Stephen Stills: show your love & appreciation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, May 2, 2022.

1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

are you aware that it is each of them twice after the first verse? 8 total voices.

lemonade kid and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Lot of valid comments on Still’s “treatments” of acoustic guitars over his career, both recordings and in live performance.

Maybe worth considering- even earlier in his career, he used a ton of compression and a topping of judicious EQ on his acoustics. In search of a sound.

Listen to “Change Partners” for instance. That’s a great song played by a great player. But that’s not what an acoustic guitar actually sounds like in any room on this planet. So maybe his later excursions into more “chorus” type processing is just his next thoughts on this.

Not going to pass up on a chance to say I think the guy is a genius and one of my favorites since I’m posting anyway :)

lemonade kid, DTK, ExHead and 5 others like this.
  3. Ken Viola

Ken Viola Forum Resident

Stephen has always been a slow writer; absorbing influences in order to make his songs unique; there were few bursts; the period 68-72 incorporating the Bruce Palmer tuning; mid-ish 70s. The 'late 68 solo album' you are hoping for became CSN DejaVu SS 1 &2. Of course, Manassas another songwriting flood. Stockpiling & Parsing thereafter!

4. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I like the hyper compressed/EQ acoustic sound Stephen was using. “Colorado” from Manassas is crazy!

The chorus-y sound was way less interesting and immediately dates the sound.

The acoustic on Bluebird is one of the best sounding acoustics ever put to tape.

lemonade kid, DTK, ExHead and 3 others like this.
  5. PhilChef

PhilChef Forum Resident

I came to Stills in the early 90s. Was a huge NY fan, nearly swallowed the hype that CSN were only worth bothering with when he was with them but bought the 1991 CSN box. I think the constant comparison of Stills and Young does them both a huge disservice - they exist as 2 totally separate entities in my mind, who just happen to have collaborated over the years.

Taken as a while, Stills' 1970s work is up there with the very best. There aren't many artists who could contribute so much to 'group' albums and leave so much good stuff available for their solo works. Yes, he tailed off in the 80s with a severe slowing down of his work rate but ALL of his albums have something to recommend. Even Thoroughfare Gap is enjoyable in a disco Dead kind of way.

Anyone dismissing Stills, CSN, Crosby or Nash as Neil's less talented, hippy dippy buddies is denying themselves some truly great albums from 1969 through to at least 1983, with some highlights contained on plenty of albums thereafter. Surely there's more than enough room to appreciate the collective talents of CSNY without pitting the members against each other- God knows they're bad enough at doing that themselves. Plus I live in hope of a properly expanded Couch album, and a live Manassas set.

On a final note, I've only seen Stills live once on the tour that resulted on the Shepherds Bush live set. He was truly brilliant that night, spending the interval in the bar of the Manchester Apollo, chatting amiably with his fans - no sign of his apparent ego that night at all!!

supermd, bonus, chrisblower and 10 others like this.
  6. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I was at that Manchester Apollo concert. The connection between Stephen and those of us in the audience was extraordinary. One of the most magical gigs I've attended.

7. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Great show in Dublin on that tour too. After the gig a couple of friends and I took a chance on waiting outside a particular hotel in the city centre. We chose the correct one. Mr. Stills turned up a short time after our arrival and signed some albums for us. Happy days!

8. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

Steven has a sweet signature Gretsch guitar to help immortalize him.

Hep Alien and lemonade kid like this.
  9. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

His first album is a classic but I think 2 is a letdown after it. I personally think Manassas may be the best thing he ever put out and the sheer amount of great material on it is staggering. That being said, Down the Road is a real stinker IMO, with the exception of Isn't It About Time.

CCrider92 and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That's great! :righton:

11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Oh yes, amazing. Hendrix was impressed too according to Stills.

12. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

A Steve Stills connection:

An artist that I have loved since the 60's and whose album releases are among my favorites
    is Electric Ladyland/Steve Stills alum, legendary Mike Finnigan RIP. My first big introduction to Mike
    was through his collaboration with Jerry Hahn...The Jerry Hahn Brotherhood. A killer 1969
    blues/jazz/rock fusion LP from Columbia.

Then there was...

Crazed Hipsters/Finnigan & Wood 1972, Blue Thumb
    "Unblievable Rock 'n' Roll. A Rare and Highly Collectible Album
    featuring Vocals and Keyboards from Mike Finnigan. Does not get any better".

Mike Finnigan with Stephen Stills - Part Time Love - Concord Pavilion 1980
    Wow vocals!

Crazed Hipsters cover of "Down In The Food"...OMG...smokin'!!
    A knock your socks off reading of Dylan's classic rocker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bru6amZcj8Q

The full album if you want a taste of more Crazed Hipsters...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCBIcXBdc3c

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike Finnigan, best known for his B3 chops, selected discography:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
    Mark Snowden and Bruso like this.
  13. lemonade kid

Love The One Your With...live 1990
    hadn't lost a step live here!

Stephen & Mike

supermd, Hep Alien, Bruso and 2 others like this.
  14. lemonade kid

Hep Alien and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  15. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I remember seeing this when it aired. I love the horns. He should have toured with that horn section.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

is it it considered in poor taste if one waits for 23 pages here to say that Still is hands down one of the most prolific and gifted musical artists from a bygone era and that I hope he is still well.

i think not. i worshiped that guy as a kid. black ferrari killer songs voice and songs hanging on ridpath drive.

but for powder.

17. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Its never too late! Stephen Stills made so much of my favorite music. What an amazing dozen years he had.

pscreed, carlwm, rkt88 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I think that’s why we’re all here. Between 1966-73 (or 77 if feeling generous), he was at the top with any of them - Stones, McCartney, Stevie, Dylan, etc…

19. rkt88

Stills is and has always been an all time favorite of mine. Since the age of ten.

Chief and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

Hep Alien, Alan57, Bruso and 3 others like this.
  21. lp_zep

lp_zep Forum Resident

22. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Love this. It’s kind of the peak of Stills’ playing prior to getting into the wah-wah pedal. Dallas, Paul Harris and Fuzzy Samuels back there. It’s the proto-Manassas band that would combine with Hillman’s version of the Burritos

supermd, Hep Alien, carlwm and 3 others like this.
  23. rkt88

well put. for me that Stills trying to compete with Sly Stone for best frozen vocals ;)

I prefer his efforts that required less vocal push. but live is. well, live and that clip was "of the time" for sure.

24. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

It’s hard to believe this exists at all

supermd, Hep Alien, carlwm and 6 others like this.
  25. rkt88

stills was one funky cat. nice clip.

ive long said. stills is my favorite player/singer/writer of the era.

he nailed that falsetto. wild.

supermd, carlwm, csnfan and 3 others like this.