Steppenwolf Born To Be Wild alternate mixes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jon H., May 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon H.

Jon H. Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi Wolf fans -

Been immensely enjoying the recent Sundazed RSD reissue of the "true" mono mix of the debut Steppenwolf S/T album. Then I remembered hearing that the 45 mix on the "ABC/Dunhill Singles Collection" (Real Gone Music) was slightly different than the mono LP version. It's drier, and doesn't have "phasing" artifacts that are present on the Sundered mono LP.

And then I remembered the elusive alternate stereo mix, mastered by our host on the MCA "Vintage Collectibles Volume 2" CD. It's in stereo, but lacks the slide guitar at the end (played by John Kay?) and has a longer fadeout with more jamming.

So, to recap:
    Mix 1: mono 45, on singles and Singles Collection (Real Gone)
    Mix 2: mono fold down, on original US Dunhill "Monophonic" LP and other LP's worldwide purported to be mono; technically not a different mix as it's a fold
    Mix 3: newly discovered true mono mix, with "phasing" sounds on the drums at the beginning and the break, on the Sundazed mono reissue LP
    Mix 4: stereo version - on Dunhill Stereo LP and most compilations, and the one we've heard the most!
    Mix 5: alternate stereo mix, found by Steve in the MCA vaults?

Any light to shed on this, @Steve Hoffman ?

Thanks.

YardByrd, Les26, Tjazz and 2 others like this.
  2. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

Interesting . I've not heard of MCA "Vintage Collectibles Volume 2" before. Thanks

Crimson Witch likes this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Crimson Witch and Jon H. like this.
  4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

5. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

There was also a version with a motorcycle intro on the Easy Rider soundtrack.

6. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

I once recorded a version of the song with a motorcycle intro...I'm a "One Man Band"...meaning that I play all the different instruments myself. Then I made a comedy music video of me driving around in a scooter pretending to be a bad ass. Some people don't like comedy making fun of their favorite music...but if you listen you should be able to tell that I am a real fan of Steppenwolf...I hope. I did the video comedy style because it's hopeless to really look as badass as the real Steppenwolf...so I didn't even try. Oh yeah, the clip is interspersed with footage of me on a sound-stage playing the various instruments also.

Jason Pumphrey and Crimson Witch like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.