Status Quo album-by-album thread (50 Years of Quo)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JulesRules, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Immediate reaction is the first set-list, starting off with Whatever You Want. I can't imagine that, doesn't to me seem like a song to start a set. Its a very slow build up. Interesting choice, did they start with that often? Don't believe they have on any of the tours i've seen over past 25 years.

JulesRules likes this.
  2. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug Thread Starter

It seems to have been the standard opener for all the gigs of the reformed band (post Live Aid), i.e. 1986-1988. I guess they wanted to distance themselves from the previous incarnation but finally came to the same conclusion as you. After that, it was only used on very special occasions with shortened sets such as the Party in the Park (on Live Alive Quo) or the Night of the Proms.

Almost Simon likes this.
  3. JulesRules

Not forgetting this thread, but it's a bit late for me to post the double live albums now. I promise I'll do it soon...

Almost Simon likes this.
  4. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

Good old HMV announce there in trouble but at the same time reduce the recent In the Army Now and Ain't Complaining CD's to £7.99 and £8.99 respectively. Obviously I had to get them. I'm not going to review the original albums as they were covered elsewhere on here, but a few comments on the extra's

In the Army Now

Disc: 2
    1. In the Army Now (Remix) - I couldn't remember if I had heard this before or not, but there are lots of little extra bits here and there. Really like it
    2. Lonely - Excellent
    3. Keep Me Guessing - Excellent
    4. Don't Give It Up - Sounds very much of it's day now. Ok but dated
    5. Heartburn - Again a bit dated but I think it has aged better than Don't Give It Up
    6. Late Last Night - hundred miles an hour Rick this one. Pretty good.
    7. Long Legged Girls I love and hate this in equal measure. It's got a nice chug a long feel to it, but really crass lyrics
    8. Naughty Girl (Single Edit) - Not bad at all
    9. Rock 'N' Roll Floorboards - I've never heard this before. Pretty good
    10. Naughty Girl (Extended Version) as above
    11. Dreamin' (Wet Mix) - Pretty good
    12. In the Army Now (Military Mix) - Yup that will do for me
    13. The Cake Mix - a bit pointless
    14. Overdose - live
    15. Dreamin' - live
    16. Blues Jam - live
    17. La Grange/Rain - live the last 4 tracks are live and the production is not that great, but good to be reminded that they did these on stage.

Ain't Complaining

Disc: 2
    1. That's Alright - poppy and not so great
    2. Lean Machine - excellent
    3. Halloween - Excellent
    4. The Reason for Goodbye - Excellent
    5. The Greatest Fighter - after a few listens this one got me, especially the chorus
    6. Running All Over the World - Change one word and release for charity. it is what it is
    7. Ain't No Complaining (Extended) - I love the song but this doesn't add or detract from it
    8. Who Gets the Love (Extended) - I do like this extended version.
    9. Rockin' All Over the World (1988 Re-recording) pointless
    10. Burning Bridges (Extended) - same as for Ain't Complaining extended version
    11. Running All Over the World (Extended) pointless
    12. The Fighter (Stand Up and Fight Remix) ok
    13. The Fighter (Army Remix) ok

Haven't listened to this yet

Disc: 3
    1. Whatever You Want (Live at Wembley, 07/07/1988)
    2. Little Lady (Live at Wembley, 07/07/1988)
    3. Roll Over Lay Down (Live at Wembley, 07/07/1988)
    4. Cream of the Crop (Live at Wembley, 07/07/1988)
    5. Who Gets the Love (Live at Wembley, 07/07/1988)
    6. Hold You Back (Live at Wembley, 07/07/1988)
    7. Don't Drive My Car (Live at Wembley, 07/07/1988)
    8. Dirty Water (Live at Wembley, 07/07/1988)
    9. In the Army Now (Live at Wembley, 07/07/1988)
    10. Rockin' All Over the World (Live at Wembley, 07/07/1988)
    11. Don't Waste My Time (Live at Wembley, 07/07/1988)
    12. Bye Bye Johnny (Live at Wembley, 07/07/1988)

JulesRules likes this.
  5. JulesRules

I did think about whether one should be left off as they're the same backing track, but one was a single and therefore should be here, the other is a rarity only having been released on a US LP!

6. Almost Simon

Did you have involvement with this reissue, Jules?

7. JulesRules

Yeah... I don't want to brag about it too much, but I made some suggestions.

Almost Simon likes this.
  8. Almost Simon

This is very much the forum to discuss it, brag too, that is fair enough. Any other reissues on the horizon you might be aware of??

JulesRules and KAJ1971 like this.
  9. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

Not sure why but I am hooked on the Greatest Fighter since I reviewed it above. The chorus is so damn catchy.

Go on Jules brag a bit.
    I used to have the US album but on cassette. Think it might be hiding in my mother's attic back in Scotland.
    My pointless was probably a bit harsh, but Rockin All Over the World is the one Quo track (while an anthem) is sometimes just a bit too over familiar.

JulesRules and Almost Simon like this.
  10. JulesRules

Agree - that song certainly deserved more than being an outtake!

Well, I supplied Steve Hammonds with my virtual tracklists, based on what I knew existed. They got trimmed down a bit and shuffled around (and some things escaped me until it was too late), but yes... I'm not sure if these reissues would have happened without my insistence. I have to thank "Quoincidence" from the Quo boards too though, as he helped to track down some of the bonus stuff and is now doing a much better job at working towards the label for the releases to come.

The current status (a-hem) is that all the albums that Universal/Mercury has the rights to will be reissued in the format. Basically there are four entries left: Perfect Remedy, Rock 'Til You Drop, Live Alive Quo & Thirsty Work. The studio albums are being worked on, the live album hasn't been discussed yet.

The other, later albums might get some form of reissue too, but probably (sadly) not in the deluxe format.

I also tried to get BMG off their bums and to make them deliver the final, definitive reissues of the first 4 albums. But they seem more interested in doing cheap compilations!

Turk Thrust and Almost Simon like this.
  11. JulesRules

Please remind me, soon, that I have two Quo albums to post...

12. Almost Simon

Go for it:cool:

JulesRules likes this.
  13. JulesRules

Thanks.

2018: Down Down Live Series
    [​IMG]

Down Down & Dignified at the Royal Albert Hall [CD; * 2 LP]

1. And It's Better Now 4:09
    2. Break The Rules 3:09
    3. Again And Again 3:25
    4. Paper Plane 3:47
    5. Rock ‘N’ Roll 3:06
    6. Caroline 3:16
    7. What You’re Proposing [* vinyl only]
    [Lies]
    8. Hold You Back 4:19
    9. That's A Fact 3:50
    10. Down Down 2:42
    11. Pictures Of Matchstick Men 3:18
    12. Down the Dustpipe [* vinyl only]
    13. All the Reasons [* vinyl only]
    14. Rollin' Home 4:12
    15. Band Introductions 1:46
    16. Don't Drive My Car 3:20
    17. Reason For Living 3:20
    18. Claudie 4:01
    19. Rain 4:18
    20. Marguerita Time 3:23
    21. Na Na Na 2:57
    22. Whatever You Want 3:20
    23. Rockin' All Over The World 3:32
    24. Burning Bridges 4:22

Aquostic Band (according to the credits!):
    Geraint Watkins – Piano & Accordion
    Chloe Gardner (?) – Vocals, Guitar & Percussions
    Hannah Acar (?!) – Violin, Vocals & Percussion
    Ralf Oehmichen – Guitars & Vocals
    Paul Hirsh – Keyboards

While Quo had made several strange twists & turns in the recent period, this move isn’t too surprising. Demand had clearly been there for more “electric” shows and so the 2017 winter tour was changed from Aquostic to Electric (no doubt also improving the turnout, given that the acoustic shows cost more because of additional players), dubbed “Plugged In – Live & Rockin’”. The rest of the European tour dates were supposed to remain acoustic, but almost all of them were cancelled because Francis had fallen ill. All talk of a 3rd Aquostic album had ceased and so this live recording, rather than continuing the trend, probably marks the end of the entire project. It’s telling that the “Aquostic” name is not even used on the cover (however when you insert the CD in your computer, the CD text actually reads out “Aquostic Live at The Royal Albert Hall”!).

But although I can see why this was released, there are several question marks surrounding the CD. Why is there no DVD? Even if this one was not filmed, there would have been the earlier recording from the Royal Albert Hall in 2015 (still with Rick), which was filmed.

Why is the recording shortened? The CD is only 71 minutes long, 8 minutes short of a full redbook CD. Obviously the concert was a tad bit too long for a single CD, but even the double LP doesn’t include the entire gig. The song that’s missing on all formats is the brilliant “Lies”, which Quo have never performed live before. Is this because it was only a bonus track on Aquostic II? That, to me, only shows how messed up that album’s tracklisting was. Having said that, it speaks volumes about Quo that although they had recorded an entire 2nd acoustic album, only three of the songs were actually integrated into the setlist. You read that right; the rest had all been on the Roundhouse recording before. The main difference is that this performance features a scaled-down band with far less violins, plus the Rick-shaped hole in the vocal sound barely filled out by Rhino and Andy. The one song that was done as a real tribute to Rick – “All the Reasons” – was omitted from the CD. Obviously. :/

Who are the additional players? The printed line-up doesn’t match Francis’ announcements.

So what about the album itself, then? It is different enough from Aquostic! Live at the Roundhouse to be seen as its own entity, but it’s not always better. Rick's vocal parts are taken over by Andy and Rhino and frankly, they mostly don't do the songs justice. Rhino's voice does sound acceptable to me on "Rain", which has more of a blues sound in its Aquostic arrangement anyway.

Unlike the studio albums and the Roundhouse gig, this recording does come somewhat closer to the "stripped bare" description that was part of the first project's title. Although they couldn't drop the two female backing vocalists, accordionist and additional guitarist (a chap named Ralf Oehmichen, whom I've never heard of before), the string section is gone - all that's left is Hannah Rickard's occasional violin playing. This is a drastic change from previous Aquostic gigs. No doubt it was done to reduce touring costs, but I actually like this change because it frees the band to play more loosely without a conductor. At its best moments, this gig therefore achieves an intimacy and down-low feel the earlier Aquostic projects had only briefly touched on. At other times though, it does sound a bit weak and boring. It certainly would have been beneficial if the band had changed the setlist around a bit more, because it would have given some other songs (such as the newly written ones + “Belavista Man” or “Mess of the Blues”) the limelight they deserve and would have made this look less like the inferior sibling of "Aquostic! Live at the Roundhouse". And speaking of missed chances, I kinda wish this had been the approach all along, and especially that such a recording had been made while Rick was still in the band.

Almost Simon likes this.
  14. Almost Simon

And there was me complaining Iron Maiden have released too many live albums.

I haven’t heard this one but will give a listen in YouTube.

Did I see Francis has his autobiography out soon? Will be very interesting to read.

JulesRules likes this.
  15. JulesRules

Yes, coinciding with his solo (?) album. And a "talking" tour where he will also answer questions. Check out the official website for the dates.

Almost Simon likes this.
  16. Almost Simon

I believe @Johns44 is going to one of those dates. I'll grab a copy of the book, or audiobook if Rossi is voicing it.

JulesRules likes this.
  17. JulesRules

Down Down & Dirty at Wacken [CD; CD + DVD; CD + BD; 2 LP]

[​IMG]

1. Caroline
    2. Something 'Bout You Baby I Like
    3. Rain
    4. Softer Ride
    5. Beginning Of The End
    6. Hold You Back
    7. Proposin’ Medley:
    a. What You're Proposing
    b. Down The Dustpipe
    c. Wild Side Of Life
    d. Railroad
    e. Again & Again
    8. Paper Plane
    9. In The Army Now
    10. Roll Over Lay Down
    11. Down Down
    12. Whatever You Want
    13. Rockin' All Over The World
    14. Rock And Roll Music/Bye Bye Johnny

The other part of the “Down Down” double campaign is this release, recorded at the famous German heavy metal festival in Wacken, generally known as the W:O:A (Wacken Open Air). Unlike the “Dignified” release, the “Dirty” one actually features a complete concert film and is available as DVD or Blu-Ray Disc. The “eclipsed” magazine has actually declared it “DVD of the month”, stating that Quo are starting to sound more exciting and more like a hard rock band again (as opposed to the last few years with Rick) and praising Francis’ performance in particular. Although this should all sound very enticing, I couldn’t help but sigh at the thought of yet another DVD featuring the exact same songs as the previous one (the only difference being the shortened festival set).

I haven’t watched the DVD yet but listened to the CD. As so often, there are positive and negative aspects. This line-up is certainly coming together and sounding better than it did on “Last Night of the Electrics”. The vocal situation isn’t entirely satisfactory, but you can hear that they’re getting better at filling up Rick’s parts – I guess Richie also got to sing some background vocals, although sadly no lead parts yet, which is a shame and which Quo rectified soon after. Check out his performances of “Little Lady” and “Big Fat Mama”, the guy’s got a voice! Rhino sings “Rain” dropped down a full step (as on LNOTE), and I wouldn’t say it doesn’t work at all; it’s just that I would prefer to hear “Bad News” instead. And “Something ‘Bout You Baby I Like” simply has to go! It’s not a good song, it doesn’t sound good at all any more, and it was not suitable for a hard rock / metal audience like Wacken.

But otherwise, there’s a lot to like here. Leon’s drumming, for instance, sounds creative to me for the very first time on record. He’s no John Coghlan yet, but starting to feel like a good keeper of the tradition, making the entire band sound heavier again. Andy has dialled back a lot of his synth sounds and is playing some no-nonsense Hammond organ instead, wonderful!

As with the previous live recording, Francis is definitely the star here. Although he cuts down severely on the audience chatter (because of the limited stage time), he still displays all of his entertainer qualities, and his guitar playing is just wonderful in many places – including “Softer Ride”, most of “Roll Over Lay Down”, the intro to “Down Down” and his completely improvised bluesy soloing, reminiscent of the early 1970s, in “Bye Bye Johnny” (which also includes quotes from “Red Sky” and other tracks). His voice still holds up remarkably well for his age, although at times he’s a bit out of breath and messes up some words. Speaking of which, Rhino sings “I'd like to snort a line” in “Rain”. Gah!

Sadly, as always, I'm not fond of the production. The mixing has that usual “compressed and muddy” feeling to it (it improves when turned up though, which is more than I can say about several earlier Paxman jobs), the audience is so far back down in the mix it’s often inaudible, and even Francis’ guitar sometimes gets lost in the mix. On the positives, there are virtually no edits at all (even the audience clapping for an encore is left there), and no clumsy fade-ins and -outs!

So, what remains is the problem of the setlist. Quo have started to incorporate some lesser played tunes into the set recently, let’s hope we actually get some of these songs as live recordings on some future package.

This is the last album released by Status Quo to date!

melstapler likes this.
  18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I enjoyed this one and thought it was much better than Last Night Of The Electrics. I didn't bother picking up the acoustic companion piece.

I agree with you and like it better when Andy tones down the synth a little bit. The non-Francis vocal numbers still need some work though.

melstapler and JulesRules like this.
  19. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

For me the Wacken DVD is one the best Quo live record performances ever. Rossi always seems amazed they get asked onto these Hard Rock/Metal festivals but from what I can tell Quo always kill it big time. Band are on fire for me on this

melstapler, JulesRules and carlwm like this.
  20. Almost Simon

I liked what I've seen of the DVD, nice that its outdoors. Always felt Quo's lighting for indoor gigs a little lacking. Maybe a strange criticism.

So is that the thread over? Surely more to go? New Rossi album?

JulesRules likes this.
  21. JulesRules

I liked when they had LED animation when I saw them in 2011 on the Quid Pro Quo tour. But they often have relatively unimaginative lighting, I agree.

The Rossi/Rickard album was released a few days ago, and I've only heard a few songs off it. I'll post it when I've become sufficiently acquainted with it. We can also tackle the subject of reissues and talk about the other guys' solo projects. And of course everybody's free to throw in good YouTube clips such as the recent live versions of "Little Lady" I mentioned above.

22. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

Just saw Rossi's I talk Too Much show in Aldershot on Wednesday and while totally different to a Quo show it was just as entertaining listening to the main man talk about his life. He has such a way with a crowd and everyone left happy. Very funny and also touching when he talked about Rick.

JulesRules, Almost Simon and carlwm like this.
  23. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I've been enjoying the Rossi/Rickard album a lot.

It somehow manages to be refreshingly different yet as cosy as a comfort blanket at the same time.

JulesRules and Johns44 like this.
  24. JulesRules

I posted a separate birthday thread for Francis:

Happy Birthday, Francis Rossi! (Status Quo)

Also, I’ve now watched the Wacken DVD and must confess that it’s a huge improvement over just listening to the CD. Whereas the audience is pretty low in the mix on the CD, the crowd’s enthusiasm on the video is just infectious. Also, it’s got a great dramaturgy with the final scene and all (I'm not going to spoil it for those who haven’t seen it yet… it’s definitely worth watching!). Francis seems much more involved compared to some of the video material before Rick’s departure (also including the FF reunions), and the whole thing is more of a band. Still, let Richie sing more songs…

Johns44 and Almost Simon like this.
  25. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

This might prick up your ears. 2 new songs in the set list last night and both are excellent to these ears at least.

Liberty Lane - Status Quo

JulesRules, Almost Simon and carlwm like this.