Stereolab - 2019 Reissue Campaign and a live return

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kevimetal, Dec 4, 2018.

1. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

Yea, I hate preordering and then having to wait long past the release date to receive something. Kind of defeats the purpose of the preorder imo. I also bought the obi edition of both albums and haven’t heard anything about shipping

BeardedSteven likes this.
  2. arem

arem Forum Resident

Again with the PVC outer sleeves? What a waste, more harmful plastic in the garbage. Give us something archival we can use!

3. gomen ne

gomen ne -

I got a shipping notice this morning from Duophonic for the obi strip issue of Transient. The non-obi clear vinyl Mars Audiac Quintet I ordered from from Rough Trade was apparently shipped yesterday, but 2nd class. Release date tomorrow. :bdance:

SoundDoctor likes this.
  4. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Ordered black vinyl Mars Audiac Quintet and obi strip Transient CD from Duophonic HF Disks and no shipping notice. But it could all of a sudden show up at my door!

5. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

It has been my experience that bleep has always had the pre orders go out later. At least in my corner of the world.

NorthNY Mark and SoundDoctor like this.
  6. gomen ne

gomen ne -

My Transient clear vinyl with obi arrived just now - #16/500 - unfortunately I didn't win on the scratchcard. Bon chance everybody :righton:.

7. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

They're here, they're clear and I am one happy soul. :D:D:D:D

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  8. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Still haven't even got a shipping notice from Duophonic. :sigh:

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  9. octophone

I bought mine in a shop. That seems to have gone out of fashion a bit but then, more and more people don't have a shop in their town where they could acquire such things.

sparkmeister likes this.
  10. Dreaddazzman

I buy a lot of stuff from my local. It was questionable whether or not they could/would bring these in at all, plus I wanted the OBI, scratchcard version to boot so I bought them direct.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    NorthNY Mark and octophone like this.
  11. octophone

Fair enough. I was originally going to nab the CD editions so wasn't bothered by such matters but when my local store had the clear vinyl editions sitting there at £26 each, I had to jump.

12. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Picked up the clear vinyl versions at my local shop at lunchtime. I'm at work, so haven't had a chance to play them, but the packaging is beautiful. Top marks.

13. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Sounds quality reviews please!! :D

14. carnivalofheight

carnivalofheight Well-Known Member

There's some pretty positive comments already on the Stereolab Forum...:D

"Got my download links for MAQ and TRNBWA in my email today. Downloaded the FLAC files and haven't taken my headphones off since. I am on my third listen to MAQ and did a bit of a—b comparisons with the original. It is cleaner, more detailed and NOT brickwalled as so many reissues lately. It really is like getting two new releases with all of the bonus material."

“Transona Five on new MAQ is a bit longer, with an actual ending instead of cutting mid-jam into the next track. Similarly, Des Etoiles Electroniques also goes longer then stops instead of fading out.”

Transona Five 6:21 vs 5:32

Des Etoiles Electroniques 4:01 vs 3:19

These are longer too:

Three Longers Later 3:43 vs 3:28

The Stars Our Destination 3:57 vs 2:58

Only Analog Rock is significantly longer on TRNBWA 4:38 vs 4:13

Rob Hughes and musictoad like this.
  15. Dreaddazzman

Just got this email:

Dear Customer

Thanks for pre-ordering the Stereolab Obi strip edition. We're very sorry but due to the late arrival of stock in the US this is slightly delayed. We hope to send these out to you later on today. Please be aware you can access the download of the full album from inside your account.

Bleep Stores Support

16. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Got 5 matching Cliffs on the scratchcard....my lucky day!

17. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Just got this email too. Rarrrghhh

18. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

Same. I'm rather relieved, though, as at least I don't have to worry that my order was somehow lost or forgotten, which is easy to think when so many others are talking about receiving albums or shipping notices.

SoundDoctor and Dreaddazzman like this.
  19. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I'm fine with this explanation too. Better for them to be individually shipped from the US vs individually from overseas.

20. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Playing Transient at the moment, sounds alive. Based off the original CD I've had for years, its sounds great. I have Mars to play later

Checked all the pressings, all OK apart from Disc 1 of Transient, which has a nasty edge warp on it, so will try a replacement.

(Black vinyl editions)

Not a fan of poster pull-out liner notes though

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  21. zither

zither Forum Resident

Picked up the black versions today. Nice thick card stock sleeves, which feels like they haven't skimped on the QC apsect. 'Transient' sounds great, and they are mostly all flat and centred, apart from one side. Hey, 11 out of 12 isn't a bad ratio!

SoundDoctor likes this.
  22. octophone

I got 3 on one and 2 on the other. :cry:

23. octophone

Yeah, they seem to have let the tracks just run to their endings rather than fading anything. "International Colouring Contest" comes to a full conclusion too.

carnivalofheight likes this.
  24. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Exactly what I got with the Transient OBI CD set. No word on Mars Audiac Quintet black vinyl yet.

25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Hmmmm.... I wonder if this is actually a good thing. It changes the dynamics of the album. And it's not as if "Mars Audiac Quintet" was suffering from "Ramones Syndrome". In fact it originally could house two early Ramones albums. 67 minutes...... :evil: