Static with new cartridge

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LitHum05, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura Thread Starter

Yes, after every side. I’m thinking maybe the needle on this particular cart is susceptible to more dirt. That’s why it causes more static accumulation. I don’t know.

2. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I had a needle that did the same thing, especially on new records. At one point I realized there was just like a dust clump attached to it that wasn't coming off and was attracting more. Once I really got it clean the distortion stopped but this had to be repeated sometimes. Mine wasn't constant static but distortion in transients. maybe a dehumidifier would be good? I think someone said that above...

3. Trabik

Trabik Forum Resident

I think that a process of elimination is best here for sure, but it may be worth your time to order a bottle of AT607 stylus cleaning formula. I’ve been using this for a while now and find that my stylus stays cleaner.

Also, I looked your 'table up in the vinyl engine DB and downloaded the manual. You can adjust VTA with the specs stating a range of 42 - 47 mm. Since you are enjoying the DL-110, why not lose the deerhide mat, adjust VTA and deal with a high level of static removal while you wait for (hopefully) @GentleSenator to reply on the other thread about this issue. Might just be worth the hassle...

4. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Not sure how adding a cleaner to the mix helps the process of elimination. That's another X factor. Also while vta can maximize the sound I don't think there's any vta that causes static or distortion.

5. Trabik

Trabik Forum Resident

I see that @GentleSenator replied in the other thread when I was making my last post. Sadly, he found no solution. What is interesting is that in the manual for the DP-1100, they have a Denon DL-103 in all of the illustrations. It is very curious that a LOMC cart would pair well with the 'table, but a HOMC cart would give this issue. I say that it would pair well as it looks like the motor assembly on the DP-1100 is pretty much the same exact motor assembly as my DP-1200, where I use a DL-103R.

I agree that adding a cleaner doesn't eliminate anything, but we know that the static was reduced with the removal of the deerhide mat, so I was thinking it would maybe help @LitHum05 enjoy the DL-110 if he removed the mat, adjusted correctly for VTA and went thought a static removal process on every play while he tries to figure the issue out. It's a bummer that he's going to have to part with a cart that he feels like he would enjoy.

@LitHum05 - sorry that I couldn't be of more assistance.

LitHum05 and Mugrug12 like this.
  6. LitHum05

Thank. I appreciate all the help. I’ve been switching back and forth all day. The Denon cart is so refined compared to the AT. I can’t quit on it just yet.

Trabik likes this.
  7. LitHum05

I’m using your misting approach right now. Have you tried a humidifier? I’ve ordered one to try out.

8. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

No humidifier here, I don't live in a dry environment, at least most of the time, but to effectively remove dust from a vinyl record with a brush, I think there has to be some moisture involved, in my experience. A little spritz on my carbon fibre brush, and then a couple passes with my nylon brush over the surface to distribute the moisture more evenly across the brush before wiping the record has always worked for me. The key point is that you are not wetting the record surface, if so then you are using too much water, you are just trying to provide a discharge path for the existing static cahrges, and not introduce more..

Having seen what can happen to gear in a humid environment, I'd be a little reluctant to keep a humidifier near my equipment, but should be fine if just used to raise the humidity to more normal levels. Not sure if it would be enough on its own to avoid introducing static charges with the record brush, but worth a try.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    LitHum05 likes this.
  9. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

it is pretty odd, some difference in grounding here? static can/does discharge to ground. possibly this was getting through the first cart somehow but not the new one. maybe try grounding the plinth somehow. also try to fully discharge the static on the mat.

LitHum05 likes this.
  10. LitHum05

Thanks. I never knew how much trouble I'd come into by upgrading...

11. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Prior to doing that, you could have simply bought a device that measures humidity to see if you need to increase it. They typically cost about $10. In my opinion, it would be easier than returning a huge item like a humidifier.

Leonthepro likes this.
  12. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Holding your record in one hand and brushing creates a more effective ground. Brushing on a spinning platter just removes dust, not static.

Also what have you seen happening to equipment in humid environments?

13. LitHum05

But if it's not humidity, what else is causing static? I've been told time and again that it is not the cartridge.

14. Leonthepro

When I first upgraded my cartridge I had lots of static discharge as well. It seemed to have just been built up over the day when I tried to install everything and tested so 24 hours later it was all back to normal.
    Doesnt seem like this is that type of problem however.

If you can accurately show that changing just the cartridge introduces static then it has to be it in some way.

LitHum05 likes this.
  15. LitHum05

Yes, I switched back and forth twice and it's definitely the introduction of the new cartridge.

16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It still doesn't change the fact that it's easier to buy a small $10 module to verify that humidity is problematic before buying a heavy cumbersome humidifier. If your humidity levels are fine, you saved yourself the trouble of buying/returning the humidifier.

As for what could be causing the problem, that's open to speculation.

Leonthepro likes this.
  17. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

sorry if i missed any of this along the way, but....
    Do you wet- clean your records at all?
    And if so do you use any kind of micro fiber cloth to dry them?
    Is your turntable grounded?
    Prior to dropping the needle, do you use a brush on the album at all to get some dust off?

I use this brush before playing records and hold it on the outside of the record and work its way in until i touch the platter spindle (i do that to discharge any static)
    Carbon fiber record brush

I also use this mat and find it's pretty good at not accumulating static.
    Nostatic turntable mat

An interesting story on topic. I sold a customer a Ortofon OM Shibata tip stylus and he claimed it kept creating a very audible popping sound. I worked through some fixes with him to set it up properly and eliminate any static (as i believe it was static). He even took it to a turntable clinic at a store and they set it up for him, and he said it did eliminate some of the popping sound but it eventually came back a few days later. He was using a ortofon concorde om10 prior and said no static or popping sound

I told him to just send it back to me. I tried it on my turntable (which coincidentally was the exact same TT he had).....and zero popping, static, or otherwise, just beautiful music.
    Couldn't figure out his main static issue either.

LitHum05 likes this.
  18. Leonthepro

@Strat-Mangler helped me with static in the winter too. I suggest his advice. Besides, its pretty fun to check your humidity stats change from day to day. But if it never goes below 35% Id say youre fine.

19. Leonthepro

Have you ever tried brushing a record in hand vs on the platter?

Maybe your customer had dirty records? I hear Shibatas are especially sensitive to that. Or its like in this thread perhaps.

20. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

Can't say that I have. Why, is it better for some reason?
    (ps. i have zero static issues)

Leonthepro likes this.
  21. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

Kyle Mooney likes this.
  22. Leonthepro

Yes, it creates a much better grounding path than on a platter.

Tom from SleeveCity suggests to use his products this way as well as VC members like Ian from HiViNyws Channel.

Anti-Static Brushes: Do They Actually Reduce Static?
    By Audiorpheus also shows in the primitive testing that no static seems to be reduced. But I believe thats just because the threshold of how much the brush can do on a platter was reached already. A record with a massive static charge will of course be less static after any form of brush use, but so can your finger do. On the contrary a static free record I theorize would recieve a static charge from any sort of brush use.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Jelloalien likes this.
  23. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

I worked through that as a possibility too, but he said they were either new, or cleaned, or both. (obviously i have to take his word on that)

Leonthepro likes this.
  24. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

Thanks for the video, i'll check it out tonight (as sadly i cannot access youtube at work)

Leonthepro likes this.
  25. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Humid environments can result in corrosion on gear, especially if you add in a little salt, but even without the salt it can be a problem in some of the cases that I have seen through buying used gear.

The moisture on the brush provides an interface to help the record dissipate the static, just as would more humidity in the air, at least in the USA, maybe physics is different in Sweden? I've been using that method for over 30 years, and it's still working for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.