Steely Dan... What Do You Think???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Apr 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

I thought that (NY) was the bulk of the fall tour.

They head out in the Winter to Europe.

2. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

They're playing some cities, including my own. That was the reason for posing the question, not about the Beacon Theater.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  3. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

Ah, sorry wasn't aware they were playing in Oct. prior to the Beacon.

I searched and did find dates between the 1st and 14th. I wouldn't doubt the setlist is similar to the summer tunes they performed. But we'll see after the Oct. 1 Altria Theater show.

4. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

Just imagine you're 17 years old and buying Aja sight (and band) unseen based on some obscure production Grammy award you saw that album get one night in 1978. Cool album cover! So you drop the needle and hear "Black Cow" for the first time through your brand new Polk Audio speakers.

I know what my reaction was: "Whoooooooooah. What the hell?" It's jazzy, but not jazz. Funky, but not funk. Poppy, but those 2 weirdos on the back of the album sure as hell ain't the Captain and Tennille. They look like me and my dork buddies! And the lyrics in those songs . . . sounds like they took the same classes I'm taking.

To me, Becker and Fagen/Steely Dan are sui generis. They don't sound like anything else, before or since. My favorite band.

5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

Awesome tale of 1978. The Dan still captivates and amazes me to this day. I'll spin the Cisco reissue of Aja tonight.

BrutandCharisma likes this.
  6. Say It Right

Even if it's dropping "Josie" or "Peg" in favor of "Deacon Blues." Love that a few Nightfly tracks have been worked in.

7. Psychedelic Good Trip

Nightfly is da bomb!

ohnothimagen, Jimbino and PJayBe like this.
  8. defmoot

defmoot Contents Under Pressure

Have tickets for October 6 at The Stranahan Theatre in Toledo.

Between rows 5-15, centre aisle, on the aisle.

Saw Maynard Ferguson there in 7th grade, I think (early-mid '70s).

9. Psychedelic Good Trip

10. plugmeintosomething

plugmeintosomething Forum Resident

Love Steely Dan. To me they didn't hit a bum note in their first run through (and including) Gaucho.

11. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

You spend two years laying down the rhythm section for one five-minute track?

12. boagas1883

boagas1883 Forum Resident

I first heard them via the Haitian Divorce single here in the UK.
    I've liked them ever since and have all their albums.

13. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

I wish I could. :D

14. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

15. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

16. BarryChicago

BarryChicago A Flower

I just can't get enough of the Dan right now... so I've started listening to the solo albums. The Nightfly is starting to grow on me, while I'm having a little trouble getting into Kamakiriad.

Other than that, there isn't a single Steely Dan album (or song) I don't like so far.

17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I love Kamakiraid. Its basically a Steely Dan album and slots into their catalog flawlessly.

18. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Hear, Hear. Just got done listening to Can't Buy a Thrill 3 times in a row. To my ears, these guys were perfect jazz, rock band,

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  19. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Like I've said before, given Becker's massive contributions musically, Kamakiriad should have gone out under the Steely Dan name. Becker made a bigger contribution to that album than he did to Gaucho.

20. BarryChicago

BarryChicago A Flower

As I choose to continually beat a dead horse, here's my thoughts on the Dan albums (including Fagen and Becker solo):

- The "Classic 7": No doubt, their best works!
    - The Nightfly: What everyone else seems to think...
    - Kamakiriad, 11 Tracks of Whack: Good, not great. But maybe I need to listen to them more...
    - Two Against Nature: A stellar comeback album for the Dan!
    - Everything Must Go: An easier first listen than 2vN, but I feel said album is superior.
    - Morph The Cat: Call me crazy, but just the first listen already makes me think that this is Fagen's greatest work.

As for Circus Money and Sunken Condos, I'm getting the feeling that I'm looking forward to the latter more than the former.

21. pez

pez Forum Resident

My stepdad was a huge fan but I always found them quite bland. I do however often play the track Jack Of Speed to test my equipment.

22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Great sound test tune indeed.

bluejimbop likes this.
  23. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

A recent reply reminded me of this thread...I was curious your opinion of the show you recently attended?

24. Say It Right

Very enthusiastic audience. Fagan responded well, and was as animated as he can be. :agree: The band was hot that night! Entered thinking that it'd probably be last pass (4th time seeing them seemed enough). Left wanting to do it again.

As mentioned, the set list could use more revitalization: swap "Peg" and "Joise" for "Deacon Blues" and "FM." Throw in something from left field too, like maybe "Here at the Western World." Like that Nightly material is being integrated.

Psychedelic Good Trip and mdent like this.
  25. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

Nice. Yeah, I saw them in July and would love to see them again.

Keith Carlock (drums) and Freddie Washington (bass) have immense skills playing live and perfect foundations for those grooves.

I'd love to hear Night by Night live!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.