Static Only With Phone When Using 3.5mm Extention Cable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by r757chandler, May 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r757chandler

r757chandler New Member Thread Starter

I bought an (admittedly kinda cheap) 50ft 3.5mm male to female extension cable. When I got it I tested it out using my Samsung Galaxy S9 and there was a bunch of static whenever audio was playing. I assumed I just bought a junk cable and was ready to return it but first decided to try it with my Pioneer VSX-824, which is really want I'm planning on using it with anyway. It sounded completely fine. I tried with my PC and it was also fine.

So I experimented with my phone a little more and discovered that it is somewhat volume dependent. It tends not to happen at very low volumes. It doesn't seem to be a poorly fitting connector since jiggling it or just generally trying to move it around has no effect.

What could it be? I know the impedance and capacitance of a cable can matter but I don't know what the symptoms would be. Can these be reliably measured with a multimeter? I tried this with Sennheiser HD 6xx's (supposed be the same as the 650's) and a cheaper set of Sennheiser HDs (I forget the model) and the symptoms were similar.

I realize I could probably just get a better or shorter cable but really I'm just curious why this would be device specific. Let me know what you think, thanks.

2. r757chandler

This thread just got approved by the moderators so I'm bumping it back up. I hope that's fine.

3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Cable might be too long? Your phone signal isnt particularly strong.

4. r757chandler

So is it could be as simple as a weak amp? Would that suggest the impedance is too high?

5. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

No idea, but unless the cable is faulty I dont think you should have issues like this, no matter how cheap it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.