Steely Dan c'74, covering "My Boyfriend's Back"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Mar 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

Brian Sweet's SD biography mentions a couple of times that on the '74 tour, the encore would be the backing singers Porky & Bucky (Jenny Soule & Gloria Granola) doing a spirited rendition of this girl group classic. It tallies with the still-active practice of putting a soul classic in the average Steely Dan setlist for the backing singers to get a moment in the spotlight.

I've never heard any recording of this, and the most widely circulated boot from '74 at The Record Plant has no sign of the girls, nor does the live version of Bodhisattva from their final show (the one with Jerome Aniton's famous introduction). Has anyone heard this curiosity, or even attend one of the show's where they played this?

Joti Cover and ohnothimagen like this.
  2. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

This one puzzled me a bit as I'd never seen this come up and when I checked the '74 recordings I had those two names weren't listed. And then I looked at the SD gig listing...and they didn't play anywhere in September '74 (Sweet's book says "My Boyfriend's back was played at Santa Monica in September).

But...it was in September '73 on the CTE tour and not '74.

As far as I know, no live recordings from 1973 have ever been found - or at least if they have I've not seen them.

3. daleyguy

daleyguy Forum Resident

I'd love to hear the songs they wrote that David Palmer sang on the early tours. From the above mentioned biography:

"Steely Dan’s live set at this point included certain songs – ‘Megashine City’, ‘Take My Money’ and ‘Hellbound Train’ – that had been written specifically as vehicles for David Palmer and which would never make it onto a Steely Dan studio album."

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

A live recording of Steely Dan from 72 or 73 would be quite a find.

5. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Was Palmer doing most of the leads then? I remember seeing this and wondering if Fagen was a bit too shy to do it himself, even though he still sang most of the leads on record:

6. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Funny, I am re-reading the Brian Sweet SD bio at the moment and a couple of days ago when reading about those '73/'74 shows I was thinking, "Man, I'd like to hear those!" (both the Porky & Bucky tune and the David Palmer "vehicles")...alas:
    That's a shame.
    Indeed it would- according to that biography the original Dan were a powerhouse live. The available '74 shows are awesome, but apparently even before they added Porcaro and McDonald to the lineup the live band was a force to be reckoned with.

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. honzalong

honzalong Forum Resident

Megashine City aka Talkin' Bout My Home:

8. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

And "Talkin' Bout My Home" never made it on to a Steely Dan album either...

Billy Budapest and Fullbug like this.
  9. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

They were, indeed, a powerhouse live in 1974. I saw them w Porcaro at the Kennedy Center in the spring of that year.
    Pretzel had just been released and they were all the buzz in the rock press and elsewhere.

Fullbug likes this.
  10. Joti Cover

I have no memory of "My Boyfriend's Back" @ the '74 show, however....I'm sure I would have remembered that.

Fullbug likes this.
  11. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Since the last shows they did were in early July of 74 I'd say the September reference for that year is either a typo or just wrong. I see many incorrect mentions like that in the various music bios I've read. Could be someone just remembered the wrong year.

12. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I believe the OP got the year wrong. I'm sure it's 1973, as they didn't have female singers on the 1974 dates.

Hall Cat likes this.
  13. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Must have been interesting and in the round too.

[​IMG]

somnar and Fullbug like this.
  14. pool_of_tears

Neither did this one:

15. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

I blame Brian Sweet, or his proof readers…!

It also seems crazy that a) this hasn't surfaced somewhere over the years and b) I can't find anything online about what happened to the two girl singers or any other credits of subsequent performances or work. Maybe they didn't exist?

16. pool_of_tears

I've not seen any 1973 live Dan stuff...if a soundboard were to appear with the same sound quality as the 74 shows, that would be great

Fullbug likes this.
  17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember in Fagen's book Eminent Hipsters his tour diary mentions a backup singer SD had on tour in the 70's. Forget the name though.

Fullbug likes this.
  18. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

But soon after they were "through with buzz"! :D

Sorry!

19. Joti Cover

Ha! I love that. No apology needed!

20. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I saw them on that tour at Alice Tully Hall where they buried the headliners, ELO. I think I would have remembered them doing "My Boyfriends Back" though.

Fullbug and Joti Cover like this.
  21. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Unless there was a correction between 1st and 2nd editions of the book, it's not Sweet.

The reference on page 62 is in a section which starts "Soon after the release of Countdown to Ecstasy" which is a clue to the year.

Later in that same section he states "It was around this time (September 1973) that they played their first concert as headliners.

I did point out that it was 73 in my post above!

22. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Wow, Skunk Baxter on conga drums!

Fullbug likes this.
  23. Joti Cover

Skumk played some very wild congas for Linda R singing 'You're No Good' one evening on TV as well.... Little Feat's drummer playing in the same band.... That is a great performance and is on YouTube....

Fullbug likes this.
  24. Joti Cover

SKUNK, I mean....

25. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Royce Jones

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.