Stereolab - 2019 Reissue Campaign and a live return

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kevimetal, Dec 4, 2018.

1. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

Track 8 Analogue Rock again has one of the snare drums? in a more prominent position in the right ear. It immediately leaps out at you and the sound is allowed to breathe and exist pretty high in the mix with the high-hats able to be heard easier I think. Excuse me if I am getting the drum names wrong. I think it sounds worse on the original as the drum is extremely prominent competing with the singer.

It then switches to the left ear for a bit and goes back to the right. The drum is still prominent, is it snare?, but it has kind of a muffled and toned down sound on the remaster. This difference is one of the bigger ones I found on this CD all told. I think it might favor the remaster, but others could see this differently. I just don't think this drum deserves that much space in the mix all told as it had in the original.

Very interesting to hear the subtle differences. Will be eager to test these on my 6.5 CDTs with silk tweeters.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    svet_so likes this.
  2. gohill

gohill Senior Member

A lot smaller. The Renfrew Ferry for ETK supported by Broadcast. Great concert.

3. team2

team2 Forum Resident

By the time Oscillons came out in '05, I passed on it since I had all the original EP's. Most of them are on CD, but I have Fluorescences, Miss Modular and The Free Design on 12" vinyl -- I treasure those to this day!

4. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

Had no idea this was being reissued.. kicking myself for not picking up the limited clear vinyl.
    Only 500 made.
    [​IMG]

5. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  6. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

Well just got done demo'ing Transient on my 6.5 inch HD CDTs in car, and the new remaster sounded excellent there with much less bother in the mid to top end. I think slightly warmer equipment will very much benefit these remasters. On my HD600s it still sounds good, but at times the top end on guitars can get icy, probably because these are fairly neutral and even peaky in the mid to higher ranges.

I think I can probably call these definitive at this point. The original might be a bit laid back of course, and that might be what people desire for whatever reason, but I think the clarity here makes them sound more like a band. And on tracks like I mentioned before where they obviously tamed the Snare, or whatever, it seems like they went over everything pretty well here and designed it nicely for solid, modern mastering.

Add in the extra bass and depth and you have a really fine presentation of the material.

7. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

Yayastone and Dreaddazzman like this.
  8. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Blimey, what a bill. And at The Ferry? Jeez, even The Fall could do two nights at The Ferry...

9. octophone

I sold some 'Lab vinyl back when I was broke but I still have my JO, PP and W&F 10"s - after that I was onto CDs really.

team2 likes this.
  10. octophone

(and my Lo-Fi and Super-Electric 10"s as well...although they're technically outwith this discussion...)

11. aerostace

aerostace Under the stairs, beneath the stars

Here's a track that may have slipped under the radar for some people (i.e. me!)

It's a remix of a track ‎from a 1968 album entitled The Way-out Record for Children by an electronic artist called Bruce Haack.

Max Florian and Guy E like this.
  12. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I'm curious, has anyone here been enjoying the demo recordings?

They should be interesting to me, but I couldn't even get through one listen on the first pair of reissues.

13. svet_so

svet_so Well-Known Member

Same for me. I think it’s more a curiosity or behind the scenes thing. It should be interesting to hear some of the beginnings of different ideas in the next batch of them though.

14. octophone

The first batch of demos were always going to be the most raw and I've only run through then twice; once on the vinyl and once on the FLAC files. Next batch could be more interesting.

15. Sci-Flyer

Sci-Flyer Forum Resident

Was at that one also - fell in love with Broadcast at that gig. Saw them a handful of times at the Garage too. Later on I also saw them at the QMU.

Think I saw them in Edinburgh too around that time - I know they played the Queen’s Hall but missed that. Might have been the Venue?

16. Basil Tahan

Basil Tahan Well-Known Member

I hope this is not too off topic. I have search everywhere for the answer to this question with no luck.

First, a short background. At one time, I owned every piece of stereolab vinyl. I created a visual discography that some here might be interested in:
    labdisco2015small2.pdf

I ripped than all to HiRes files and sadly old most of it.

My Question:

Even Martin Pike, the band's manager doesn't know the answer to this.

Every version of Brittle is about 3:45. I have a vinyl rip of Super 45 that has a version of Brittle that is 2:03. I know it is not cut off prematurely as I ripped the entire side as one file and it is the first song on the side.

It is possible that it was ripped from the "10 inch pressed on 12 inch platter". Martin posted a photo of an early DAT: Duophonic UHF Disks on Instagram: “DS45-01”
    on Instagram that shows a Brittle #1 and Brittle #2.

To this day, I prefer my vinyl rips (crackle and pops and all) to any digital versions that have been released.

If anyone here has that 10" on 12" platter of Super 45 and could check, I could end my quest. Thank you kindly.

17. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Max Florian likes this.
  18. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident

If you want an obscure Lab track then I cant think of one more obscure than this

rancher likes this.
  19. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

I've never heard of it, much less heard it!

3Dman likes this.
  20. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

Just got a delivery update from Amazon for Dots & Loops:
    Estimated arrival date: October 02, 2019 - October 07, 2019

21. svet_so

svet_so Well-Known Member

Did you manage to snag the obi?

Very keen for these ... not long now. Hopefully I can get my preorders at my local on release day, which will be Friday here in Oz... will make for an excellent weekend.

Devilscucumber likes this.
  22. octophone

I noted a tweet/Instagram post yesterday showing the obi's for Sound Dust and Margerine Eclipse being prepared. Surely we're not going to have pre-orders for these before we've got the next batch in our paws?

BeardedSteven and Rob Hughes like this.
  23. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

If they are still releasing the next batch in November they might be up sooner for preorder rather than later. It would be weird to put them up before batch 2 ships put but they might want it done before heading back on tour?
    Last time they teased the obi pics preorders went up 4 days later.... I will be watching my emails closely this week.

octophone and hamicle like this.
  24. octophone

Oh boy, there goes my productivity. :winkgrin:

BeardedSteven likes this.
  25. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I think they also teased the next Lab Report (email with preorder links) a couple of days in advance too. I’ll be watching for that.