Steely Dan on AP SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Sep 16, 2022.

1. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Really sad that this thread isn't commanding more interest. Arguably the best news in digital audio remasters...like...ever!

Tingman, grx8, Galley and 3 others like this.
  2. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Interesting you should say that. Chad asked Bernie to recut Can’t Buy A Thrill seven times, because he found it sounding too detailed.

izgoblin and George P like this.
  3. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

According to the latest interview, only Can’t Buy a Thrill and 3 out of the 4 sides of Countdown to Ecstasy are finished/approved as of now.

4. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Thanks! That's kind of the way that I interpreted that information as well. Seeing Chad actually holding the presumably "empty" boxes made me wonder just how far along Bernie really was into mastering these, as these were clearly kept pretty tight lipped.

Might I also echo my thoughts, as well as so many others here have and that is that I'm also truly bummed that while these are all great news, Chad really did miss one of the best chances ever with this reissue campaign, to finally get what so many have been waiting years for and that is all of the available Quad and/or Surround mixes as well!

Rekkerds and Devotional like this.
  5. djwkyoto

djwkyoto Forum Resident

Wow, seven re-cuts?? That would be eight lacquer cuts/test pressings. Was that in one of his videos? I have only watched the short one with the announcement.

I seriously do not want to sidetrack this thread, but since this is the SACD topic I might dare to say it without getting beaten up ;) : spinning this 50 year old tape eight times for a limited and extremely costly LP version is really not the way I would like it to be, I'm sorry to say. This calls for digitizing and making at least the various test pressings from the digital file. If they then feel all analog is still better then they could make the final cut from the tape using the same parameters as for the approved cut.
    Or maybe that's the way they did it? I would sure like it to be that way.

Lars Medley likes this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I hear ya.
    Problem, not just with his remasters, but with Gabriel's and Floyd's remasters, the soul is sucked out of them, they lose naturality. However it seems this is what audiophiles like-cold...
    Curious though how the SACD's will be designed. If they are all 'book' style I may be tempted to grab one for design reasons.

jfeldt, djwkyoto and yasujiro like this.
  7. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Yes, that was in the Michael Ludwig-interview. After MoFi-gate, Chad has understandably been really gung ho when it comes to transparency, revealing details like that. He showed Michael the printed notes he got for each tape from the band too, and said he was told nothing regarding the DBX on Katy Lied, speculating that it could be related to the multis. And as we know, they haven’t mastered that one yet.

djwkyoto and c-eling like this.
  8. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Next thursday Chad will do a YouTube-stream with Donald Fagen. It won’t be live, but it couldn’t hurt to shoot Chad an e-mail, and maybe he can forward the surround-question to Donald?

izgoblin, grx8, Chris C and 1 other person like this.
  9. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

How many unique 7” mixes do Steely Dan have?

Any chance of them getting added as bonus tracks or compiled somewhere?

10. Just ordered the Can’t Buy a Thrill SACD from Music Direct. Acoustic Sounds shipping costs are extortionate.

steve722, c-eling and Musicisthebest like this.
  11. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

I do wonder what packaging will be used, book or jewel. Book like with PF would be nice but super jewel fits on shelf easier

c-eling likes this.
  12. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

Think i saw it saying they will be in super audio jewel cases.

13. c-eling

Damn.... :sigh:
    Apart from the mastering I loved that book WYWH, actually the only reason I still have it.

14. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Not surprising to me. Steely Dan are one of my favorite bands, but I don't really see them gaining much traction with the younger audiences. I came to this band later in life, but this was after 20 years or so of listening to jazz, so to say they sounded right up my alley would certainly be an understatement.

15. Uncle_Meat

Uncle_Meat Forum Resident

But the multis make the master, don’t they? The problem is baked in, as far as I know.

16. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Thanks for the response and this will also be my last comment on vinyl in the thread, but I had the exact same response, except opposite. I have one of the AA (scratched out B)-1006 LPs and the Cisco sounded closed in and less dynamic to me (comparatively). Of course, this is listening in my room on my equipment using my ears and brain, so YMMV!

DrJ likes this.
  17. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

Looking forward to this set of discs. Just a pity the shipping costs are twice the price of the disc for us in the UK.

Kundalini and c-eling like this.
  18. c-eling

I feel your pain every time I have to import a 12 inch single for two or three tunes :sigh:
    [​IMG]

19. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

I'm not knowledgable about the band at all, but there are some Rock Band-versions out there unaffected by DBX, so they weren't tracking with it. I'd think that the multis are fine, but it's baked into the mix.

Paul P. and Uncle_Meat like this.
  20. Balcanquhal

Balcanquhal Forum Resident

So, given that these are being issued as LPs cut from digital files, I assume that they will issue new digital versions at the same time.

It stands to reason that the same digital transfer made for SACD will be the basis of such releases.

If so, I'd rather just buy the files than import the SACDs at great expense. If the SACDs show up on UK Amazon or similar for a reasonable sum, I'd naturally buy those instead.

I don't understand why Universal doesn't get Grundman to cut 33rpm lacquers at the same time and use these as the basis for their own releases. They can distribute AAA cuts worldwide for jazz, why not Steely Dan? The whole thing is slightly bizzare.

21. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I just mentioned the "surround" interest by many of us when I just called in my Steely Dan order. He told me that he will pass the request onto Chad and that he welcomes requests! I also asked him to thank Chad for taking the time and unknown expense of getting the Steely Dan catalog to reissue, as we all know how tough that had to be!

Devotional and GregM like this.
  22. GregM

GregM The expanding man

That's cool. I would have liked that, and Chad has supported a mch layer with his Pink Floyd releases. But I think those mixes were in the can and just needed to be ported into DSD somehow. I don't think he would pay for new mch remixes of all the SD albums. Would be nice, though!

Younger audiences don't buy SACDs or any physical media for that matter. Also SHF isn't exactly a magnet for younger people. One would predict this would be a hugely popular thread like the recent thread for the Pink Floyd Animals SACD. Guess not!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    Chris C likes this.
  23. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Will order all of them even though I already have half of them on SACD already.
    If we are lucky we will see 1 of them released this year.

jaxpads and The Elephant Man like this.
  24. BRush

BRush Senior Member

MrCJF, nlgbbbblth and George P like this.
  25. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

I would be up for at least two, however the cost of shipping and fact they wont be released at the same times makes purchase unlikely.