Steely Dan on AP SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Sep 16, 2022.

1. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Pre-orders placed this morning. Of course I'd love a few pounds shaved off the price but as everything from heating's gone up, running a business isn't going to be much different.
    Given we don't have that many great alteratives over here I'd sooner suck it up rather than risk being stung with extra charges on direct imports, supporting British business.

WhatDoIKnow, sacdfan and GregM like this.
  2. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

How much is the SACD shipping for UK? Can only see the price for vinyl on their web site.

3. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I can't bring up the very figures I saw when placed them but it's around the same as the vinyl for one with additional incrumental amounts so if AP issue two or more the unit shiping cost falls. They do ship in sturdy cardboard mailers with stiffeners rather than plastic bags or super thin "padded" envelopes

4. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Thank you. :edthumbs:

5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm definitely in for first six Steely Dan SACDs. Then possibly the other three depending on the reviews. My biggest hope is that the Katy Lied SACD will be the new definitive version with the best possible SQ. I'm surprised there isn't an SACD box set like the SRV and Norah Jones sets.

6. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

Just askin'

7. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

What am I talking about? I'm talking about Analogue Productions NOT any of the Japanese company's

8. Playhard2

Playhard2 Obsessed with music

I'd be getting these if the master tapes are still in great condition. And if Kevin Grey was doing them. But the right versions of SDan CDs are pretty darn good to begin with. And I've seen a few MoFi SACDs that sound great - with detailed soundstage etc. but lose a bit of the verve that was present on RBCDs. So plan is to wait for a few of the reviews. Great news tho' EEC.

mozz, Rockstar2112, c-eling and 2 others like this.
  9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

He often cuts so that the records has sibilants.

yasujiro and c-eling like this.
  10. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Well, if it’s anything like the Doors box set by them, I’ll be highly disappointed.

Randy Goldberg likes this.
  11. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

how so?

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  12. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Grundman did a fantastic job on Frank Zappa - Hot Rats cd reissue (2012). I’m hopeful these will be great. Waiting to hear what others say first. I have so much Steely Dan on vinyl and CD already.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  13. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Add the SACD to your cart then go to checkout. There is a shipping calculator there.

14. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks I shall have a look. 7 albums for me - the debut to Gaucho. Like many on here I have quite a few cd versions of many of these 7 albums.
    I know this is a sacd thread but are these 7 all coming out on vinyl as well? Also are the whole lot being released at the same time?

15. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

For the 7 SACDs to the U.K., shipping is $57.48 so the total order cost is $302.48 but there will be the later FedEx customs charges later (my last AS order was $309.98 before shipping and the FedEx charge was £75.32).

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  16. There’s a whole thread about the vinyl reissues here:
    Steely Dan Analogue Productions 45 RPM

They are being released separately from November through 2023 and maybe beyond.

Flaming Torch and George P like this.
  17. Flaming Torch

I have tried Discogs but find the new format appalling and cannot turn it off to go back to the old style. 2 steps forward and 84 back.
    I have 4 Steely Dan albums on Japanese sacds. They are Countdown, Pretzel Logic, Aja and Gaucho. Did any of the other 70s albums make it to sacd?

18. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yes, that's correct: those are the JSACDs. Not sure why you're looking at Discogs about it. The upcoming SACDs will use different source material so I believe they're worth preordering, irrespective of the Japanese releases.

19. Flaming Torch

Thanks. I did not think I had missed any Japanese or other sacds. Yes I will get the 7 up to Gaucho and will pre order before our £ plummets further!

Shvartze Shabbos and GregM like this.
  20. Only those 4 made it to SACD. Royal Scam was scheduled but was cancelled for some reason.

21. GregM

GregM The expanding man

A blessing in disguise so as to not spend more money on what I believe will prove inferior SACDs. We shall see in the case of Countdown, Pretzel, Aja. I never got the JSACD of Gaucho.

22. Ed Osborne

Ed Osborne Senior Member

Clarification please…what is a “Cisco” reissue? What does SMH stand for? How does one distinguish a Pittman Aja?

Thanks!

23. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

There's a slider on the right on Discogs which by default is pointing to the new, you need to click/tap it to look to the left. I loath the new version.

defmoot, djwkyoto and Flaming Torch like this.
  24. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

Chad refuses to work with large corporations like Amazon keeping tight control over his product. His view is that for anyone living outside the USA "hard luck" about the high shipping costs, suck it up loser. He has created a luxury niche product. He states- in as many words- that his products are basically aimed at rich Americans- "if you can't afford it then listen to Spotify" is one quote. I have every respect for his high standards when it comes to producing the best product possible but I'm afraid in other respects he does come across as a bit of an A ***e

jackieboy and izgoblin like this.
  25. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

AMEN! There is a lot of the Emperor's New Clothes about buying into the niche luxury product- just like Louis Vuitton luggage. A lot of it is for show, bragging rights and being able to post pics of your latest acquisition on Facebook or Audiophile forum. An Audiophile willy waving contest. I often wonder how many of them can really hear the difference or are they too afraid to admit they can't? Just like those TV sets with millions more colours than the human eye can see... why bother? My 88 year old father just got new windows in his apartment- he's so pleased with the 25 year guarantee- REALLY!!!!??? I just shook my head. They may be re-purposed to make a transparent coffin.

robtodd and Curiosity like this.