Steely Dan - Sound Quality gets better through the years? Right?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by enfield, Apr 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enfield

enfield Forum Resident Thread Starter

In what way? By definition the higher record levels of modern albums often result DR numbers that are superficially lower than older quieter recordings.That doesn't mean that they sound worse just because the DR numbers are not quite as high.As proved by the fact that the final two Steely Dan albums are the best sounding albums of their entire catalogue.Some people dismiss them simply because of the DR numbers of 10 /11 are not quite as high as the 13&14's of the older stuff.That is wrong.Let your ears decide.The last two albums combine a clarity and precision (combined with the Steely Dan trademark smoothness and weight) that the older stuff just cannot match.Even the best masters of Aja and Gaucho sound slightly veiled and muddy in comparision.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    OptimisticGoat likes this.
  2. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Really?? The consensus is the opposite.

3. GregM

GregM The expanding man

The Fez is brilliant as a euphemism for a condom in the holy act of congress, set to a perfect disco rhythm. Steely Dan simmering at their most subversive. Poor guy. Don't make him do it without wrapping that rascal. Of course the fez is also a very visible skullcap associated with--how shall I say--a very buttoned up religion. Sheer brilliance.

rodentdog and GeoffC like this.
  4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

The RL sounds really good and smooth. My original pressings sound more rough but have more life on the early tracks like My Old School.

5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

And it's for that reason, the lack of dynamic range, that I must downgrade the last two albums. I really don't think they sound as good as top-quality vinyl issues of Aja, or Gaucho. My AB-1006 Aja is too good!

6. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

As to whether their discography gets progressively better sounding, I'm not so sure - to me Katy Lied and The Royal Scam are a step down from the previous albums.

7. enfield

Sorry for keep repeating myself but the only reason the dynamic range number is a bit lower is because they were recorded louder in modern studios.Rather than because they are compressed.If Aja and Gaucho had the same DB levels their dynamic range numbers would naturally drop to the same levels.Let you ears be the judge ,rather than dismiss a modern album simply on superficial dynamic range levels.The last two albums were superbly recorded.

OptimisticGoat and varitone like this.
  8. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Hmm... I'm not able to assign numerical rating but it ping pongs. Ratings based on US orig vinyl (WLPs/Promos & best pressings)

Can't Buy A Trill Nice fairly open and warm
    Countdown To Ecstasy Sadly Muddy as it's my fav Dan
    Pretzel Logic Nice, probably best of the early bunch
    Katy Lied Ruined by the Dolby issue, dull needs home brew EQ moves to make it right
    The Royal Scam Very, Very good, a lot closer to Aja sound quality than people realize
    Aja Excellent, but not the be all end all of analog sound. My personal faves are the the albums done by Barncard at Heiders in the early 70s.
    Gaucho Very solid but the production is starting to get thinner

enfield likes this.
  9. enfield

Would be interesting to see a list those albums.What would you recommend? Are any available on CD?

10. enfield

On CD, Katy Lied and The Royal Scam are definitely a step above the first three albums with regards to sound quality in my opinion.

11. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Off the top of my head things that sound warm, natural, & incredibly detailed:
    Van Morrison- St. Dominic's Preview
    Van Morrison-Tupelo Honey
    David Crosby- If I Could Only Remember My Name
    Brewer & Shipley -Tarkio Road (this was Bob Ludwig cut )
    The Grateful Dead- American Beauty

If I'm allowed to cheat also add Bob Ludwig's original cut of Cry of Love on reprise. Not Barncard/Heiders, but an exceptional recording/cutting that makes sense mentioning sonically with titles above.

Those are five of the finest sounding records you will hear. Early 70s, 16 track I'm guessing, before people started doing endless takes and having to utilize excessive noise reduction. Once all the NR entered the scene things got dead and lifeless in a hurry (think all the mid 70s Lennon) and there were issues with people not decoding things correctly/ alignment issues/mistakes etc see Katy Lied (bringing it back to this thread making it relevant)

I'll sit down and make a list of all my faves some day but those are ones I would point to as textbook Demo discs of the style of recording/pressing I like.

Funny enough on CD none of these titles are ones I would point to as extraordinary, although American Beauty is so well recorded it would take work to **** it up. The others don't necessarily jump off the page in their redbook forms, but if you ever considered joining the vinyl darkside I would put these first on my list of recommendations.

Cheers
    C

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  12. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

The Royal Scam is the best, and best sounding, Steely Dan record.

Alternative4 likes this.
  13. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Which is to make sure the background singers hit the higher notes that Donald can't hit anymore

14. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Aja is decent quality but I never understood why it's so highly revered. I always felt like steely Dan had too much top end mixed into their albums

ThomasL likes this.
  15. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I don't look at dynamic range numbers; my comments are only from my personal listening!

So, I'm saying that to these ears, those other albums sound better. The high end of the last two studio albums are a tad bright to me. And too loud, for that matter.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  16. Jedster

Jedster Active Member

The Royal Scam and Katey Lied don't sound that great to me.... what's so great about them?

The mcad 31040 Royal Scam sounds boxey
    and not very "open"

Katey Lied 1999? remaster sounds netter than the earlier cd release by a country mile.
    That album was screwed from the beginning...

IMHO of course

17. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Are you listening on vinyl? Because the original ABC pressing of The Royal Scam sounds pretty damn good. Yes, there were problems with the recording of Katy Lied, but an original ABC Kendun is about the best there is (vinyl). The bad sound has been exaggerated over the years, and the album doesn't sound as horrible as some have claimed. The early MCA Royal Scam cd I own sounds pretty good. There are different masterings floating around, perhaps you heard a lesser one. Apparently you haven't heard the Steve Hoffman mastered Katy Lied (cd)....there is a lot to like with this one.

18. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I would just say that American Beauty, Tarkio Road and Tupelo Honey all sound fine on CD to me. The only one of these I have on vinyl is American Beauty.

19. Their best sounding albums in my opinion are Pretzel Logic, The Royal Scam and Gaucho. Aja is very good as well, but the vocals have a sound that I don't particularly like, especially on "Black Cow", "I Got The News" and "Peg". But that's just a matter of opinion.

20. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

21. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

There are many others, but I can’t disagree with any of those examples. The inclusion of Tarkio Road is what caught my attention at first. Not many talk about that one. MoFi did a really nice job on American Beauty. Classic did a nice job on If Only I Coluld Remember My Name. I fear Tarkio Road doesn’t have the appeal needed to warrant a great reissue effort but IMO you are hearing things right, it’s a gem.

22. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

The 1999 remasters have way too much treble.

The "Royal Scam" (negating the remaster EQ) has the best sound quality to me.

"Aja" is great also but some of the mixes could be better balanced. The vocal on "Josie" is almost not there.

23. George P

George P Notable Member

Hi,

Can I ask if you are speaking of CD or vinyl here?

I'm listening to an early CD of Pretzel Logic and it doesn't sound that great.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  24. I was referring to the album in general, not a particular pressing on CD or vinyl. Pretzel Logic may be no audiophile masterpiece, but to my ears it sounds better than the albums I didn't mention.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.