Stereo SACDs - Why Bother?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by World of Genesis, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vedric

Vedric New Member

If people are happy with the performance of their theater processors or receivers for music performance, fine. Let me tell you from experience none of these units closely match a quality 2ch. preamp. I'm not and never will be ready to drop the kind of money on a multi-channel pre that gives me identical sound quality to the best 2ch pre's out there. Also consider amplification and interconnect within a given budget, you lose in the end. Dollar for dollar a 2ch setup will always out perform a multichannel setup in every aspect of music reproduction.

I am of the firm belief that many people have not truly heard what a great stereo system can do. This "magic" is something I'm only recently beginning to understand and my system will slowly evolve to achieve this goal.

To date, the best system I've heard is as follows:

- A golden ratio room with 1" thick drywall covered with a very rough textured paint job for diffusion. Bass traps were used and the room which measures flat from 20hz to 20,000 khz (+/- 3db'ish).

- Dedicated AC with Richard Grey power company gear stacked 2 or 3 deep.

- Levinson 37 transport with 390S processor.

- Audio Research Reference2 mk2 preamp

- Audio Research VT100MKII amp

- Vandersteen model 5A speakers.

- Cables were Audioquest (volcano speaker) and Acoustic Zen IC's.

- Vinyl rig was slightly better sounding but I refused to listen extensively to it. (I'm resisting the urge to get a vinyl rig).

This system retail would be around 50k. This is a very expensive system no doubt. Let me say I would MUCH rather have this system over a 50k multichannel setup ANY day of the week. My eyes were opened to say the least. I can only imagine what a Meitner trans and dac6 could do in this setup!

Vedric

2. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

I think what the people who prefer mono or stereo are afraid of is that if the biggest attention is given to releases having a multichannel mix, then perhaps less attention (read: less quality control) will be applied to the mono or stereo mix. i.e. the new Pet Sounds DVD-A. Which I must confess I haven't heard, but most on this forum seem disappointed, especially with the mono mix.

Hey PMC7027(David):

Gee, I love mixes like you just described. I've heard other mixes like that, but can't think of the songs right now off the top of my head.

It's okay if we disagree...

3. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Hey Scott...how'd you like to hear Unit Structures in multi? ;)

4. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Of course it is!

5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Not even a power failure could kill this thread?
    :D

6. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Unit Structures in mch would be a total mind****!

7. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

My only market objection to surround sound is that the surround mix may be the "extra" for, say, a Beatles or Elvis Presley release, with no bytes left for the original mono mix in hi-rez.

8. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Too skinny for me. :)

Vedric,

Nice system. I have yet to put in 1" thick drywall but maybe by next summer.

I can tell you from experience that the VT100 from ARC is one natural sounding and detailed amp.

I have also had superb luck with Cardas Golden Ratios for my Maggie placement.

:thumbsup:

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Backup generators!:D

10. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

The powers back but this thread seems to be on drugs!

11. wynnwikman

wynnwikman Senior Member

What a funny question. I buy SACDs (and DVD-A) only for their hires stereo version. I have no interest in 5.1 until i can afford to upgrade whole stereo (except turntable) in a dedicated hifi room (many years from now) I can enjoy the improvements that the stereo (or mono) hires versions offer right now. By the time i upgrade to 5.1 or whatever is next - CDs, SACD or otherwise will probaly be passe.

Wynn

12. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I wonder how many folk are not interested in 5.1 because they can't afford the extra equipment, or do not care to spend the $$ for it.

My guess is a lot.

13. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

I think in many cases you are correct but I also think that there are many stereo "purists" here who would rather spend mucho dollars on interconnects than save for a decent 5.1 system (which isn't really that expensive). I think the issue is personal taste and priorities - you can either spend your money on old collectable vinyl and unbelievably priced interconnects or discover new ways to listen to music (I think you can sense where I might fall ;) ). To each their own, but this debate will always exist here between "riff-raff" music fans (like me, spinning their Dr Ebbetts CD-r's) and the audiophile purists (spinning their BC-13 sets on vintage equipment).

Cliff

14. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

What if you are a "riff-raff" guy like me, AND also like it the other way too? Kind of a "cover all bases" kind of situation. (excepting MP3's, of course)

For example, give me "She Loves You" in mono, give me "A Day in the Life" in 5.1!

15. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

No, that describes me as well. I didn't say liking new ways of listening to music excludes appreciating the fine mono sounds of the EP Box Set or Sgt Pepper in mono. :) . But I've got A Day In The Life in mono - now give it to me in 5.1 Hi Rez. That won't satisfy the "purists" who prefer hi-rez mono over the hi-rez 5.1. Ideally, we'd have both, but I don't think Apple sees it that way.

Cliff

16. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

Actually if you really wanna be in the riff-raff club, you'll accept higher sampled MP3's (greater than 192 kpbs) when you don't have another source (easily or cheaply obtained) and you'd think mini-discs are o.k. for archiving music (again, when the preferred method of CD archiving is not easily possible ) :) . Us riff-raff's are into the music, not the wave readings or those hard-to-listen-to sealed CD's ;) .

Again, in an ideal world, we'd have Steve-mastered hi-rez multichannel discs (and seriously, I'm not the fawning type but The Zombies SACD really converted me along with some select DCC titles). But when that fails, music is the be-all-end-all.

Cliff

17. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Okay, MP3's are out unless it is stuff that is rare and hard to find like some European music that was only issued there. I'm not riff-raff I'm MC at high rez. The new frontier. Some don't like to go there. They will eventually, just give it time. I don't have $100,000 to spend on a "stereo" times 2.5. I don't think you need to spend that. I have the best sound that I have ever had in the 40 years I have been listening to music. Oh well................I'm happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.