Stephen Kings "Dark Tower" Film/TV Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rontoon, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Sad to say the Dark Tower series is now dead again at Amazon:

‘The Dark Tower’ Series Adaptation Not Going Forward At Amazon – Deadline

No word as to whether anybody else will pick it up. I think at this point, it's damaged goods and nobody will touch it.

It's a shame, because the books are a fantastic read. But no question, casting would be a challenge, and to do this right this would have to be a huge, epic series on the order of Game of Thrones or Westworld, and that's a huge financial risk.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  2. Well that’s too bad. The movie was like multi level bad but that shouldn’t have tanked a TV series. Sounds like the pilot just didn’t deliver or Amazon was scared by the additional price tag of a LOTR series. Given All of the success with King’s work lately (Doctor Sleep a curious exception), I’m surprised.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Come on, HBO... pick up this series! His Dark Materials will likely go another couple Seasons (unless they make the decision of adapting Pullman's prequel trilogy) so what better series to follow-up on with The Dark Tower?! Never did see the movie as I was already swayed by the negative reaction in the first place.

4. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

I’d love to see a Game of Thrones approach that starts with Wizard and Glass. It’s (IMHO, of, course) the best of the books and could incorporate the origin stories from the first book using the young(er) actors. Then they could pick up with book one and move forward.

One wonders if the King boomlet triggered by the first It has crested, however. Pet Sematary did just okay, Dr. Sleep tanked badly, the second It fell short of the first, neither of the current series based on the “detective” novels are attracting a lot of attention. (And for another topic, my understanding is that if I had written, “Neither series one or two... the correct verb would have been “is”, while writing “Neither series (plural) called for the verb “are”... please feel free to disagree) Anyway, at least King finished before we died. Maybe our grandchildren will see the video version in their lifetimes.

5. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Amazon spent so much for the rights to Lord of the Rings, not to mention the production costs, that they might have had second thoughts of going ahead full-throttle on The Dark Tower which is not something that would work well if they went cheap on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.