Stereolab - 2019 Reissue Campaign and a live return

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kevimetal, Dec 4, 2018.

1. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

? The original vinyl was a double.

Willowman likes this.
  2. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Not in the US, it wasn't...so I suppose that answers my question haha

3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Same here. Got "Cobra" this summer and thought it was very good!

Depends on the version. The Duophonic release always was a double album. Either yellow glitter or black and housed in a unipack.

Unfortunately there also was a German/ US Elektra vinyl version which managed to squeeze the 57 minutes onto a single disc, housed in a single sleeve.

4. Zapruder

Yep, the only ones I've heard are the US Elektra and the 1972 double CD--er, LP. I feel like I still haven't heard this album properly.

funknik and Neonbeam like this.
  5. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Sorry, didn't realise the non-duophonic releases crammed everything onto one disc. Pretty bad! I think we'll get a 2LP reissue. Emporer isn't on my list as I have the uk black vinyl. I'll be after Mars Audio and Dots and Loops. Would also love a stand alone Music for the body. I know it's on aluminum tunes but a nice RSD reissue with the cool artwork would be great.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    kevimetal and GordonM like this.
  6. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident

So I've heard. Hope the upcoming reissue sounds just as good as the original LP.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  7. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

D&L was very well recorded so I am sure they will be able to do it justice.

Of all these I am most excited about Emperor. I am sure it will be on 2LP. I have the single LP on Elektra and it is very weak.

8. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

It will be nice to finally have Emperor on vinyl. I’ve just had the US cd. I remember seeing the glitter vinyl when it was new but it was a tad pricey for me at the time being an import 2xlp. Same with the cloth bound version of Sound-Dust. I just couldn’t justify dropping 50 bucks on it, and my shop never got the regular edition.

9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I guess you've got a point here!
    Just one of those other pointless record company tactics. Duophonic was allowed to cover the UK market while the "official" German release was this utterly pointless Elektra single disc. Guess how many record stores went to great lengths to order the UK import? It also would have been substantially more expensive. Then there's the fact that in 1996 it wasn't that easy to learn about regional differences in new releases. Discogs? :evil:

Thank God I've always had great record stores like Freak Out or Dead & Free. Sadly both defunct now...

10. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

I wonder if the Elektra era albums are still owned by Warners or if the band/management/someone else picked up the rights during the recent Warners catalogue divestment?

11. Zapruder

I seem to remember reading a while before this announcement that Tim had purchased the Elektra catalog.

12. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

That would make a lot of sense.

13. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

The original issue is also one of the best looking LPs I own!

[​IMG]

Agree with this - a stand-alone copy of Music for the Amorphous Body Study Center would be fantastic. Too much to hope for? I'm looking forward to finally getting a vinyl copy of Emperor.

Sci-Flyer, team2, NapalmBrain and 5 others like this.
  14. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Though D&L is by far not my favorite album by the groop, that is pretty sweet I will admit!

15. kevimetal

kevimetal Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wish I could 'like' this post more. Perfection.

16. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

To even call the 1972 releases a CD is too kind to the turds they where. Even the original stereolab CDs sound good.

More like a CD dubbed to a worn tdk cassette.

17. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

It one of the most artfully done colored vinyls I seen. Not a gimmick like most ( hey kids 3rd pressing now on swirl/marble vinyl)

On top the the fact the pressing sounds AMAZING!

Echoes Myron and GordonM like this.
  18. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Very cool news!

However, I'd rather see a McCarthy reunion. :hide:

kevimetal likes this.
  19. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

What about this elephant in the room:

[​IMG]

20. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

I only hope it's a green translucent pressing for Dots and Loops. That one of my personal favorite albums of theirs as well and I'll be happy to get that. Question is if these are Duophonic reissues or Too Pure (they both seem to be handling things right now).

I saw Stereolab....3 times I guess? Maybe more. Hopefully they'll do the US again.

21. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

Yippee! Dots and Loops is amazing and I'd snap up several others.

I have Sound Dust but Dots and Loops seems to be rather rare.

22. reverendjim

reverendjim Forum Resident

Saw them twice on their tour with Sonic Youth (which I think was soon after the big SY guitar theft...???). Would love to see them again.

Is there any sense that these reissues might be expanded in any way, or is the expectation that they’ll be straight reissues? I kind of assume the latter (the recent “Peng” and “The Groop Played...” LPs are no-frills, correct?), but the group Instagram has been posting pictures of all sorts of old goodies, giving the impression that they’re certainly trawling through the archives.

23. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

I'd assume straight reissues but maybe yet another Switched On comp will show up

vcpj and reverendjim like this.
  24. reverendjim

reverendjim Forum Resident

Would be very happy with a Switched On 4 to tie things up, would also like it if they tacked a disc of outtakes/demos/live bits (that is: non-“Switched On” material) onto each album. I agree with you, though, that these will probably just be straight reissues.

vcpj likes this.
  25. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

Will this be reissued? This was never included on any of the SWITCHED ON... compilations:

[​IMG]

Summerisle, Guy E and GordonM like this.