Stereolab - 2019 Reissue Campaign and a live return

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kevimetal, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That's funny because I'm preferring that sound.

2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Definitely not an edge exclusive thing. I've got records where the necklace shows up in the middle of a side. Even though I don't think I've ever seen it on the last third of a side. Jesus... this is a discussion that only could happen here. :biglaugh:

But non fill is annoying as hell. And I'm kicking myself for not having this knowledge around 2005.

Mumdad likes this.
  3. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

I still am confused about this. My new clear copy of Space Age Batchelor Pad Music is perfectly pressed and sounds great

4. gomen ne

gomen ne -

I totally agree with you. I don't mind Cobra as an LP, but that's where I stopped buying Stereolab in the 90s/00s. I think Peng!, Switched On 1, Low-Fi etc are the ones I love most, but right up to Dots & Loops are the ones I play a lot. I am quite unfamiliar with Cobra and the subsequent albums, though I will be buying the next batch of reissues - they will be like new albums to me. Cobra's OK - it just doesn't keep my attention.

YoGarrett, Neonbeam and LFSDoc like this.
  5. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I’m really enjoying this latest set of reissues. It’s helps that they’re three of my favourite LPs by anyone, but what’s grabbing my attention is the demos. This period is where they went to town with more and more complex arrangements. It’s lovely to hear the songs in their first, simpler incarnations. Wonderful, unforgettable melodies and chord sequences.

Something like Caleidoscopic Gaze is a production tour-de-force on the LP. But the demo is a little thing of beauty in its own right.

Mumdad and Echoes Myron like this.
  6. Trey A

Trey A Forum Resident

Just want to say that this was a very helpful post. I am confident now that the minor imperfections on my copy of Cobra are not the non-fill that others are referring to.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  7. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Listening to my clear 'Cobra..' and seem to have lots of little bursts of non-fill too.

8. LucaB

LucaB Forum Resident

I received my black vinyl Cobra this afternoon. I started with side B and it sounded terrific throughout. I am now through Free Design on side A and this sounds excellent as well. All discs are flat and clean. I am happy.

I really enjoyed Tim’s notes. Genial and lots of cool details. I am looking forward to checking out the demos.

ETK and D&L are due next week.

Devilscucumber likes this.
  9. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

My black vinyl Dots & Loops was perfect except for slightly off-center Disc 2. ETK & Cobra should be here this week. (Concur on the increase in bass).

10. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

If you haven't received yours yet, I suggest contacting Duophonic. Here is the response I received from the the shipping company - pretty irritated with this whole situation:

Thank you for verifying the details and sorry for the trouble caused to you.

I am sorry to inform you that your parcel is held in customs since 13th September. In this case, we request you to contact the sender of the parcel and ask them to contact us to clear the parcel from customs. This is for your parcel's security.

We appreciate your cooperation in this case.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  11. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

Yes, I am still stuck in customs too. Ugh!!! Thanks for the info. I will send Duophonic an email today.

[edit: email sent]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Dreaddazzman likes this.
  12. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I bought these. They are a little too big. I think meant for double jewel case CDs but they work.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S30ZYFU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

GordonM likes this.
  13. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

Headed to the 930 Club show in DC on Wednesday. Curious if others here have seen them this tour. Can't wait of course...

14. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

Seeing them tonight!

15. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

Just had my email back from Bleep/Ochre asking for Cobra and Phases sound clips and saying they should be able to sort replacements out.

Good news, I just hope the replacements are better!

16. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

mmm, send them samples last week, haven’t heard since. I’ll give ‘m another day and send them a reminder.

17. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

As I mentioned a couple of pages back, when they sorted replacements (which were exactly the same unfortunately) for my TRNBWA there was a month between my sending the sound clips and them getting back to me.

Doubt it'll do any harm to email them again but I'm confident they won't have forgotten about you and will get it sorted. I've got to give them full credit for trying to fix things really, even if it wouldn't hurt to keep people in the loop a little more.

Beaker73 likes this.
  18. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

Hmm, Amazon UK just refunded me for ETK and Cobra as it "has been returned to Amazon" wtf? So it was due on Friday but got recalled to base. Tried to find out why, but talking to Chat People just gets you frustrated, when re-ordering I did notice ETK has dropped a couple of pounds

19. mkruszek

mkruszek New Member

Mine copy of Cobra (clean) has the same problems as mentioned before.
    I ordered two copies, so i hope the second one (should arrive within few days) will be better. It's really dissapointing that the non-fill appears on my favourite track form LP (Puncture In The Radax Permutation). On the other hand, luckily i matched five Cliffs!

20. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

Last night's show in DC was pretty sweet. This is all subjective of course but I thought things took a while to get going - maybe it's the anticlimax of actually seeing Stereolab after so many years and having the impossible expectation that it will feel like the 1990s again and Mary Hansen will reappear miraculously... That said once Miss Modular hit the set in the fourth spot things seemed to get on track - or maybe I lightened up, who knows. They thrived on the longer instrumental stretches in songs like Anamorphose and the set ended strongly with Crest - a song I've always loved for it's deeply profound lyric "If there's been a way to build it, There'll be a way to destroy it, Things are not all that out of control" - followed by a jammed out Lo Boob Oscillator. The encore was mellow, the crowd was adoring - and obsessed with the merch table! 4 Stars.

21. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

It's funny, a friend of mine saw them recently and despite not being massively familiar with their material he said exactly the same thing about them not really hitting their stride until twenty minutes or so in.

I was sad I missed it as I've only seen them twice before - in 1999 and 2009. Hopefully there'll be another chance to keep that going for 2019!

22. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

Just had a shipping notification for what I assume to be the replacment discs, I guess if people haven't heard pretty soon it'll be worth giving them an email.

23. findog3103

findog3103 Forum Resident

My replacement discs are also on their way.

24. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

I would love to have just gotten my original order at this point :mudscrying:

BeauZooka likes this.
  25. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

thanks! Would love to hear from anyone else who saw the show or has seen another recently