Star Wars Trilogy on DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by -=Rudy=-, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

still not a deal breaker to me but I agree that I also wish he'd just leave the original versions alone.

I'd pay for both sets...the originals and then the super duper very improved CGI version.

Money is no object when it comes to Star Wars. Lucas has me under the control of the Force! :D

2. whitenoise

whitenoise New Member

That doesn't bother me. It makes sense if you're going to screw around to make the actors consistent, and it doesn't change anything fundamental about the narrative.

What does matter: if they restore Hans-shoots-first, I'll buy it. If they don't, forget it.

3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff Thread Starter

Weren't they also going to replace the "Anakin" at the end of Episode VI (when the helmet comes off)? That one's not a huge deal breaker for me either. I do recall, though, someone mentioning the "Han shoots first" scene would be restored.

The Digital Bits also mentions that "FYE" spec of the fourth disc that I posted above isn't entirely correct--it was an early spec.

4. GregY

GregY New Member

But why? Didn't he say he originally wanted Greedo to shoot first? But they ran out of time / didn't have the right technology / {insert other excuse here} ?

So why is he going back to the original version now? Because people complained?

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

He has never given any reason other than that, in retrospect, he regretted Han shooting first, so, in retrospect, he could also change his mind again, I suppose, but I doubt it. In any case, Lucas never claimed it was due to any technical limitation. It was completely analagous to the changes Spielberg made to the agents with guns in E.T.

...and that's yet another great reason to leave well enough alone. If an artist has that many problems with work from 20-25 years ago, they should just try doing a remake rather than endlessly tinkering with the original until it looks like a remake.

Regards,

6. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

:goodie: :D :winkgrin: :goodie:

7. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Actually, it's rumored that this new DVD set will contain neither. At Digitalbits.com, they've reported that newly filmed scenes of the Emperor featuring Ian McDiarmid, who's played him since Return Of The Jedi will be inserted into The Empire Strikes Back. In the original, a different actor portrayed The Emperor.

I have also heard disconcerting rumors of other purported re-filmings such as when Darth Vader is unmasked, you will see a digitally aged Hayden Christensen instead of Sebastian Shaw, who originally played the elderly Anakin as well as a completely redone CGI Jabba in the first movie A New Hope.

Like I said, these are just rumors, but I wouldn't put anything past Lucas. :shake:

8. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member

If further revisions/enhancements are indeed going to be evident on the new discs, I'll be happy if they re-score portions of 'A New Hope' to include 'The Imperial March.' For continuity, and bridging the 6 films into a cohesive whole, you 'have' to have The Imperial March in episode 4. Just my opinion. ;)

9. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member

Actually, I think I'm looking more forward to the bonus 4th disc of this set. It is supposed to feature an entirely new 2 hour documentary on the making of all six movies. If this is only 'half' as entertaining as the hour long documentary called 'The Beginning' on the Phantom Menace DVD, it will be money well spent.

10. Mr. Winston

Mr. Winston New Member

I read somewhere that the Emperor in ESB was an older woman actress fitted with makeup and later had her eyes matted over with those from a monkey or baboon. Clive Revill then overdubbed her lines later.

11. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

My 2 cents:

I've been waiting for these to come out on DVD for quite some time; I can handle little digital effects tweaks, additions and the like as long as they don't alter the character's behaviors, but I definitely draw the line at actors being altered or removed; if I find out this has been done not only will I not buy this set, but I'll do my darndest to dissuade others from buying it as well, for all the good THAT will do.

My respect for George Lucas has declined quite a bit over the years as has the quality of his recent productions, but AFAIC the last straw is interfering with the performers craft and destroying the legacy of their contributions; that's tantamount to criminal behavior. The TRUE success of Star Wars was built upon the work of his actors, whether they were his featured actors in futuristic costume or heavily disguised in character make-up. Apparently Mr. Lucas has reached a point in his life where he cares more about film as product than as art and nothing about the people who contributed to the greatness of his original series.

Cat

12. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

IMHO, Lucas should just replace Luke with a digital version that looks a bit more like Anakin, and he should try to replace Lea with a hotter version. Han Solo shouldn't be so sexist, Chewbacca shouldn't be so hairy and should appeal more to the kids (perhaps by digitally altering his hair and tidyness). The Emperor, of course, should be replaced by Ian McWhatever, and James Earl Jones' voice should be replaced by a digitally altered Anakin whine. Also, the Death Star should have more colors and digital thingies, plus maybe he could add more stars to the whole thing, and maybe change the music a bit, and perhaps do some cartoons around it, and maybe....

Hey, wait... I bet he's already thinking of doing that. :rant: :mad:

EDIT: Seriously, I was thinking about this yesterday. I think Lucas' Star Wars is as personal as someone's home. I remember my next door neighbour as having a quite beautiful one, and then he decided to add some stuff, paint it some other color, fix it... I seriously think he botched up his property, and I'm a bit sad he did (it was really great). But, then again, it's *hïs* home, and he has every right to do whatever he wants to it.

I have every right to like or dislike what he has done, though...

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Hotter??? It doesn't get much hotter than Carrie Fisher in the metal bikini!

14. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Well, I can't quite agree with your analogy; here's why: If the "neighbor" made his home into a public eye sore, potentially bringing down property values for everyone in the neighborhood, then the aesthetic appreciation of everyone else's property would also be in jeopardy. If you had grown up with fond memories of the pristine neighborhood before your neighbor altered his property, then you might even feel that your memories had been defiled. Taking this one step further, if the neighbor's property was deemed a historic landmark, then his choice to deface it for whatever reason would be viewed as more than just a personal trevestry. That's why city ordinances are in place to establish limits on what an individual can do with their home; if what the owner deems an "improvement" falls outside of code or reflects badly on the neighborhood, then injunctions can be filed to prohibit inappropriate or offensive alterations.

Regardless of the business realities (i.e., art vs. product), I view film as a shared creation, belonging to both the artist(s) and the masses. The artist has full right to profit from his work or withhold it, but by presenting it in an altered form from it's original, he has in fact created "new" art, ...or not!

:cheers:
    Cat

15. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I think I will be passing on this set although I admit it will be difficult once I see it on the shelf. I am in the process of burning my Laserdisc set of the original theatrical releases onto DVD and if they come out satisfactorly I think that will do it for me. I did not care for the special editions when they came out, and I can't stand the idea that he is going to play with them even more. I totally agree he has the right to do anything to his movies that he wants, but I also have a right to keep my money in my pocket. I think he waited too long to release these, and the last two films have taken a lot of the luster off of the series.
    I see it a lot like the Beatles catalog. I waited for a while, and after it became obvious they were not going to do anything with it, I took matters into my own hand. I filled out my Beatles collection with great sounding vinyl and bootleg discs and now I am very indifferent towards any reissue program. Same with these films.

16. Ian

Ian Active Member

Looks like Lucas is giving THX 1138 the "treatment" too... If it isn't broke :realmad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.