Stephen King's "The Stand" remake on CBS All Access

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Spaghettiows, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Spot on. No suspense or danger at all, so why bother. They would have almost been better showing us the key people during the pandemic rise and then just skip the flashbacks entirely and concentrate telling the story from Boulder on. Unlike others I think there are some fine performances in there and Tom Cullen especially is someone I am enjoying immensely so far so it is especially annoying that they have chosen this hacked up nonsense story telling. Feels like they tried to be 'King' like and are failing miserably.

The 'trucker' scene is adapted from the book where four men had a group of women hostage as their sex slaves. Susan Stern and Dayna are among them in the book. Susan Stern was one of the Boulder Free Zone leaders but it seems she is not used in this series. The scene was not used in the 1994 adaptation as it focused mostly on the original published version of the story and little of the 1990 uncut edition ended being used.

Obviously conjecture but I don't think the writers wrote it as we see the finished episodes. I think they wrote it as one would expect and then afterwards have tinkered. I will continue to watch because King himself writes the final episode and I obviously am very interested in this ending that will not match the book but otherwise I am underwhelmed.

coffeetime, '05Train and Pete Puma like this.
  2. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

When does episode five drop? Anyone notice Stephen King in the bus stop photo for Hemingford Home?

I have to say that the jumping around is starting to grate on me. There’s no tension.

coffeetime likes this.
  3. Phillip Walch

Episode 5 'Suspicious Minds' is out on the 14th, following episodes on 21st, 28th, Feb 4th, and finishing 11th Feb.

Yes, a dreadful poster too. Rather than a Easter egg it was nailed on. May as well have had a halo around King with arrows pointing to him.

4. Protoolned

Protoolned Forum Resident

My (with ads) subscription to CBS All Access runs out in a few weeks and I don't intend on renewing it. First, I have gigabit fiber optic internet and each and every show I watch contains a glitch in the audio and picture every few minutes. It's never on the commercials, only on programs. If I miss a line and need to go back a few seconds it locks up. If I'm lucky, it will immediately start playing a commercial and then lock up again afterward. I have to escape out of the service and then go back, with a commercial always starting first. Far too much trouble just to hear a missed line. I can't help wondering if it's all a planned annoyance to encourage me to upgrade to the more expensive plan. Meanwhile, my Netflix is flawless.

As far as The Stand, I have to admit, I'm spoiled. There are so many terrifically written and acted series these days that really know how to build and keep you on the edge of your seat. But The Stand isn't building and getting better with each episode. It's dragging now more than at the beginning. I'm at the point I just don't care enough to commit to it any longer, nor the network.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  5. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

From the very first episode and yes, it just gets worse as it goes along...:(

6. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Ezra Miller as Trashcan Man...killing it.

Scotian likes this.
  7. Phillip Walch

I am so frustrated by this series. There is so much that is fantastic and it is all getting lost in this bloody stupid back and forth and the trying to be clever.

VU Master and Scotian like this.
  8. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Maybe we’ll get a re-edited version someday.

9. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Huge fan of King and the novel.
    Mild fan of the '94 series.

But this new one is a big meh, terrible acting and production.

10. Phillip Walch

I feel the acting in general is decent. Who don't you like especially?

11. No problem with the acting and I enjoy the liberties taken with the story. The good budget helps too -that said, I enjoyed the ‘94 series more. I’m still watching and enjoying this one.

12. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I'm enjoying it also. I don't mind the timeline jumping around at all.

13. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Harold, Nadine, Randall are the first that come to my mind.
    The new series still has an outdated 90's feel if that makes any sense. I also enjoy the old series more which actually was from the 90s.

But I'm glad people enjoy it, maybe a sign that more King stuff will be filmed, hopefully better than this and The Dark Tower.

Phillip Walch likes this.
  14. Protoolned

Protoolned Forum Resident

I agree it feels outdated. You know what it looks like to me? TV. Just a TV show with a few cuss words and some light nudity thrown in. But it completely lacks the cinematic feel of so many other series these days. I've just finished Peaky Blinders and the Queen's Gambit on Netflix. Every individual episode looks/feels like a movie. By comparison, even with its computer-generated effects, The Stand stands small.

yesstiles, Scotian and Piiijiii like this.
  15. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Correct and very well said!

16. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I agree about Nadine and Flagg as they're both sort of flat, but I think Harold is spot on for the character. I also loved Ezra Miller as Trashcan Man...at least so far.

17. aroney

Cringeworthy...so far.

The show just keeps getting worse.

I may not make it to the finish... :(

18. Phillip Walch

Nadine is just so urgh. I can't offer more really. Dreadful.
    I think Owen Teague was an obvious choice to be fair after his performance in IT. I personally like his performance.
    Randall, oh dear Randall. Well the actor has a Skarsgárd in his name so he was always going to be chosen. I feel for him actually. It is clear he was given the direction to play 'normal bloke' and they will add in some evil vocal touches and scare the audience, yawn.

I think I do get your point about it being outdated. It feels already done for me. Again, as I have said at a few junctures in this thread there is much I do like about the series. I think there is some very decent acting, some great production and then it is all let down by too much trying to be King himself. Imitation rarely works. It all feels recycled, even though it should feel fresh and new. This series could have been so much more than what has turned out.

Piiijiii likes this.
  19. Nadine is not too engaging, particularly when compared to the fantastic performance this lady gave in the 94 mini-series:
    [​IMG]

20. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I think Trashcan Man done right SHOULD be cringeworthy.

21. aroney

The trouble is (for me) that he's played as so incompetent, unhinged and deranged that it seems incredibly far-fetched that Flagg would entrust him with such an (supposedly) important mission...

I get that's it's an end-of-world fantasy, but this strains suspension of disbelief BIG TIME.

Never thought I'd be looking back fondly on Matt Frewer's portrayal in the 94 series, but now I am...

coffeetime likes this.
  22. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I can see that. It's been a long time since I read the book, but I remember him as being so focused on fire that Flagg could trust him to do that ONE thing...probably because he'd be doing it anyway. I think they solidified that when he had him add the air to make the flames bigger.

23. Trashcan Man is a bit too over the top for my liking. The book presents a far less nuts character.

yesstiles likes this.
  24. aroney

Just one of countless missteps in this terrible series...:(

JohnG likes this.
  25. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I'm no expert in the field, but sawing the end off of a nuclear missile with a mini-grinder seems pretty unlikely.

Scott222C and JohnG like this.