Static with new cartridge

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LitHum05, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I would refer you to my last post.
    Thats without involving water however.

The good thing, or bad rather, about Sweden is the extremely dry environment, especially on winter times. It makes different static fighting solutions easier to test for.

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Out of curiosity, is that issue occurring on LPs which were just liquid-washed?

3. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura Thread Starter

Not necessarily.

4. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Got my thinking cap on. Band aids do not eliminate the cause.

5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Is it always the same LPs which are susceptible to static or is it entirely random? As in, a specific LP will show static one time but won't on another day.

6. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Records are usually charged negative. The only way to induce a discharge is to have a positive charge near enough to arc across a gap. I think the problem may be that the Denon does not share the chassis ground (to the arm) Also, the Denon is moving coil vs the AT which is moving magnet. The moving coil has the coils attached directly to the cantilever, where the negative charge of the record places a high DC voltage potential on the coils, and thus directly to the interconnect cable to the phono preamp.

Arcing can occur at the stylus or perhaps across a small gap inside the cartridge (can hear this with the volume on zero) or internally in the phono preamp (not good)

Maybe the solution to this problem would be to bond the chassis ground to the Lch cartridge ground. Grounding the cartridge on one or both ground pins would make the grounded part of the coil the same DC potential energy as the record... should stop the discharge.

Cleaning a record on an RCM discharges static, and then storage in an anti-static sleeve. This is is a sensible approach, but still some records tend to develop a static charge as they play. Carbon fiber brushes are not effective at all.. in fact the pre-play clean (friction) on the spinning turntable creates a static charge or increases it. It's far better to place a clean record on the platter, removed from a clean audiophile sleeve.. and simply play the record. (a clean record does not require the carbon fiber brush) The cleaning ritual only makes us feel the record is cleaner, when in fact it's not much cleaner (even though it may appear cleaner).. most of the dust gets pulverized into smaller bits and driven deeper in the groove. It's a bad habit.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    tiller likes this.
  7. LitHum05

I’m more than a bit embarrassed to report how I finally solved this issue. The screws on the head shell only appeared to be tight (when done by hand). But a proper screw driver made them snug. This eliminated what was basically a poor grounding issue. All’s well that ends well. But still, what a dope I was to lose sleep over this for weeks. The cartridge even sounds better now that it’s tighened. Tighter bass, etc. :rolleyes:

8. LitHum05

The static is back, friends. Somebody please kill me :shrug:. The head shell and cartridge are on super tight. I did remove the additional mat I was using, thus changing the vta. Is it possible that vta can help generate static?

9. LitHum05

Yup. And looked at it with a microscope. Looks fine.

10. Leonthepro

how humid is your room?

11. LitHum05

I’m in DC. I don’t think it’s terribly dry. I’ve been living here for years. If I put my crappy old cartridge back on the turntable, the static disappears. But the DL-110 is too good a cartridge and I prefer to live with the static (only it still sucks).

12. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Make an iPhone recording of it!

Could it be your records? And your previous needle wasn't as sensitive to damage?

13. Leonthepro

Have you given it 24 hours to decharge any potential build up from installation?

LitHum05 likes this.
  14. mitchius

mitchius Forum Resident

I have the same issue with a deerskin mat. Same in both humid and non humid months. It doesn’t seem to matter what thickness the vinyl is. It appears to me that it’s the quality of the vinyl. Mofi records never stick whether they’re the old thin ones or the new thicker ones. I can usually tell which ones it will stick to. I clean every side with an anti static brush and the stylus too. I got back into vinyl in December after taking a few three decades off. It sure wasn’t this complicated in 72. What happened?!

LitHum05 likes this.
  15. Trabik

Trabik Forum Resident

Sorry to hear that this issue has returned.

I recently move rooms and was having some issues with static and I was also losing the right channel intermittently. I solved the issue by changing my grounding scheme (I added an additional wire).

The interesting thing was that these issues we more prominent on 180g records. Maybe a grounding issue is part of the problem here?

16. LitHum05

I'll try. I've never heard of this.

17. LitHum05

Yes, I gave up on my deerskin mat because it kept sticking (beautiful mat, though). I'm using the rubber stock mat and it is heavy.

Morbius likes this.
  18. Leonthepro

Swhat happened to my Nag when first installing. Tried it again the day after and it was all gone to my surprise.

19. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Have you noticed that the records that collect the most dust come from Pallas, Optimal, MPO and Record Industry? I believe the Europeans use a completely different vinyl formula from us Americans and anything pressed at RTI is generally freer of dust and static electricity. I think most American vinyl is sourced from Taiwan though it could be another Asian island nation.

mitchius likes this.
  20. mitchius

mitchius Forum Resident

I also think it’s caused by a cheaper grade of vinyl. I’m going to see if I can narrow it down by manufacturer. For instance I played two consecutive albums by a company “Four men with beards”. It was just a coincidence but neither one stuck even a little bit.

21. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

My platter is glass, so I stopped using any mat and have zero static issues now.

22. Leonthepro

I have not noticed anything like this at all, then again I dont have a dusty room.

23. LitHum05

Really? I've never heard of this. But yeah, it must come from somewhere.

Leonthepro likes this.
  24. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Yes, there's a video on YouTube with Michael Fremer, Chad Kassem from Acoustic Sounds and some of the guys from RTI go over there and tour the factory. Interesting to watch. Loo k up Analog Planet Visits Vinyl Pellet Manufacturer TPC on YouTube. Id give you a link but I haven't figured out how to do it yet.

LitHum05 likes this.
  25. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Excuse me it was Thailand. Not an Island nation at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.