Steely Dan on AP SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Sep 16, 2022.

1. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I believe it was mentioned many pages back that Bull Moose offers free shipping on pre-orders over $49 as well.

Bill Mac and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Anyone compare the two new Steely Dan SACDs to the original CDs?

bluerondo, tenor1, Merrick and 5 others like this.
  3. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

He is cashing the checks. That is as involved as he wants to be. :)

4. RoyalScam

Honestly, Walter was the audiophile. Donald never really was.

5. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I listened to the Everything Must Go SACD today. Sounds wonderful. Light years better than the compressed mastering on the original CD/DVD-A stereo mix. Nice and warm, fully dynamic, with a great bass response but still nicely balanced. Highly recommended for fans of the album.

6. George P

Thanks!

Lars Medley likes this.
  7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Excellent... thanks for your thoughts Ted! Hopefully it'll be a sign of things to come. Really hoping these SACDs will be the definitive digital versions of Steely Dan's studio albums.

8. George P

It's certainly looking that way, Bill. The download of the first album is excellent too.

I think Aja and Gaucho will be the only ones that may not surpass my JVC Japan For MCA CDs, but luckily those two are already superb.

Merrick, Lars Medley, Plan9 and 2 others like this.
  9. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Right

10. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Just checked out Everything Must Go +the other at Diverse Vinyl so they'll send them out tomorrow. Just seven left!

11. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

I'm tempted, but not on this month's pay. Too much Christmas shopping to get done.
    I'll likely get an early pay day this month, and you never know, Can't Buy A Thrill might just get out by the new year. That's the one I'm really keen to get.

12. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Diverse Vinyl told me they weren’t expecting it until January.

Curiosity likes this.
  13. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I want the 1st 5 on SACD. Very curious to compare the Can't Buy SACD with the download.

14. MrCJF

In the absence of a release date at Acoustic Sounds, I think any dates on Diverse Vinyl are just optimistic speculation.

moomoomoomoo and Lars Medley like this.
  15. ragepil

ragepil Forum Resident

Is Can't Buy a Thrill on stock at any amazon? I can't find it.

16. MrCJF

The SACD hasn't been released yet. Currently there is no release date. I think both the 33rpm and 2x45rpm are available, but I'm not interested in those.

17. RoyalScam

I need SOMEONE to have EMG and 2vN in stock when CBAT finally gets released. Need free shipping! :agree::winkgrin:

Lars Medley likes this.
  18. Playhard2

Playhard2 Obsessed with music

Got both EMG & TAN.
    EMG is terrific. The SACD outdoes the standard CD issue on all fronts. Deep extended and tightly controlled bass, highs extended but not crispy or sizzly as can sometimes happen on the CD. No midrange suckout etc. Wanted to listen only to the first couple of songs on my main rig, but ended up listening to the whole SACD.
    haven't listened to TAN yet.
    That said, I am not really sold on SACD versions to come on their first 7. Partly because my CDs (the forum grail versions thus far) sound terrific and I think chances of further improvement from the original masters are slim.

Lars Medley and George P like this.
  19. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I'm concerned with the same issue on the 1st 5 SACD's. AS will do it, but will not ship until all are in stock; which with APO will probably be after I die from old age.

izgoblin likes this.
  20. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

Are the new AP SACDs of "Two Against Nature" and "Everything Must Go" worth it? I have the two original CD releases and find the pretty good already.

Lars Medley likes this.
  21. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

One interesting story today is that the analogue production products may be coming available in Europe, which would theoretically bring the costs down doing away with expensive postage and taxes, announcement to be made later today.

22. MrCJF

That would be good. If I could get these from my local store at a decent price (ie similar to US retail) that would be a big win for me and my dealer, sorry, shopkeeper.

Rob Hughes likes this.
  23. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Where did you hear this?

24. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

AP seems to have a real problem with SACD releases. They announce optimistic release dates only to see product delays time and time again.

Chad must think of them as the red-headed step-children of his catalogue.

25. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Unlike his vinyl releases—which he presses himself—he has no control over the manufacturing timeframe of the SACDs.