Steely Dan Analogue Productions 45 RPM & UME/Geffen 33 Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MemoInPR, May 18, 2022.

1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You’re not crazy at all. Paying $150 for a record is crazy imo, since there are better options for less money.

perplexed, MonkeyMan and Satrus like this.
  2. My guess is that they were stolen and sold to some multi-billionaire who keeps them in a vault with other stolen treasures to show off to guests - "that's an original Picasso on the wall that vanished in 1987. That sound you hear is my pet Panda Bear. That's a mint 1957 Les Paul in the glass case that'll never be touched by human hands again and, hey listen, I can solo Donald Fagen's lead vocal from a song on Aja. Cool, huh?" and then he locks up the vault until he wants to impress another guest. Or something like that.

3. Doop

Doop Walking The Fine Line Between Stupid And Clever

Thanks! And I feel a little foolish admitting this, but it turns out I do have an SACD player, in the form of the Sony UBP-X700 I bought 4 years ago. Never having owned any SACDs, I didn't realize it was compatible. I only knew it couldn't play DVD-Audio (like my Doors "Perception" box and the King Crimson 40th anniversary releases, though those files were easy to rip). Not the greatest SACD player, I'm sure, but it's something for now.

Blue Cactus likes this.
  4. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Definitely, though i think if anybody was sardonic it was Walter. Fagen was at least sunnier than Walter.

shadowcurtain likes this.
  5. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

I would never describe Fagen as "sunny" even in comparison to Walter. They both could be pleasant and sardonic. It's a reason they worked so well together.

A few years ago I got a picture with Donald. Before a friend snapped the photo, I asked him, "Are we smiling or grimacing?" He said he only had one look: it was a grimace.

6. VQR

VQR Recovering AAA-holic

Considering even when younger, on The Nightfly many of his own lyrics had an underlying cynical edge. IGY is positively idealistic yet melancholic and dystopian in how little society truly progressed.

7. Roger Nichols stated that during the recording of Aja, a safety was made at the same time as the master. It wasn’t a dub of the master. When transferring Aja to digital in the early 80’s, the side A master was used, while the side B master could not be located so the safety was used. Being the same generation as the master, this was of no consequence. Presumably, this same safety was what Kevin Gray used to cut the Cisco reissue and what is being used for the UHQR.

I’m not thrilled that an EQ-ed cutting dub is being used for the Gaucho UHQR. So, it presumably will be at the same generation as the original Ludwig-cut LP’s in 1980, and the quality will be no better—not that it needs to be. Still, going back to the original master would be preferable.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    marcb, DeRosa and VQR like this.
  8. Wayne C

Wayne C Forum Resident

I think that it is important for AS to hit these out of the Ball Park sonically from the get go, CBAT has to be far and away better than the cheaper
    version that’s coming out at the same time. If it isn’t night and day of an improvement I feel folks including myself may be apprehensive about continuing with the full set and may decide to stick with the cheaper versions. I mean can any record sound significantly better, what happens if the cheapo Universal version isn’t that far behind?. Obviously it won’t sound 6 times as good as a $30 Universal I would be amazed if it even sounds twice as good - I’m hoping it’s significantly that’s why I pre ordered them but there can’t be that much in it.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  9. CBAT? I have no idea what you are talking about.

10. Wayne C

Wayne C Forum Resident

Can’t Buy a Thrill.

marcb likes this.
  11. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I’ve never been a big Steely Dan fan however about 6 years ago my best friend who is one of the biggest fans convinced me to really give them a chance. He said let me get you the right pressings. He has an uncanny ability to find perfect copies of records. At that time they were plentiful and cheap. Within a couple of months I had a complete set of the first seven all first pressings including a couple of white label promo’s. All mint including covers the most expensive was $8.
    While I played a few, never played Aja.
    Today I plugged it out. The stamper was
    AB-1006(RE-3) A
    AB-1006 (RE-3) B
    It plays absolutely silent and sounds better than anytime I’ve heard this album.
    I think I’ll do the right thing and cancel my AP order at least for this title don’t think it can sound my better.

ODShowtime, Wnhlz and Instant Dharma like this.
  12. Not sure how you can know if what is out there is better or worse than something that doesn’t exist yet.

Classicrock, intv7, Munger74 and 2 others like this.
  13. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

With effectively the same mastering it may come down to the pressing quality of the Universal's.

Of course the downloads can avoid physical limitations and sound better than the UHQRs :)

14. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Is it even feasible to remaster this from an EQ-ed cutting dub? It seems to me that there would be remnants of the prior EQ that would interfere with any changes in EQ for the remaster. Is there a chance that they may just use the EQ cutting dub as is for cutting the new vinyl and SACD?

15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Fair point. I should have included in my comment that if you have the right early pressing, it’s very rare a reissue will beat it. If Aja beats the best existing pressings, for example, it would be a very rare occurrence. But you’re right, we should wait and see.

DPC and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  16. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Well to add to the dismay of AP's Steely Dan's seven UHQR lp releases, high prices, looks we'll be paying higher FedEx shipping prices vome January 2023. Heard this Thursday on news.

FedEx plans to increase shipping rates by an average of 6.9% starting in January as it copes with weaker business demand. "Effective January 2, 2023, FedEx Express, FedEx Ground and FedEx Home Delivery rates will increase by an average of 6.9%," the company said in a statement on Thursday.

ChickenringNYC likes this.
  17. Don’t know, but you could definitely “re-EQ” it.

18. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

So, I bought almost the complete Steely Dan catalog on LP around 1981 when I was 18. (Ya, I am so old, but I had good taste back then :) )

They are mostly MCA re-presses, but I still have them, and I dug them out this week and they still sound pretty good.

Nope, I will not spend over a thousand $ (much more in Canada) to re-buy them at crazy prices.

I am done chasing audiophile nirvana at > $150 an album. There is no way a new expensive pressing could improve my enjoyment of the music. YMMV.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    sharedon, ETSEQ, Jrr and 1 other person like this.
  19. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

This is a good point. I personally think this audiophile mania has reached a point of ridiculousness. When the music becomes something that is on the bottom of the priority list and the equipment, various playback options, etc. become more important, then I have to say a person really isn't interested in the music anymore. It's about audio perfection, which doesn't exist and never will. For me, the music is of upmost importance and everything else is secondary. I think there are some members here who just like to show off their equipment instead of making insightful comments about the music and the performances. I'm certainly not saying I don't enjoy a good sounding recording, but it's not that important in the grand scheme of things.

intv7, FashionBoy, ETSEQ and 3 others like this.
  20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

There comes a point for me where it doesn’t matter how good a product is once it crosses a value price point. I know for many these albums haven’t crossed that line, but they certainly have for me. I’m out. I thought $125 was a bit nuts for the One Steps but I buy select titles anyway. But that is my absolute limit. So, once again, another hobby of mine where pricing has made it unaffordable. Better things to do with $150 plus tax and shipping.

21. Yukon Cornholio

Yukon Cornholio Forum Resident

Expensive records are just the start. Don't forget equipment upgrades, room treatments, cables, updated power cords, and audiophile breakers and box. I also forgot a dedicated 100 amp power from the mains. Busy, busy, busy...not sure where to start!

AnalogJ likes this.
  22. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I have a feeling these will be mastered for portables. Dynamically compromised. They may let Big Bass Bernie go full tilt.

kitt1987, VQR and kevywevy like this.
  24. rashers

rashers Forum Resident

When the UMe albums are released, if you are a subscriber, you will be able to stream the 24/96 or 24/88 PCM files on Qobuz before you take the plunge to buy the vinyl. Assuming a flat transfer, the records will, presumably, sound more or less the same - depending on your playback equipment (and of course the usual vinyl questions about pressing quality etc). Indeed, even if you are considering buying the UHDRs - you can get a preview of what BG has managed to get out of the master tapes. Regardless of your audiophile medium bias, well captured analog to digital conversion should at least be compatible with the detail and soundstage as UHDR if not the “emotional impact.”

AnalogJ and c-eling like this.
  25. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I'm in for the SACD counterparts. Not a vinyl guy, and even this won't push me. :winkgrin:

After decades of CD/digital releases all based off the same Roger Nichols digital transfers done in the early '80s - with early '80s A/D converter technology - it'll be nice to hear what Bernie can do with new, fresh transfers from the tapes.

Given this quote from the press release...
    ...I'd guess we are to assume that even the Nichols digital transfer of Aja was from that 1-to-1 tape copy? Or it was from an original master that disintegrated or was lost?

And, as to Gaucho...that was a digital recording, wasn't it? I get that using an analog copy is part and parcel of AP's process, but isn't using an EQ'd tape copy still a needless degradation? Wouldn't it have made more sense to create a new analog master from the un-EQ'd digital master?