Steely Dan- Aja coming on vinyl remastered by Kevin Gray

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeT, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rb66

rb66 Member

Thanks, that could be it. Why do I have the feeling that if someone came up with the money, they would 'find' the masters and release this stuff. I hope they are seeing a market for great sounding music.

2. kudesai

kudesai New Member

If the multitracks are missing, what were they working from on the program "Classic Albums: Steely Dan's Aja"? This came out in 2000 I believe.

3. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

This might be a tough sell . . .

Don't get me wrong, I love Kevin's work--and I have his recent masterings of "American Woman" and "Giant Steps," and they both sound great. However, it is hard to imagine improving upon the original vinyl of Aja, which is already an audiophile delight and still easily found in the used bins.

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I'm not sure if all of them are missing. It may only be a few reels.

5. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

You'll notice that for two songs in that documentary ("Black Cow" and "Aja") Becker and Fagen simply seem to be hitting "Play" on a CD player. They do no playing of multitracks for those two cuts.

So yes, only *some* of the multis were/are missing.

6. kudesai

kudesai New Member

Excellent work! Thanks. :D

I would still like to know all of the insider opinions on the whole Digital vs. Analog masters for this album. Anyone?

7. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 Music Lover

Great! Another Aja! Well, I couldn't resist!

8. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

Well, it couldn't hurt to own another copy of Aja could it? Particularly as it should sound excellent :goodie:

Yes, as already mentioned, only the multitracks for Black Cow and Aja are missing. Being perfectionists, obviously Don and Walt weren't going to release a multichannel version of this album with only 5 of the 7 tracks in 5.1...

But a nice new vinyl version will be lovely, thanks :thumbsup:

9. Dalziel53

Dalziel53 Senior Member

Can someone please clarify that this is not the same as the 200 gram Japanese edition that was recently announced here:

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=LJPN2373

I've already pre-ordered the Japanese one and now I'm going to have to get this one too..............:shake:

Has the mastering and tape sources for the Japanese pressing been identified / discussed?

10. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Sorry, I'm sure this must have been discussed here a couple of times: if - according to Roger Nichols' 1991 article linked above - the original analog tapes are in poor condition and Nichols' 1981 digital transfers are better, how can a new 2007 transfer of these analog tapes sound great? Or is Nichols' point of view debatable?

11. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I agree. I found a used original pressing a few weeks ago for $2.99 and it sounds incredible.

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have this record and think it sounds great as well. I never bothered to look at who mastered it.

13. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Ditto. I just found a beautiful condition abc pressing yesterday (had to spend $6 for it, though... :p) and it sounds fantastic. My old MCA copy can finally retire!

I do look forward to picking up this new 180 gram pressing, however, as I must have 10 copies of Aja floating around my house already, in various formats. :righton: What's the harm in one more?

14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I know what you mean. Same thing for Aqualung.:sigh:

15. Elegy

Elegy Forum Resident

Well, I placed my order. Looking forward to this. Aja has always been one of my fave Steely Dan albums. And it's Kevin Gray remastered....you're gonna get good product.

16. His Masters Vice

It is very debatable.

I'll think you'll find he changed his mind since 1991 as the analog tapes certainly have been used for more recently Steely Dan remastering efforts.

17. kudesai

kudesai New Member

Which ones would these be?

18. I say the same thing about Pink Floyd. :winkgrin:

19. His Masters Vice

The '99 remasters are one example. The Gaucho SACD

20. blitzableiter

blitzableiter Member

I can't wait! I have the original which sounds pretty good, unlike the MoFi, which is ridiculous!

21. kudesai

kudesai New Member

Huh, I thought these were from the digital masters. Can you site a source?

Thanks

22. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Didn't he marry Molly Hatchet? :confused:

23. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

No, that was Jethro Tull... or was it Lynyrd Skynyrd?? :sigh:

24. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I keep getting those guys confused. :cussing:

But back on topic....

Kevin Gray's Aja :thumbsup: According to Acoustic Sounds, it will be released on August 1. I can buy it for myself as a birthday present. :D

25. kudesai

kudesai New Member

Can anyone say for sure what the source for the '99 remasters was? I do not see anything in the Gaucho sacd notes to indicate mastering source.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.