Steely Dan touring without Walter Becker?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chemically altered, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Carlock and Jon Herington were the highlights of the show when I saw Dan two years ago. Fagen was good too (it helped that for his songs they didn't pick anything where they needed to drop the key several notches as they did when I saw them in the 90's).

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I just saw Donald last night in Virginia. The Doobie Brothers opened and put on an excellent show as usual. They have always been a favorite band of mine. I have seen them in the double digits. They really got the crowd going finishing with Takin' it to the Streets, Take Me In Your Arms, Black Water, Long Train Runnin', China Grove and Listen to the Music. A stellar version of Disciple was also played. Bill Payne, as most know, is playing with the band. Also on percussion was Marc Quinones. As most also know, a long time player in the Allman Brothers. Vocals were pretty spot on and great leads from Simmons, Johnston and McFee. A number of sax solos by Marc Russo.

The first time I saw the band was 1993. The set list you can find. The band is a very professional band. The lead guitar player is excellent. Jon Herington as most know. Speaking of the Royal Scam, my personal favorite, they played a killer version of Don't Take Me Alive. I'm not sure they have played it yet on tour. Other standouts were Aja and Home At Last. Very laid back atmosphere for the Dan. Dirty Work was sung by his three female singers. Donald strained a bit, but still pretty darn good.

The sound, I thought, was excellent for both bands. No boominess. You could hear everything well. All n all, a very enjoyable experience.

Hep Alien and Sneaky Pete like this.
  3. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Maybe they could get a little advice from the Zappa family's lawyer........

4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Both are stellar players, I don't think anyone could ever fault their chops

5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I also thought they did a good job of making their own statements within SD's songs while honoring the originals.

6. With the issue about the rights to the name between Becker’s estate and Donald maybe he should change the name to Steely Don

PIGGIES and 4_everyman like this.
  7. Django

Django Forum Resident

All he has to do is change one letter. Steely Don.

Chemguy likes this.
  8. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Hep Alien and Erick Haight like this.
  9. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

A Dan/Free Jazz fusion band would be Steely Din

Thanks

Farmer Mike likes this.
  10. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Given that Becker had no issue with Fagen carrying on when Becker had to quit the last tour he was on due to his illness, Fagen probably figured he didn't need to mention it- Becker knew he was on the way out and didn't care if Donald carried on without him or not. It's Becker's apparently greedheaded wife who has the issue with it...

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

you obviously have some inside track on this. Wish you were here when the thread on the lawsuit was going strong.

12. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

They had agreed in 1971 that whoever survived owned the name.

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Damn

14. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Mister Magnificent One is here, the Beautiful One is here...and you little ol' pretty one here too...you know, whatever. Here is the Magnificent One, the one and only one, Mister Steely Dan and Whatever...

Hep Alien, Jimbino and edenofflowers like this.
  15. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident Thread Starter

For some strange reason I believe that to be true.

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Cancelling the rest of the tour after Walter had to leave might've cost them a whole lot of money. The original band agreement had the shares of members leaving the group, reverting to the remaining members, with Donald as the last one left. What other issues there are between Donald and Walter's estate, we have no idea. Blaming the wife as some sort of 'greedhead" is making a big leap.

Hep Alien and Mr Sam like this.
  17. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I was:laugh:
    Yeah, we hashed all that in the original lawsuit thread back when it was going down last fall. No way they were gonna cancel the 2017 tour, not only 'cos it would have put Fagen and co. in a legal bind but likely because Becker might have told them not to cancel and just carry on.
    I calls 'em as I sees 'em. Walter Becker's body was barely cold before his missus decided to go to law. Classy. Considering Donald Fagen has just lost his musical partner of almost fifty years I don't think Fagen exactly needed that crap at the time.

18. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

UK dates next year supported by Steve Winwood. Ticket for Manchester secured!!

19. Pickering33

Pickering33 Forum Resident

Didn’t know about the UK tour next year. Luckily I’m in NYC in a few weeks and will be seeing Steely Dan at the Beacon Theater. Saw Steve Winwood recently in Hyde Park supporting Eric Clapton. Winwood was excellent. As were Santana who were also on the bill. Left after 20 minutes of Clapton. Not rated him since Derek and the Dominoes.

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I was going to go to the Glasgow gig but tickets at £76 to £106 are too expensive for me.

21. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

I'd pay that for a theatre show but not an enormodome!

22. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Have to admit I thought twice about it, but as it crosses two artists off my bucket list SWMBO said I should go. After all we have paid £25 to see Nearly Dan, so £95 to see Steely and Winwood didn't seem too bad.

23. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Dan aside (and I've seen them several times, I love 'em), you'll never regret seeing Winwood. "Crossed him off" my own list a year ago, and I'm still marveling at how good he was. If he'd played two shows, I'd have gone back the next night. If you see a chance, take it.

24. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Ditto for Dublin.

25. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Jerome Anton!

Hep Alien and BluesOvertookMe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.