‘Star Wars VII’ Will Have Major Change to Opening: No Fox Fanfare

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Nov 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Even if it's Disney, I feel like they should license it - not only an Alfred Newman classic piece of timeless anticipation of the picture to come, but it was the only-non Williams piece included on the deluxe Star Wars soundtrack released a few years back. That's how important that piece of music is to the Star Wars experience.

Jeff

Claudio Dirani likes this.
  2. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Maybe they'll superimpose a Death Star in the background or something...

larryk likes this.
  3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

How about a Tie Fighter making a straffing run on the castle? That would be awesome!

ZAck Scott and larryk like this.
  4. agentalbert

I just realized you guys weren't even talking about the Star Wars music, but the studio logo BEFORE the big yellow STAR WARS letters and actual Star Wars music. This matters why? Who cares about the studio logo? All we need is yet another one tacked on to the movie. These days it seems every movie has 3-4 studio/production company logos that have to play before a movie, all with their own little presentation. It's annoying as heck. Just start the dang movie.

Walt, blind_melon1, El Bacho and 3 others like this.
  5. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I'm perplexed on this as well.

6. nbakid2000

anthontherun, Rocker, larryk and 2 others like this.
  7. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

I care. It's an important part of series like this. It ties the film to the originals. When they are allowed, the filmmakers not only embrace the history, but often incorporate their own sly versions into the film (like the Indiana Jones movies - the Paramount logo is part of the film even before it really starts. Imprinted on a huge gong in the sequel for example).

No value to the MGM lion head roar? The Marx Bros. played with that one by roaring in the place of the lion - all audible except, of course, for Harpo.

There is a tremendous value in the representation of the studios attaching to a series. There's a mental sigh of comfort for parents when a film starts and they see the Disney castle intro with the unforgettable "When You Wish Upon a Star" abbreviation. A major reason why Dreamworks Animation failed is not because Katzenberg didn't hire the best animators away from Disney or put tons of money into the few films and hired top tier vocal talent - it's because he couldn't take the one thing that was most valuable: The well-earned and trusted Disney name and intro.

To me, the only thing that truly attached the atrocious 4th Indiana Jones movie to the classic 3 was the score.

Want Star Wars to feel part of the series and authentic? Use that Fox Fanfare - they can afford it.

Jeff

Rocker likes this.
  8. agentalbert

I get why you might find comfort in it, but it's completely inconsequential to how good the movie is. Whether the movie is any good or not will depend on the script, acting, directing, effects, etc. Whether or not they use a familiar studio logo and fanfare BEFORE the movie actually starts won't make a lick of difference if the actual movie is a disappointment. Episode 1-3 had the logo and fanfare. And what good was that?

9. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

They should focus on making the movies actually good rather than on small things like these. The prequel trilogy all had the fanfares and they weren't good films (except for 3, which was alright).

ribors, e.s. and agentalbert like this.
  10. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

The film is over two years away and already people are griping about it.

anthontherun and Deuce66 like this.
  11. nbakid2000

It's not Fox though. Fox is their competitor. Why would they give acknowledgment to their competitor? There's nothing in it for them. If it were a team-up of studios or something, that would be different. But it's not. They're actively saying - "this is a new generation." (which it is)

anthontherun and SonOfAlerik like this.
  12. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Like probably most people who were kids in 1977 I associate the Fox music with Star Wars. But... it's not part of the movie! It was in every other 20th Century Fox movie!

anthontherun and wolfram like this.
  13. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Will future releases of the Indiana Jones movies still feature the Paramount mountain logo, which the opening shot of each film visually evokes?

14. mknappe

mknappe Well-Known Member

Change is ok.

15. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

When things like this are a source for complaints, you just know the film doesn't stand a chance.

anthontherun likes this.
  16. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

As much as I do associate that fanfare with Star Wars, I'm OK with them ditching it, and it makes perfect sense to not include it.

What they SHOULD and CAN do is revert the Lucasfilm Ltd. logo back to it's original, simple design. The fancy new design is ugly and I associate it with bad things.

And the new films damn well better have "A long time ago..." in the usual blue font!

[​IMG]

17. The Scarecrow

The Scarecrow Well-Known Member

I'm going to miss the fanfare. To me it is such an iconic part of the film. I understand why they don't have it though.

18. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

From the STAR WARS TRILOGY soundtrack CD set on RCA Victor:
    DSC_0751.jpg
    DSC_0753.jpg
    (Notes by Michael Matessino)

One caveat: I believe the Fox Fanfare was recorded in 3-track stereo in 1953, not 1954.

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It's not about money - it's about the fact that Fox is an entirely different studio! If you wrote a book, would you attach someone else's name to it just because some people would "take comfort" in that? :confused:

And this isn't like Disney potentially removing the Fox logo from the start of Episodes I through VI - I would disagree with that. But damn, Disney spent a lot of money to buy these properties - I kinda think they deserve to put their own logo at the start and not make it look like a different studio financed the films! :help:

20. Derek Blakley

Derek Blakley Forum Resident

"Mountain out of a Molehill" comes to mind here.

Fox fanfare didn't help episodes 1-3 at all, and it won't help episodes 7-9 if it turns out to similarly suck.

On the other hand, if the movie comes out and is great, this topic will be completely forgotten about.

Standoffish likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think you underestimate the wrath of the diehard "Star Wars" fans! Even if the new movies are great, I expect "Disney raped my childhood" posts because the Fox logo doesn't appear! :D

Derek Blakley likes this.
  22. Squealy

Ok, I guess it wasn't *every* movie...

23. Squealy

No one is talking about taking logos out of old movies.

But if Warner Brothers made a new Indiana Jones movie, then no, I would not expect the movie to open with the Paramount mountain.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  24. nbakid2000

I look forward to seeing the Disney logo in front of this. It's a new generation, a new studio, a new beginning.

petem1966 likes this.
  25. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.