in a sense they already are out, underground.

6. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Thanks. And no offense to anyone, but that's the best thing said in this thread so far. Don't like the new version? Don't buy it. The mass market and rabid collectors will buy enough of these as it stands, and even some naysayers will probably still buy out of curiosity.

I may not be crazy about some of Lucas's changes, but on the other hand, this is a chance for me to get legit copies on DVD that the kids can watch w/o having to find me to flip a disc for them. (And saves me hours putzing around on the computer transfering my LDs to DVD.) If I want to see the originals or special editions, I own two other LD versions--the CBS/Fox blue/silver widescreen discs (which I bought as enrollment selections in Columbia House's LD club), and the THX special edition box set.

7. cvila

cvila Senior Member

That's not what I got out of RickHunter's post at all.

8. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Another example that has been cited here was Spielberg tweaking ET for its rerelease (changing the guns to walkie talkies). Yes, I too, don't prefer some of his changes. However, a lot of them are to make the six movies have continuity. I love the redone CGI effects of the Jabba Han scene after Greedo is killed. That needed to be changed, as well as the Emporer being redone for TESB. By the way...I have read that the dialog in that scene was redone. Does anybody have that?

And...just asking...could it be he had Greedo shoot first to make Han less like a cold blooded killer? Has GL explained that change?

Brian

9. GregY

GregY New Member

Really? The screenshots make it look like they replaced a crappy looking Jabba with a different crappy looking Jabba. Neither look like the original in RotJ. Oh that's right, it's supposed to look like the crappy one in Episode I for purposes of, ahem, continuity.

Can't find a direct quote but, yes, that's supposedly why he made the change. However, I don't agree that it was cold-blooded. Greedo implied he was going to kill Han.

What makes you think he won't change them again? As I said, the digital Jabba still looks awful (unless the images I saw aren't actually DVD screenshots.) I'm sure there will be newer technology in a few years so he can make things even better.

Also, please remember that the films that got all the accolades/nominations were the originals, not the new versions. The 1977 version of the film is #15 on the AFI's 100 Greatest Movies of All Time list, not the 1997 or 2004 version. Kinda sad that Lucas won't even preserve those versions for those reasons alone.

10. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Well, I've got 'em on order for the 21st. I haven't seen them since I had the laser discs so it will be interesting to see all these changes everyone is talking about. Sould be fun.

11. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I also am looking forward to official dvd releases regardless of Lucas' changes.I also have these on laserdisc,but unlike Rudy I yell for the kids to flip my discs. :laugh:

12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

And he will put Jon Astley in charge of the project. :D

Evan

13. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Evan,

You had to open up that can of worms, didn't you?? Didn't you??

Actually, I have no problem with Astley's work, but there are more than a few here who are, shall I say, vehemently opposed to anything Astley works on. They'll probably blame him for Jar-Jar Binks somehow... ;)

14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

It was either opening that can or a can of whoop@$$.....

Evan :p

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Very strongly implied! Greedo points a gun at Han, and when Solo tells him he was just about to pay off Jabba, Greedo states "It's too late". Greedo does indicate that he'll accept a bribe, but since Han doesn't have the money on him, this goes nowhere. When he threatens that Jabba will take the Falcon, Han replies, "Over my dead body". Greedo says, "That's the idea. I've been looking forward to this for a long time." Then Han blasts him.

You want a cold-blooded killer? Dr. Evazan - the funky-nosed dude who threatens Luke because he doesn't like his looks - is a cold-blooded killer. Skywalker almost dies for absolutely no reason. It seems abundantly clear that Greedo planned to kill Solo and then collect his bounty - he'd get the bucks dead or alive, so this was a way for him to make money and enjoy the death of a hated foe as well.

People embraced and loved Han as a HERO for 20 years before Lucas made the change. If anyone ever finds ANY evidence that someone saw him as a bad guy or a cold-blooded killer due to the original Jabba scene, I'd love to hear it...

16. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Point taken. By the way, it was Jon Astley's fault that Greedo now shoots first.

17. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

:laugh: I want mine to remain intact. I've seen what they've done to a couple of their DVDs... ;)

18. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Colin,

I remember the original scene. I still own the original VHS widescreen of the Star Wars Trilogy. The scene of Han shooting first seemed right! My describing Han as coldblooded is not the way I felt about that character nor what I have heard other people describing him that way. In fact I have never heard that term used to describe Han in that scene or the Star Wars movies...but I was just trying to wonder if George might have felt that way.

Brian

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The unanswered question: GL claims that he wants these versions to come closer to what he always wanted to do but couldn't due to technological restrictions. Jabba scene? Okay, I'll give him that. But what technological issue kept Greedo from shooting first in 1977?

There wasn't one. There also was no outcry about a blood-thirsty Han. Maybe older GL thinks it sends the wrong message and will inspire many pre-teen kids to wantonly shoot squishy green alien bounty hunters...

20. rpd

rpd Senior Member

What's the best price that everyobe has seen and where to buy?

21. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Here's a thread on pricing for you.

I know that Gamestop is offering the Trilogy for $29.99 if you trade in 3 used DVDs.

Sean

22. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I got the Trilogy, and it was sent by Amazon yesterday. Woweee!

I still don't agree with Lucas. I'll never will, I guess. To me, it's like Pink Floyd revisiting The Dark Side of the Moon with new technology and never making available the original version again. Like Mike Oldfield releasing Tubular Bells XXVIIIXVIMCMXIII and not making the original available again... but I digress.

Just to make a point - I went to the cinema to watch Star Wars I SE, and didn't go back to watch ESB or RoTJ. I was surprised at how much Lucas spent to ruin a couple of good things.

When I watch TPM or AotC, I can't help but feel I'm watching a videogame. The miniatures on the originals seem so much more realistic to me...

Oh, well. Maybe in 2 weeks' time I'll know for sure whether the SE thing was a good thing or not.

23. GregY

GregY New Member

Saw this on the HTF:
    Guess y'all and Lucas will have to wait for that new 2005 technology to get music to come out of the proper channels. :laugh: :laugh:

24. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

No, no, that's the way George always wanted it to be. :angel:

25. fyrfytrhoges

fyrfytrhoges New Member

so much technology, so few brain cells to go around......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.