Steely Dan Aja vinyl shootout

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sam, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I think "we" (Steve Hoffman Forum Members) have had a direct effect on the pricing on the AB 1006. I still find them quite often in my neck of the woods for $15 or less.

2. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

In my town clean AB1006 LPs are plentiful and go for around $10. I still pick them up occasionally but I probably have at least seven copies.

3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I keep my MoFi to remind how good the originals are!
    :wiggle:

Cardanken and Dr. Funk like this.
  4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Along with a slide rule, a telegraph and a Sears catalog, no doubt.

Paul P. and Fishoutofwater like this.
  5. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I looked at a few this weekend. Supposedly the very first ones have a KENDUN stamp so I'm looking for that.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  6. Echoes Myron

Are you thinking of Katy Lied?

7. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

No, I thought I read somewhere, that I don't recall now, that very early Ajas have it. Man now you have me thinking, I should be more careful when I post things here that I think I remember. I don't see that anywhere on Discogs and I don't think Bernie worked at Kendun Recorders.

It was fun to hunt for it for awhile.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    Echoes Myron likes this.
  8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’m pretty sure neither the AB nor later AA cuts have Kendun in the deadwax. The earlier pressing will have AB1006 and later pressings from the same cut will have the AB1006 crossed out and replaced with AA1006. Those with just AA1006 (and nothing crossed out) are a different cut.

ODShowtime likes this.
  9. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I've never seen one with a KENDUN stamp......I will do a little research. :pleased:

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I would do very little if I were you...

chacha likes this.
  11. tnic73

tnic73 Well-Known Member

You're big on admonishing against wishful thinking aren't you? I think I've heard this argument before it was hand painted on a placard that read "The end is near.............".

12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Blah, blah, blah. Quote all of the cliched cartoons you want. You’re completely putting your head in the sand. The luddites are always the last to see change is not only coming but it came and went.

Look I don’t stream either. But the days of buying a physical digital copy of someone else’s intellectual property to own, sell or trade as you choose are clearly coming to end whether you like it or not, acknowledge it or not, or accept it or not.

tnic73 likes this.
  13. tnic73

tnic73 Well-Known Member

Luddites, great word, I like that; worth the price of admission.

14. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Wow...I have a ton of copies of this album. In digital I have an old MCA cd (not a holy grail), the MOFI cd (which I love), the SHM-SACD (which, despite the mixed reviews here, I love even more). On vinyl I have my MCA vinyl that I bought in the early ‘80’s (my first copy of His album - not a great pressing), two copies of the Cisco (one still sealed), a promo AA-1006 with AB scratched out, and an AB-1006 on order from Discogs. I have to say that I think the Cisco sounds amazing. It’s crisp, clean, and dynamic. It has a real shimmer. While I didn’t think it was possible, I like my AA-1006 with the AB crossed out even better. It sounds less hard and edgy. It has a more relaxed, natural sound to me. Both are excellent though, and it’s probably a matter of personal preference in the end. You really can’t go wrong with either. Looking forward to hearing the AB-1006 to see if it’s identical to my AA-1006 promo (which it should be based on the other posts o this thread).

Echoes Myron likes this.
  15. Cardanken

Cardanken Hyperactive!

Saw one for $50 yesterday. Passed since a certain Santa Maria AB in my collection sounds absolutely amazeballs. :cheers:

16. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Sadly, I think you’re right. I’m beginning to prepare myself for the inevitable. For those of us that still like to listen to new music, there will soon be no other choice than to stream. For me personally, that will be a sad day, but I’d rather stream than not listen to new music.

17. teag

teag Forum Resident

The original vinyl sounds better than the Cisco. I have both in NM condition. More dynamic.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  18. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Hehe, can I have one then? :goodie:

Echoes Myron likes this.
  19. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I snagged the MOFI Aja yesterday evening.......It's such a beautiful copy, both inside and out. All the paper work is included, and the corners are sharp on the deep black glossy gatefold. The vinyl looks like it was barely touched, much less played. It's pretty cool finding something nearly 40 years old in this condition. I agree with you, AnalogJ, and Marcb that it is inferior to other pressings.........especially the AB 1006. The mid range definitely has issues with that infamous smiley EQ. I played around with the levels, but wasn't quite able to find the sweet spot. I still think it was well worth the $25, and definitely has it's merits. For me, this hobby all about having fun, and comparing different pressings is a large part of the enjoyment. :righton:

20. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I agree. For some reason, my favorite track " Deacon Blues" sounds dull and unexciting on Cisco reissue. I sold it after hearing the better sounding AA1006 and the not-too-perfect Mobile Fidelity reissue.

teag likes this.
  21. Echoes Myron

Nothing wrong with that, and great buy. I think I paid $30 for my copy which was in much worse shape than yours. They usually go for a lot more.

Dr. Funk likes this.
  22. Trius

Trius Forum Resident

I’ve read through this thread - LONG! So I don’t recall all the dedwax details.

I picked up an AB copy today for $8US - the deadwax is AB-1006-(RE3) A-P4 and AB-1006-(RE3) B-P3. I don’t see anything more on either side. Does anyone know where this was pressed? I haven’t listened to it - currently I’m just adding to the collection as my turntables need work.

This copy isn’t pristine - it’s not dirty but there are surface marks, which I don’t think will play, but we’ll see. The gatefold jacket is in fair condition.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  23. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

I have an AA-1006, with the B scratched out. Santa Maria 1A 1A. Sounds great to me.

24. Echoes Myron

Maybe a Pittman? Regardless, I am betting it will sound very, very good.

25. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident

My clean original from 1977 still sounds glorious after all these years. Its an AA1006 with the B crossed out. I bought the Cisco when it could still be had easily, and it had a pressing flaw and had to be returned. The replacement copy I received had weird discolorations in the vinyl, but they did not seem to affect play at all. I kept it, fearing if I tried a third time I might get a worse copy. I'm happy with the sound of both copies.