Stephen Stills 2: Opinions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SurrealCereal, Aug 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

If Stills II is a weak album...

...think about how lucky music fans were in the early seventies...

905, Hep Alien, Bananas&blow and 10 others like this.
  2. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Love it.

Just picked up a 1st US Artisan PR pressing this week.
    Fantastic album.

Bluebird revisited is sublime.

3. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Isley Brothers certainly dug Stills 2. They covered a number of Stills songs.

4. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I agree. It's always been my favorite of his.

5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

My first solo Stills album back in the summer of 1971. Dated, but still a fave.
    "How do turtles talk to one another ... ?"

6. Davmoco

Davmoco Forum Resident

Stephen Stills was my musical hero when I was in high school. I was blown away by 'Buffalo Springfield Again', especially 'Bluebird'. His contributions to CSN and CSNY were my favorite cuts, and I enjoyed his first album. I tried and tried to like 'Stills 2', but never could. It started out great with 'Change Partners', but for me, the rest never came close. I thought the cuts with horns were, for the most part, bombastic, hot messes. (Still do.) The rock and blues cuts like 'Nothin to Do But Today' were lost in in echo chamber, as were some of the quieter cuts like 'Singin' Call'. I really hated 'Bluebird Revisited' and still do. I liked a lot of what he was trying to do with elements of Cuban music, but overall, it didn't work out like I think Stills planned. So much of what he tried here really worked out and came to fruition on 'Manassas, in my opinion.

I saw a show from the tour promoting the album, and other than Stills highlighting Steven Fromholz as his foil, it was disappointing. Some songs were awesome, but the horns and massed choral songs were still hot messes.

That's how I heard it. Still do.

7. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Great Lead Guitar by Eric Clapton on that one.

8. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

Good point. I graduated from high school in June of 1971, and the music released right around then was incredible. I got Stephen Stills 2 when it came out in June 1971 and really liked it, but also in that short time period of March through August
    that year we also got classics like Who's Next, Sticky Fingers, Every Picture Tells A Story, Aqualung, Ram, 4 Way Street, Every Good Boy Deserves Favor and LA Woman.

9. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Yeah, that's a great song, especially the slow part with horns.

10. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Yeah, it's pretty good. Best Stills solo album IMHO is this one…

[​IMG]

Bob J, Hep Alien, RockRoom and 5 others like this.
  11. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Bluebird revisited is my favorite, especially the thick sounding guitar solo towards the end. I think it is his Gretsch White Falcon I am hearing. His first two, his first Manassas and his Live album (half electric/half acoustic) are what I consider his core, essential albums. I have never considered "2" to be self indulgent!

Hep Alien and DTK like this.
  12. SKATTERBRANE

SS2 was the first CSN&Y related LP I ever bought. Had Stills retired after the first Manassas LP, he would have remained my favorite. His song writing got weaker as time went on (with exceptions). Young is more prolific but just as spotty as Stills. In any event SS2 is better than any solo or duet album Nash and or Crosby ever put out. The only ones that comes close are Songs For Beginners and the first C & N album. And Stills songs on the early CSN (&Y) albums have also been my favorite. But Neil Young's Everybody Knows, Harvest and Comes A Time remain my favorite from this bunch, along with the first 3 Stills albums, Songs For Beginners and Crosby, Stills and Nash, Deja Vu and CS&N. Crosby does not hold my attention for long.

belardd, CrombyMouse and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Picca...where you been? Haven't seen that avatar in forever

Picca likes this.
  14. Waymore Lonesome

Waymore Lonesome Forum Resident

what I can remember off the top of my head is Word Games and Change Partners and not a thing else. My impression from memory is that it was not a great album at all. If Manassas is indulgent by the way then I'm fine with him indulging in whatever it took to get that masterpiece out of him, and Down The Road is awesome anyone who denies it is a fraud and a charlatan!

15. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari
    Tehachapi to Tonapah

Bananas&blow and bonus like this.
  16. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

To paraphrase John Lennon (in regard to George Martin), "I'd like to hear some of Robert Christgau's music, please, y'know, just play me some!"
    If you like Down The Road, you'll love Manassas.
    I would agree. There's nothing wrong with the first two records but they are way too overproduced IMO. Stills is more restrained and low key.

bonus and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Stephen Stills, Stills 2, Manassas, Stills - all essential imho. Down The Road is good and Illegal Stills has its merits too.

Coming up with creative album titles wasn't his thing clearly...

The MEZ, SBMusic, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  18. SKATTERBRANE

I do not understand how or why a RESPECTABLE reviewer would ever let their opinion about the artist as a person influence their review of that person's work. If a notorious serial killer puts out a great album, does that make the album any less great?

DTK and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

I love the photo inside where he's in the mountain. Would have made a great cover.

Hep Alien, RockRoom and bonus like this.
  20. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

It lacks a hit singe but it's a more cohesive record than the first album and Bluebird Revisited is one of his strongest achievements.

21. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

change partners was a huge single

DTK likes this.
  22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's certainly unprofessional and lazy, but that used to be okay. Music journalism (in print) has improved imo. It's hard to understand why Christgau is so revered, must be simply because he was one of the first rock critics :confused:.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I stopped bothering with Mojo after reading a Little Feat review that focused more on Lowell George's waistline than his music.

Davmoco and vudicus like this.
  24. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

You've been willin', to be movin'!

Picca likes this.
  25. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Someone (I forget who) once asserted that Stills' Right By You was THE ONLY good CSNY solo album released in the 80s.

Yes: that was what they said.

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.