Steely Dan Aja vinyl shootout

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sam, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Greg (or Henry Porter?)

Greg (or Henry Porter?) Well-Known Member

For nearly 30 years now, the only way I've been able to listen to Aja is by programming my Citizen box set to play the tracks in the correct order, first on a CD player, and for the last decade, FLAC files. About two months ago as part of my pandemic musings I thought, "I wonder if there is some perfectly remastered CD of Aja I should get," which is how I stumbled onto this entertaining and informative thread.

So of course the first thing I did was get my old Technics SL-220 out of storage where it had been also for about 30 years, and get a new belt for it, only to discover it can no longer maintain a consistent speed. Guessing the caps are all shot. A new Fluance RT82 was procured, all working towards the goal of getting my old vinyl copy out to play, wondering what pressing it would turn out to be.

I was in a record store in 1977 the day they were first unboxing and shelving it. And the answer, etched in my run-out, is that I have an AB-1006 (RE-3)! With a T/, which I assume means the Terre Haute pressing plant. Not surprising, since the record store was in Indianapolis.

The album, including its cover which I kept in a protective sleeve, is in mint condition. At the time of purchase I was treating all of my albums with a spray made by Ball. They had microscopic photos showing a stylus peeling plastic shavings from an album, but after treatment, the groove staying pristine.

I must say, it sounds marvelous. Not just the oomph and clarity of the recording itself, but the vinyl is also silent, no clicks or pops. That is why I was an early CD convert, always felt that what I lost in warmth was made up for in the silence of the background. But my copy of Aja sounds perfect. Nothing like hearing that Steve Gadd solo and the Pretty Purdie shuffle.

It was fun reading this thread, and it's fun playing records again. Happy listening!

2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Vinyl is not digital. It’s a mechanical process with a bunch of variables inherent in the process - the plant, the vinyl formulation, the micro-climate, the mother and stampers used, etc. - and each, in theory, can contribute to records sounding different.

Two records from the same plant can sound different...which is why I chuckle when people make claims like a Monarch pressing of such and such album is universally better than a Presswell pressing. People like to mock Tom Port because of his prices, but the underlying theory of his claims is basically true. There is variability in pressings which, on paper, should be almost indistinguishable and some LPs are simply appreciably better sounding than others.

I’ve got 3 or 4 AB pressings of Aja and they all sound slightly different. Unfortunately (as seems to often be the case) the one which sounds the best has the worst vinyl....:cussing:

3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Prove it.

4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Not you again. Prove it wrong.

5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

That’s not an argument from authority. That’s just an argument.

6. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

I have a sealed AB I opend, multi AB, AA, Mofi? Japanese Etc etc

The Cisco is much nicer balanced - details, dynamics
    I bought a second copy this year for $$ just to have a backup copy

GentleSenator likes this.
  7. Leonthepro

You dont know how this works do you?

Google it.

8. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

What a great way to get back into vinyl! I have a couple Terre Haute AB-1006 copies. They sound awesome. The first notes with the bass coming in tell you that you are in for some good stuff.

Slick Willie likes this.
  9. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

While it is also my truth, it can't be proved. At least not by digital rips as often times these things can be subtle.
    I attribute it to where in the stamper's life it was pressed, what gen of mother the stamper was made from, and even the history of the LP (condition/how many times and what it was played on).
    Anyhoo..... believe/not believe, all is good.

10. Leonthepro

At least you recognize some of the problems with it.
    Its when someone shows confidence and ridicule towards the opposite that I believe demonstration is in order.

Slick Willie likes this.
  11. Greg (or Henry Porter?)

Thanks. Yup, the needle drop was as thrilling as the first time on my college roommate's stereo, which was pretty sweet, 43 years ago. He had a Philips electronic turntable, a 212 I think, Marantz receiver, and large Jensens. It's been fun looking through the old albums and seeing the crazy low prices on ones that still have stickers. Like RS "Some Girls," the banned Lucille Ball cover, for six bucks from Rolling Stones Records in the Chicago 'burbs.

Jack of most and Echoes Myron like this.
  12. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I have one of the late 90's reissue CD's (1999). It is quite good. I prefer it to my Mobile Fidelity Aja CD, which goes for a pretty penny now I noticed. I have the AA-1006 and AB-1006 vinyl. They are decent, but I wish I had a nicer version (Cisco is expensive) and the LP's are showing their age.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  13. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Follow up to above. The 1999 reissue CD is excellent. Threw it on after writing the post. Had my wife dancing! (and she's sick of Steely Dan!)

MRamble likes this.
  14. jacksonwalker

jacksonwalker Forum Resident

Dancing wives are dangerous.

15. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

For whatever reasons I didn't think the 90s remaster was very well liked by most here. I dont recall the specific reasons why. Probably the mastering.

16. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

The Cisco has more lower end presence, but is murky compared to my original. I much prefer the OG.

rob303 and GentleSenator like this.
  17. Greg (or Henry Porter?)

That's very very funny considering the genus of their name. Don't know if you did that intentionally or not.

Boltman92124 likes this.
  18. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Think clean thoughts!

19. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

IMO the MoFi CD is more recessed sounding and kind of flat. The 99 disc pops.

20. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

I now finally have em all. Or damn close. It's stupid...I know.

Cisco is best to my ears but not by a huge leap from a AB 1006.

21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Many younger music fans don’t have experience with older vinyl, just with digital and new (including reissue) vinyl. The difference is that all new vinyl of a particular mastering tends to sound the same (low runs - sometimes 1000 to 3000 copies all pressed at the same plant). In the 70’s records would SHIP in the millions. So all 1 million copies of Exile issued in the first year or so my be “first press” but they don’t sound the same. In Japan, a -1 X4 UK Exile might sell for $400.

But I wouldn’t expect someone who is not a serious collector of 60’s/70’s vinyl to have experienced this.

NorthNY Mark and Echoes Myron like this.
  22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

If you are still using a Benz Micro MC cart, you might try varying the VTA. The Cisco is a thick record so the slight change in the tracking angle might impact the sound (or maybe not).

23. AnalogJ

I have. It ain't my first time around the rodeo. :)

24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Given your choice of carts, I figured that was the case, but just thought I’d mention it.

AnalogJ likes this.
  25. AnalogJ

Thanks, though. I appreciate you offering the suggestion. Believe me, when one has spent $30 on a copy, you don't want to overlook it. But I was sort of disappointed in it from the start, aside from the great lower end presence the Cisco has. But it wasn't done from a first generation tape, to my understanding. And once I obtained the AB-1006 that many were raving about, I put it on my table and was surprised how fresh and immediate sounding it is. The midrange and top end are just SO wide open. The Cisco reminds me of the MoFi Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon pressing. It has lots of detail, but it sounds confined and thick. It wasn't until I heard a UK Harvest original that had me realize how much better the UK was.

ODShowtime, rob303 and Slick Willie like this.